Art: Ink's oil painting of the day!

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Ink's oil painting of the day!

I will be dedicating this thread to my daily paintings. The thing is I'm putting my portfolio together, and I need more paintings, so I will be doing one painting a day until I have a few to choose from.

I did this painting yesterday, with ref, and about it took me about 6 hrs. In the ref, the head was cut off at the nose, and the legs stopped where I stopped painting them. What I'm really looking for is some feedback, whether it be about something you like, or don't, or just plain hate. I pretty much invented the face out of my hea, and think that it needs improvement. So if you guys can give me some feedback on that I'd appreciate it. What I'd really like is a paintover of the head, If possible of course.

i don't like all that dead space i have there. Should I cut it off, or just leave it?

closeup of the head

body closeup

There's a couple of mistakes I see. Because I started the underpainting in a dark bluish green color, eventually it came through, so overall the painting is sort of dark and I'm not too sure if it works or not?:confused:

There's too much dead space which I'm thinking of cutting off, but I don't know it that's a good thing or not. I painted it on canvas board btw.

Well, Im iffy about the head, cuz I had no ref to follow.

Please give me some crits or comments so I can learn from it with your help. Especially if someone does a paintover.

--Check back tomorrow for the next piece!--

Last edited by I.was.ink; May 22nd, 2003 at 02:28 PM.
    -http://iwasink.com/-
    DS Illustration
    "Get reference.
    There is nothing wrong with using a photo to help you see things.
    No one complains about life drawing,
    so take a photo.
    its easy, and will improve your piece greatly."
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    I.was.ink, I hope that I can help you a bit.

I miss you in the Middle Class.

What I really like in your painting is the consistent use of cool blue tones. I'd never dare to choose this for a naked person, but since she's so thin it suits the subject nicely.

The dead space is too large IMO, but if you cut it off, the painting will be off balance. I'm quite sure that it can be seen that it has been cut. I'm not sure what to do, either. Fill it up? With what? :confused:

The face is flat, distorted and sort of squashed, esp in the close-up. I'd like to see how much was due to the ref you used, because I know that you can do much better!

On the full size I see no mistake in the belly-area, except perhaps that the dark shadow below her belly is so dark that it can be mistaken for her pubic hair. And that would definitely be too high Maybe that whole area is a bit off, that shadow line where her left leg joins the hip is too low, or the foreshortening of the left wrong and the knee too high (it is the knee, isn't it? Otherwise that light is absolutely distracting. If you don't understand my stammerings, let me know and I'll post an overpaint).

I like the way you rendered the breasts and can't find any flaws there. Good light use!

The space below her extended right arm looks as painted in as an after thought. Somehow it looks amateurish.

Her left arm doesn't look like being hidden behind her, but like being cut off, perhaps because the angle is too sharp.

I hope this helps and wasn't too harsh.

Keep on, I'm crossing my fingers for a perfect portfolio!

:blue:

Jester

Imagination is intelligence having fun!

Jester's Sketchbook

Portfolio web site

Thanks Jester, that helps a lot. You mentioned a lot of things that I didn't see before. The head doesn't look so great cuz I did it till the end, and so it was kind of an after thought of sorts. That amateurish color below her arm looks like that, because i overworked it so much. Thanks especially for that comment, amateurish.... I like that word.

Thankfully, I picked up a really great oil painting book today and understand painting a tad better, so I'm working on something new today and hopefully you guys like it. If I never try how can I get better, right?

Anyways, thanks Jester for your comments, I'll fix what is wrong with the face once I understand how to paint what I already see in my head. So that there's no guessing going on, but confident strokes of paint.

I thank you once again, and hopefully others will crit me as you have Jester.

P.S I especially want to thank Android for inspiring me to paint everyday. Thanks man. :cool:

DS Illustration
    "Get reference.
    so take a photo.

Watch your proportions, buddy. The head is way too big.

Yup! you're right. It is big. Thanks for pointing that out.

Here's a quick study of a hyena, I'm looking for color and shape relationship, not interested in details, but overall feel of the hyena. It's what's emphasized in this great oil painting book I picked up today by KEVIN D. MACPHERSON, "Fill Your Oil Painting With Light & Color."

It was only 20 bucks, and it was soooooo worth it.

O

DS Illustration
    "Get reference.
    so take a photo.

^
    1:she(the hyena) is missing back legs.you may have noticed that or it was full purpose coz the hyena is standing in some kinda fog(which i don't really think)
    2:where is the body?there is a head with a neck and two legs.
    3:the legs are obviously too thin.
    no other crits from my side
    good colour sheme
    ever paint on

and the woman's head is too big,just to remind you once again

Sketchbook

Sketchbooks of inspiration:
    Marc Taro|Maxetormer|ZhuZhu|Jeri|Dobu]

Always think about:
    lighting! design! perspective! proportion!
    And (self)motivation is still everything.

Yeah, i noticed that on the hyena's legs too, but its turning around, and there was all thir rubble and unclear trash below her that I couldn't see her hind legs.

Yes, I know its too big, the head of the girl that is.

Sorry for not painting another one for yesterday, but It wasn't a good ref to begin with, so it wasn't coming out too great, and so, I rubbed it out.

DS Illustration
    "Get reference.
    so take a photo.

today's feeble attempt. My heart wasn't in it much, so I stopped sooner than I wanted and didn't start all that early, plus I wasn't feeling good. It's still no excuse, but here it is.

Not pleased with it at all, but whatever.

This is my instructor and he rocks, and he graduated from art center. He's damn good, and he's having a workshop, but i can't attend cuz of money issues. Anyways, hes really good, and I often look at his stuff and KChen's( don't forget to check out some of his paintings on his site, they rock. to see how they do it.

Here's a small sample of his quick studies, i know they're not masterpieces, but they describe the figure perfectly, something I'm kinda having problems with. C & C appreciated

To this point, I think I'm choosing the wrong, refs too. Cuz I'm still learning the ropes on color, and I throw this bluish lighted lady, and I get even more confused. