Do You Think the Most Important Part of a Character Design is the Head?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Do You Think the Most Important Part of a Character Design is the Head?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Do You Think the Most Important Part of a Character Design is the Head?

I've noted these preliminary sketches of silhouettes of body designs and then the head seems to be neglected.

Sometimes the character design falls flat because the head was not concepted, because usually the character will be devoid of 'character'.

Do you find you'll concept the head just as much as you'll concept the body?

Doesn't your eye go to the head first anyway?

My New Neglected Sketchbook
    You Ain't no Nina!.....

"Too often we... enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." -- John Fitzgerald Kennedy
    "My mind is made up. Don't confuse it with facts." -- Terence McKenna
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It depends on the situation. But usually it's best to give equal amounts of attention to both. As for where my eye goes depends on the pose, lighting/coloring and shapes. If the character is posed in such a way that his torso is the main focal point, a proper lighting and coloration will only emphisize that and even more attract the eye.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm guilty of doing the opposite, only doing heads, heads and heads.. I believe that it's all in the head, or alteast - you can read a character to 100% in the head.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,219 Times in 624 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I would say.. (I read it in a book) that the most giving part of a charaacter
    is the HANDS, THE EXPRESSION OF THE FACE, and how the character CLOTHES!

if the charcter is painted naked, without hands or face... its just soo o damn
    boring to look at!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nope, i think the most important is the character design....
    If you want a specific personnality to a character, you'll need to work on everything.
    There are some a bit more important parts in the body, like dile mentionned, but its also an everything that makes a character, not just a face.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Its important, but you can't define it as the most important.

Just as your heart is vital to your survival, but they cannot function without the support of the lungs.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Recursive_End and Magic Man said it best, I think.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    To me, the most important things are the face, hands, and the posture. The face conveys character while the hands and posture convey the motion or lack thereof. Jon Foster's stuff is a great example, since he often makes pretty boring subject matter (guy falling down, for example) very expressive.

Es fließt durch meine Venen, Es schläft in meinen Tränen
    Es läuft mir aus den Ohren, Herz und Nieren sind Motoren

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It depends how abstract your designs are, silouhettes (sp?) are DAMN important too (think of the characters of Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends, they're mostly vector shapes but it ain't just theirfaces that tell me what a character is like!).

For more complex characters, I was told that the "nouns" are the most important part of a character design and I stand firmly behind that. What does he/she wear, what does it say about that character? What does he/she carry? Why? How would they use it?

Clear and sometimes cliche accessories are one of the easiest ways to convey the purpose and personality of a character.

'zat's my two cents.

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Like almost every other question you ask, the answer is "it depends." The most important part of a character design is the defining features, those things that make it distinct from everything else. Sometimes that will be the head, sometimes the body proportions, sometimes the stance, costume, accessories, etc. You have to know what story you're trying to tell, and then everything has to go towards telling it.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    When you look at a character design, you're automatically drawn to the head to see the face of the character (unless it's not the center of attention to your piece--robots with human pilots for example)... It's the difference to someone saying, "This character looks like s/he's thinking," to "This character has no soul at all."....

LONG LIVE YOKO KANNO!!!

Jason Manley is offline Administrator Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,555 Times in 2,164 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    its all important. all of it.

back to work for me.

j

LEVEL UP! - ConceptArt.Org online workshops 25% off registration right now!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think that when we talk about concepts, the most important part is the general appearence. I would go far and say that the head, or more exactly the expression, is not so important. If you work in a concept you don´t want to give a too expecific mood, in a concrete situation. By example, if I were a 3D modeller, I would ask to the conceptualizer to give me a detailed view of the clothes the character is wearing more that in a shocking expression, because that character is not supposed to be it that mood forever.

On the other hand, if I am reading a comic, faces and expressions are 95% of the experience. You could have extraordinary rendering abilities, strong ideas and great anatomy, but if you fail in make me think that I'm really seeing a indivual with his own personality, consistent from panel to panel and different from the others, It won´t work.

So for me it all depends of your target.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Aye, it depends. For me it's all about the character. Different body parts say different things, and each character should speak about themselves differently. Generally speaking, though, the head is a big draw point and defining feature and should recieve just as much attention as the rest if the character is meant to have any individuality or personality.

Of course, it's worth mentioning that if you don't even got the basics of design, I don't think ye need to be worrying about things like this just yet. If you're just throwing things on that look cool, then...

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.