Majors.

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Majors.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Majors.

Hey i wanted to know something. If i wanted to be a concept artist later on would a good major to take be Industrial Design? or how can i be on my way into doing drawings for maybe game covers or doing concepts for maybe some more Star Wars movies? is Industrial Design hard to get through? any tips or information would be great. hope to get some feedback. thanks.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I.D is good if the school you're going to teaches a lot of drawing objects/plans out rather than doing stuff on the computer. The University here looks like they've switched to mostly using 3d programs like cad and 3dsmax etc. and I've heard a few other schools have gone that way too- they aren't teaching the students a lot of perspective/drawing which is what ID's probly most useful for if you're lookin to get into concept art. ID teaches function/design then esthetics, I think that's why ppl think it's useful. There's different kinds of ID, most schools only over some kind of basic ID where you design products, but if you go to art center or somewhere they have different fields of ID which you can chose, and they seem really cool (like entertainment design). If you can't get into that then maybe just buyin a few perspective books, etc. would be more useful.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

thanks

hmm sounds good. are you taking an ID course? im going to a community college right now so i think they are just teaching the regular product design of what you were talking about. I plan to go to an art center to take up some entertainment design or illustration..im kinda just looking at some of my favorite artist resumes and seeing what thier education in art was and i see that alot have took ID courses so thats why i asked. Well im still open for some more opinions and i guess i should put some artwork some where on here soon, so look out for me. thanks Lev.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I kind of agree with Lev_O in that sometimes the major title itself may not include the courses you need. It all comes down to the classes that are being offered. If the program you go into doesn't offer any classes on the human figure in addition to the design courses then you must do more strategizing. How many elective spaces does the program offer? If it offers many electives then you can possibly add on that missing figure study class. At my school, Savannah College of Art and Design, our Sequential Art department has a certain similarity to the Product Design department. You learn a variety of media. You learn how to design. However, the emphasis is on the human figure/character in Sequential Art. Look at the class structure. If you can, grab a few syllabi off of teachers. This gives you a good idea of how much bang you'll get for your buck BEFORE you take the class.
    It's all strategy. "Choose your battles wisely" a friend of mine once said. You don't want to over extend yourself, but you don't want to be too narrow. After all, you may have to draw up a concept for just about anything.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.