Art: Line confidence? - Page 2
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Line confidence?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Egets
    she will be shaking the pen in the air imitating the movement of the line she is about to draw about 3-5 times before she actually dares to press the pen on paper and make a mark.
    I'll defend this method. Scott Robertson actually encourages "ghosting in the line" before laying it down, to increase it's accuracy. Various other artists ghost in their construstion lines to keep the finished drawing cleaner. Isn't this the same thing as a skilled pool player doing preliminary movements before striking the ball, sorta feeling out the trajectory, this is more a sign of skill than a lack of it.

Sketchbook

"Beliefs are rules for action"
    "Knowledge is proven in action."
    "It's use is it's meaning."
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Use a pen if you want to get really confident with laying lines.

I have the same problem of ending up with a cloud of lines that really don't convey anything. Working with a pen, you only get a few chances to get it right. I find myself thinking more about how I want to lay a piece out.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Actually, I prefer markers, they seem more encouraging of the few lines because of their thickness, but pens are just as good.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,475 Times in 469 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    oh hell yes. I have a sketch book specifically for pen sketching, no pencil is to touch it. I actually work very scribbly and loose in there, but it's all about learning to not fear the lines. What faster way to learn confidence than to get rid of your safety net?

"Every little step considered one at a time is not terribly daunting" - Ethan Coen

New books and process DVD available NOW!

www.dvpalumbo.com

Quickie blog (nudity)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    alright alright im just being a dick, i'll stop

HunterKiller_ is offline Registered User Level 15 Gladiator: Spartacus' Hoplomachi
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,004 Times in 654 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian223
    You need to train in that specific field, read this

http://digicoll.library.wisc.edu/cgi...540022&isize=M
    Thanks for the link, just what i needed. I'm doing those excersise from the start right now.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Crusoe the Painter
    use a BRUSH if you want to get confident with lines.

basically the "pettered lines" are signs of an amature. Check out Pixel's SB. look at the first pages and what's he doing now and you'll see a general comfort with mark making.

another great exersize is doing Blind countour. not only will you be making one line instead of thousands, but you'll also be developing your observation skills.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Surley if you can make a mark on the paper without breaking into a cold sweat then your confident.
    The only time I think I wouldnt be confident would be if I didnt know where a line was going, but in terms of accuracy I suppose the best thing to do is practice.

Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice,
    Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice,
    Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice...That seems to be the most generic answer these days.

Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form.

HunterKiller_ is offline Registered User Level 15 Gladiator: Spartacus' Hoplomachi
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,004 Times in 654 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Yes that is the generic answer people give these days.
    It's not very good.
    There are different practices for the many different aspects of drawing/art, just 'practice' isn't enough.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think that's an interesting topic in itself actually..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Newb here (may as well put that out there) and I'm just curious why no one has mentioned the term "gesture" yet? Technically White Rose did, but without using the actual term. I've been through a fair amount of art programs at different schools (though I'm still pretty young) and all of them (save for the graphic design oriented ones) stressed gesture long before they talked about line confidence.

That being said, have you gestured before? Because there is a bit of a stiffness that comes from not gesturing. And when I say gesture I mean a "searching line" or a "controled scribble" (two different deffinitions from two different teachers) because I know that what I thought was gesturing actually wasn't when I was formally taught how to. I know you said you make "construction lines" what are those exactly? Do you measure out angles of limbs, etc?

And now I shall be a jerk and post up an example of my own gesture (that is minimally shaded with ink wash):
    http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a2...e/ca8fe537.jpg

So, at any rate, while these are "sketchy" each mark is made with confidence because I know that each mark I'm making is serving a purpose, even if in the end result it really doesn't matter. Yeah it's loose and messy and I erase a little around the face otherwise it turns into one huge grey mass that I can't even understand, but I never second guess myself, no do I really care if a mark is wrong. I can always make another that is "more right".

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    http://user.aol.com/pnhassett/art/Mim.gif

I've been told I have line confidence.

I think line confidence is knowing where you want the line, and making as few lines as possible to describe what you want.

I draw with a ballpoint pen and whiteout squeeze tube. The above piece was the first drawing.

My New Neglected Sketchbook
    You Ain't no Nina!.....

"Too often we... enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." -- John Fitzgerald Kennedy
    "My mind is made up. Don't confuse it with facts." -- Terence McKenna

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ive been told i have sex-appeal!!

I bang with a vivid condom without sqeeze lubricant. The under piece was my first.

aviable for fulltime and freelance

http://alexpascenko.blogspot.de/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've also noticed that pretty much everything you do to make your art look better is cheating. And you just have to accept that fact

If you want your lines to look confident, you have to draw fast! That's the way the line weights vary naturally and the lines look swooshy and, well confident. Another important thing that makes lines look good is to draw with your whole arm, not just with your wrist. And you have to use the natural round of motion (do u say it that way in english?) of arm. That's the reason why you should rotate your sheet because you can't draw natural lines in every direction. And that's why it's annoying to make line art in photoshop; in painter I use to rotate the canvas with my pen's eraser head and it makes drawing more natural.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    lack of confidence= furry lines! which is what you have, but not terribly.

drawing solely in pen has helped me... I had a job drawing caricatures where i could only use a black marker, no pencil... no "fucking up"... and I learned SO much from it.

Anyway, my suggestion is to sketch w/o the safety net of the eraser, just pen and paper, from life. You'll make 1000 bad ones before one turns out the way you like, but you'll learn so much from the exercise. This affects every aspect of your work, too, because the confidence you gain will seep into your finished work and make it better and more interesting to look at.

Amsterdam..... and i'm never gonna leave, unless blizzard contracts me :D
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice topic, as i'm also strugling with this.

I can't get a straight line on paper in one stroke but if there are some lightly sketched lines where i want that straight line i CAN do the job, though i want to learn also to put that line there in the first place.

--------
    Quote Originally Posted by easy tiger!
    haha, pix, there is no such thing as cheating in art.

technically every time you're putting a pencil to paper you're cheating,
    Look what he is saying!!!! People who draw with pencils aint making art... J/K

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    http://user.aol.com/pnhassett/art/primative2.jpg

Here's another drawing I did, and for anybody that wants to accuse me of being arrogant......STFU! Jeez, I'm fed up with paranoid arrogant people.

My New Neglected Sketchbook
    You Ain't no Nina!.....

"Too often we... enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." -- John Fitzgerald Kennedy
    "My mind is made up. Don't confuse it with facts." -- Terence McKenna

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I know I'm bumping a super old thread, but it took me forever to find this, and it's almost saved mylife. As these fricking petted line critiques I always get almost caused me to blow out a piston. And there's some great posts in here in support of both sides, and they all helped me kind of put the critiques into perspective. If anyone else has more to add on this, I would love to see more.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Members who have read this thread: 2