Sketch of a woman - Nudity (updated July 3)

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Today I did a five minute sketch - and she's what I did. The actual lines took about five minutes, the shading took about thirty, maybe forty. Somewhere in there. It's the darkest contrast shading I've ever done... I liked the affect a lot. (My scanner is messed up as usual, and puts a line down the side - also messes up the contrast of the actual shading but the general idea is given.)

In any case after scanning, and looking her over I'm going to raise the right nipple a little (make it more perky). Move the line of the left breast over towards the hair line and I think that'll balance out the chest more. I'll likely do more shading with the hair too. I wasn't sure exactly how far I wanted to go with that yet. Either way I was really happy with the darker shading, and might start doing that as oposed to the light shading I was doing before. (Click here if below image doesn't load)

And this is a quick logo I did for my website's group (click here to view it if the below picture doesn't load)

Last edited by Serena-; July 3rd, 2006 at 11:00 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the belly looks very flat
    and the neck has not the right ancle (look at the bones underneath it they should be in the middle)

my sketchbook
    friends Sketchbooks:Dile_, Stine
    my flickr go there if you want to see my photography stuff

<mildly sarcastic remark that seems a little cutting at first read, but contains wisdom and is really rather funny>

Ilaekae: "I'm sick and tired of "purists" who dictate their own anal preoccupations to everybody else as the word of gods."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The exaggerated pose is very dynamic and provacative.

For their shape, the breasts look rather small when compared to the torso. The strand of hair in between the armpit and her right breast may be masking the problem a tad. It also seems like this is the extent of the paper you were working with. I say that because if you were to continue working on the head, I'm betting it would turn out a bit on the smallish size.

And while there are some points where your shading is going along nicely, there are also points where it just seems like there are random value shifts (mainly along the arm and above her right breast). This may be due to a bad scan (a lot of mine turn out like this, as I'm a notoriously light shader), but does bring up another point. You want to have your highest contrast where you want the people to be looking. Right now it seems to be split between the cheek, the crux of the back, and the little heart on her leg. It disperses the focal point, leading to a little less effective composition than there could be.

And I hate to say it, but the letters running down the left side are just killing the image.

Welcome aboard!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Agreed, I've been working on it a bit - I can't seem to get the arms right. I made the breasts look fuller. They are meant to be small, but I want them to look balanced (even if they are small). In any case I moved the nipple up on the one breast, and moved the other line over on the other breast yesterday. Still working on the contrast of the arm/cheeks though. (I also darkened the legs shading a little, I think I'm going to go over the lines of the fishnets again too.) As for the neck? Agreed, I think if I change the angle a little and change the highlight that might come out looking right. I need a little more shading on the collar bones too.. I think, then it might be the neck throwing those off...
    But here's what I have so far (click here if below image doesn't load.)
    Thanks for the suggestions, I'll keep working on it

As for the logo - the text definitely ruins it. But I suck with photoshop and even the simpler roxio photosuite. (I stick to the basics lol) Do you have any suggestions on a better way to integrate the lettering into the picture? Thanks for all comments on this.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That right breast i can't really see it, and the nipple i think its to small,also the neck area mainly the callor bones seem to be out of place....Thats wat i think i might be wrong .........Nice work keep on keeping one,looking foward to seeing more.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm going to post some more studies of this nature, sadly this one just had coffee spilled all over it. But I was going to either place the collar bones lower, or shade them more when I had the chance. Now that it's battle scarred haha... It'll be going into the sketch folder hehe. But I'll be posting more studies of this nature soon enough ;D

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.