C.O.W. - #051: Leaf Riders - Voting!

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

View Poll Results: Vote for your fav - regarding the topic!

Voters
85. You may not vote on this poll
  • FunkytownP

16 18.82%
  • JakkaS

10 11.76%
  • Main Loop

14 16.47%
  • Lady Medusa

10 11.76%
  • rawwad

28 32.94%
  • davi

5 5.88%
  • Trashy

1 1.18%
  • Asoir

1 1.18%
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Cow C.O.W. - #051: Leaf Riders - Voting!

ROUND #051 VOTING

Topic: Leaf Riders

Deadline for the voting: Monday, 10th July 2006

Posting thread (closed):
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=71067

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    artist: FunkytownP
    concept:

The color and shape of the frog-like creature helps disguise itself among the falling leaves. It hops from one to the next catching unaware insects one by one!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

artist: JakkaS
    concept:
    BZZZYK
    These huge non-flying butterflies live on the archipelago Kauui. Because they can't fly and inhabit small islands they had to learn how to survive. When the mating calls, they build small boats form the K'a's leafs and put fertilized eggs in. Boats with offspring in eggs float on the ocean reaching occasional island. In this way they can survive and be sure that their genes mix inside their species.

artist: Main Loop
    concept:

These rodents take in air as they jump from branch to branch, inflating themselves enough to float to their destination. The youngn's air pouches arent developed enough to be able to float like their mothers, so they are carried in a makeshift "basket" of leaves in which they ride. the mothers then use their hind feet to land.

artist: Lady Medusa
    concept:
    Leaf Hugger
    During mating season at fall (autumn), the male Leaf hugger will grab a leaf and let the wind bring them to the ground where the female has gotten before them. The female will pick the leaf hugger who seems more able to ride the leaf and dodge birds, and also do the most impressive acrobatics at the same time. Baby Leaf huggers camouflage better whit the ground so they make the nests under tree roots. When the winter comes they're fur gets white and they climb up the trees, making a new nest that they keep until the next Fall.
    The mother usually gets 4 babies a year, that stick to her until mating season.

artist: rawwad
    concept:
    clammy marmot
    clammy is the key word for this animal, which has amazing sticky slaver. Which use for very typical form of moving. His legs are short and weak, not good for long travels. When are these marmonts young, they mostly use for quick movement variant A - 1.when is weather windy, they find plant with big leafs. 2. Stick on the leaf with their slimy sticky slaver which have in mouth and around all head, neck, hair, ... 3. Just they fix with leaf and use leaf as wind awning. 4. Now they can fly, because their bodies are very light but strong too.
    When are marmonts old and big, there is not easy find so big leafs and strong wind for them, then they use other metod of fast moving, variant B - 1. big marmonts make small travel group and collect every tree leafs around them 2. with using of their sticky slaver they make big ball from these leafs and go in ball 3. They starting moving with their srong bodies into ball and with help of gravitation ball starts to move 4. Mostly they prefer hilly lands, which are perfectly for fast traveling, but also very dangerous. Usually moving ends when ball is break and marmonts are spring out ! Which is very funny, for the marmonts too, because they like adrenalin.

artist: davi
    concept:
    Baby SquidMonkeys, aka "the leaf riders"
    In the future, monkeys will be outclassed by the evolution of landbased squid. As seen in this documentary photo above as infants they are hardly squidlike in appearence, their tentacles aren't seperated which makes travel difficult, so they attached themselves to leafs and use their unformed tentacles as a rutter in and adorable attempt to guide them through the wind drafts. Their discint characteristics are their red brains that have protruded forum their body and the egg shell which they stick themselves to for protection.
    In the photograph you can see the adult mother of the baby squidmonkeys following her spawns, she will often loose some, but she only needs at least 2 to survive out of a breed of over 100.

artist: Trashy
    concept:
    Leaf Harrier
    Large bugs that attaché themselves to leaves to create small leaf air ships. They use their long wings and appenges to balance and fly the leaf. The bug uses it as a means of transporting its young place to place or to migrate its nest. It's eggs are usually the shape of little bomblets and more often then not, many of these eggs fall off these leaves into other tree's while being transported.

artist: Asoir
    concept:

Last edited by Fozzybar; July 3rd, 2006 at 02:28 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    OK - before voting/posting read this!!!

