Portfolio examples

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Portfolio examples

Hello conceptart community, my name is Sam, obviously, and I've been lurking about this site for quite a bit. However, I finally have a question that is so pressing that I have been forced to actually register on the site.

Currentley I'm still in high school, I'm going to the Calarts summer program in a few days for classical animation, but I'm not sure what I'll be doing once I finish that program and my last year in high school. (Something animation or illustration related eventually, I'm sure.)

Basically, I'd like to know three things:

1. Where can I find examples of portfolios that were used to get into Art Center, so that I can see the quality of work that "1st term-ers" have. I visited the school and met with the vice-director-coordinator person? I think that's who she was, she was very nice and helpful. Anyways, it's one of the schools I'm interested in looking at after I do a few years of college life, since it is unlikely at best that I would get in straight from high school, and I'd like to know the level of the work that are being accepted.

2. What kind of preparation do you suggest for entering the "Art College Application World"? As in, are there good prep schools for colleges such as Art Center and Calarts? (I know the part about drawing a lot. I've got that covered.) Feel free to advertise prep or undergrad colleges you visited when YOU were my age :-p

3. Any books or websites that you find helpful as reference, (Not "from reference" pictures or anything, I don't draw from anything but life.) like rendering techniques or just interesting artist's websites.

Hope that wasn't too much. Thanks,
    Sam.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I imagine that the one who will be of most help to you in the portfolio area would be your professor for this summer program.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Xmarksthesam
    Hello conceptart community, my name is Sam, obviously, and I've been lurking about this site for quite a bit. However, I finally have a question that is so pressing that I have been forced to actually register on the site.

Currentley I'm still in high school, I'm going to the Calarts summer program in a few days for classical animation, but I'm not sure what I'll be doing once I finish that program and my last year in high school. (Something animation or illustration related eventually, I'm sure.)

Basically, I'd like to know three things:

1. Where can I find examples of portfolios that were used to get into Art Center, so that I can see the quality of work that "1st term-ers" have. I visited the school and met with the vice-director-coordinator person? I think that's who she was, she was very nice and helpful. Anyways, it's one of the schools I'm interested in looking at after I do a few years of college life, since it is unlikely at best that I would get in straight from high school, and I'd like to know the level of the work that are being accepted.

2. What kind of preparation do you suggest for entering the "Art College Application World"? As in, are there good prep schools for colleges such as Art Center and Calarts? (I know the part about drawing a lot. I've got that covered.) Feel free to advertise prep or undergrad colleges you visited when YOU were my age :-p

3. Any books or websites that you find helpful as reference, (Not "from reference" pictures or anything, I don't draw from anything but life.) like rendering techniques or just interesting artist's websites.

Hope that wasn't too much. Thanks,
    Sam.

My best suggestion would be to actually go to Art Center and look around or at least ask a counselor there to show you actual examples of accepted portfolios. I'm sure some will be utterly amazing and some won't be. Most art schools would love phenomenal talent but for the most part, they want to know can a student understand the basics of drawing. You're going to art college to learn and grow- not to rule the place just yet!

Any intense summer arts programs at an arts college should be able to give you some of that prep that you need. Try not to obsess on being totally prepared either. Try to just soak it all in because as prepared as you'd like to be and as much as you think you are, there are always going to be curveballs in life tossed at you. Realize that you're growing artistically and as a person too. It's a wonderful time of your life to explore so don't be afraid in that respect

As far as websites, books & reference materials- there are literally hundreds & thousands of sources to be inspired from. Find what makes you tick. Look around this site- there are tons! Let these materials be your own personal influence and bring those individual choices to the table. We all have our own unique & distinct likes & dislikes artistically and that's perfectly fine. There aren't any wrongs and rights as to what you'll draw influence from.

Good luck, Sam.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well one thing i'll say is get in as soon as you can. If you can do it right away after high school do. I never did my leaving certificate (I'm irish) and thought i'd just get in on a mature application. Portfolio alone. I still haven't even applied to an art college 3 years later cuz i gradually grow more afraid of rejection and i have to work my ass off now to pay for it and get my portfolio up to scratch. Anyways, point is just go for it!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.