1. Please give c&c or a reason why you voted for the image!

2. Feel free to comment on any or all entries, the artists will appreciate it!

3. No voting for your own entry!!! If a participants votes for his own entry, every member has the right to call him a stupid lame morone in this thread! And i will delete his/her vote anyway...

not accepted entries:

All WIPs

Migsta

I thought like about 10 minutes if i should accept this entry or not. At the end the sum of all things leading to a rejection made the decision.
    Your skills are great! Your ideas are fine! I don't want to frustrate you, so please see this as a crit to improve yourself.
    There is the no character rule and i also mentioned in the posting thread that you should watch this.
    The creature has a Pirate hat and the ropes have knots just as humans do. I know what you wrote in your concept about watching humans and learning from them. But it doesnt convince me. I would have let it go maybe, but the fact that the creature has no special design didn't support the idea of accepting it either...
    So, i am doing this not to frustrate you or playing the big daddy, but it's required to keep COW on the right track.

close to rejection:

Asoir
    Hmmm...the creature is the main thing in COW, in your entry the creature is just a lil blue humanoid alien with 5 eyes. Concentrate on the creature and its design!!! Forget everything else until you nailed down the creature idea...next time it's rejected!

special note:

none

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lovely creature design rawwad!
    -x-cellent!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I liked JakkaS' creature because of the imaginative thinking. To quote the Lion King "Looking beyond what u see" I didn't consider that most leafs float as well!! Good job to all!!
    Oh and sorry Fozzy, i won't make that mistake again.

"The artist is nothing without the gift, but the gift is nothing without work."

From the Mind of The Penciler
    SSG #12
    25days-Penciler-OBX-Kresh
    -Boogieman-Oki

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    New round is on, get your asses up:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=71569

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Rawwad got my vote! Sweet concept!
    I try to put some comments later.

Cheers
    Kuba

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Smile

A leaf folded into an airplane was close? Oh well.

Last edited by Migsta; July 3rd, 2006 at 05:46 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Voted for Migsta, oh wait.... damn I can't.... shucks I really liked the cartoon feel to yours... I guess cartoon creatures arnt accepted only realistic renders i suppose...

Ok I am voting for rawwad cause this is just .. .well alot of things.. ITs very funny, I love the concept of rolling in a leaf ball. Also your Colors are very nice and its rendered very well. The creature himself is funny too, he has a great expression on his face.

Lady medusa; I really liked yours and was going to vote for it, the colors are great, but I thought the concept wasnt as strong. But all around great picture.

Jakkas; yours is very very nice, and I like the concept, but I liked your leaf surfer much better. You always have great concepts with your creatures. And thank you for replying to my question about how you painted that.

Main loop; flying squirrels I like it! It looks a little bit unfinnished tho, still great picture.

Funkytown; nice picture and good textures.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    FunkytownP- Hehe, funny creature . I like how it's likely to look like a leaf from above. Makes it one of those "Close to perfect camoflage" creatures . The concept is a little... "Lacking" in my opinion. It's like its missing something. And you could give the creature a name.

JakkaS- You went for the big mouthed one , Was my favorite of the two. Awesome rendering as usual.
    By the way, Do you mind if we grab your brushes? Sure you posted them on a public forum, but heh, you never know ^^ Nice to be sure you know.

Main Loop- Cute . Nice rendering. The little ones seem a little bit rushy in my poinion. You too could have given a name to the creature.

Lady Medusa- Should have followed JakkaS suggestion of breaking down the sky and making the leafs a little reder (or atleast some of them), but I managed to save the PSD in the totally wrong folder (my Reference movie folder of all l ) so I weren't able to fix it. Yes, I could have run a search... I'm just too stubborn to do that D:
    Also the "toes" could have been better rendered. I could have sharpened the ending stilk thing of the leaf.

rawwad- Like your Concept The Marmot looks so wimslical (spelling?) and bold too.

davi- Love your Color choise! The leafs could have been better rendered, but the squid Monkey makes up for that

Trashy- The rendering is a little flat, and the creature likks a little "stiff", in my opinion. I really like the green wings whit the red dots though

Asoir- In my opinion, they are a little too humanoid. Are there two different creatures or is one of them male and the other female.
    If you by "And they get rewarded for doing so" mean that the Leafflus Riduss Makes them for other creatures, I think you should have made it a little clearer. Stylish rendering though

And My Vote goes to~ JakkaS or rawwad. Will take some time deciding it

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I voted rawwad for his funny concept

good to see davi hanging around cow.

Good concept of main loop too but the leaf looked unfinished.

Lady Medusa
    That creature looks so cute.

"Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr-Joe
    I guess cartoon creatures arnt accepted only realistic renders i suppose...
    No, cartoon style is absolutely accepted, i am a cartoon guy for myself...the reason why is right beneath the entries in my second post...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yah I read that Im just being a jackass cause In my opinion it looks more like a creature than a humanoid to me, Ive never seen human with multiple scaley arms big bug eyes a leaf made pirate hat riding inside a nut floating down by a leaf shute. Altough I do sort of under stand what your implying by the character thing because of the knots in the rope, but I think thats almost too technical of a judgment.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr-Joe
    Yah I read that Im just being a jackass cause In my opinion it looks more like a creature than a humanoid to me, Ive never seen human with multiple scaley arms big bug eyes a leaf made pirate hat riding inside a nut floating down by a leaf shute. Altough I do sort of under stand what your implying by the character thing because of the knots in the rope, but I think thats almost too technical of a judgment.
    No, it's personal

Well, someone has to decide otherwise there won't be an activity...unfortunately i am the one and it was a very hard decision believe me, but it is said and done. Up for the next challenge!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I voted Rawwad for some seriously spit soaked fun. Lots of character.

Runners up were davi, main loop and funkytown.

Simon Lissaman

www.simon-lissaman.com

My portfolio review thread can be found here.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    mmmm i think asoir was much too close to rejection this time, just as migsta.And, actually I can't understand what the creature design is, the two little guys are very different and we can't see most of them.Anyway, whatever.
    Anyway I voted for Main Loop, very nice concept and technique, tho its not completely finished.Other entries were very good too, nice concept.Not many entries tho, strange.

ciao

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I voted for Main Loop. I don't see it as unfinished as some have said. I just see a lot of really great atmosphere that I think works perfectly for the subject. Its like a grey misty morning in March or April. Or maybe early fall. Getting a little chilly, leaves havent started to turn too much...very effective.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Haha, sorry about my entry it was fairly badly planned out, I rushed the creature after getting excited about the leaf idea
    Won't happen again!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Asoir
    Won't happen again!
    You betcha!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    rawwad- still loving that piece and creature, voted for you. What a neat design!

Lady Medusa- Yeah, I screwed up the shadowing on that. I was kind of happy with the background though but that creature does need more tweaking. I still like the b&w more. Thanks for the critique

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    No, it's personal

Well, someone has to decide otherwise there won't be an activity...unfortunately i am the one and it was a very hard decision believe me, but it is said and done.
    I'm just givin you crap man, your doin a good job.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    haha you guys are right, its unfinished, i got bored of it, and lazy.. this week im putting more effort in, trust me...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, some awesome pieces! But I love Lady M's, you go girl!

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

Korpus School of Art + Gallery
    1300 Factory Place, Unit 308
    Los Angeles, CA 90013
    www.korpus-la.com
    Blog
    Facebook Page

Twitter
    korpus.info@gmail.com
    Phone: 213-228-2014

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Voted for rawwad's. Such great feeling and empathy even with the clamyness! Your concept is great.

Davi and Funky both were excuted wonderfully, but rawwad's idea won me over.

Main, I hope you find the inspiration to finish it, I'd love to see it!

Opinions and critiques always welcomed!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Voted for Rawwad... I definitely want to take one home as a pet, but my life is already filled with slimy little furballs. I really enjoyed the illustrated description of how it tumbles with the leaves.

I also loved Davi's and Jakkas's. creatures and Funky's perpective.

"Baby, you make me wish I had three hands!"

Members who have read this thread: 1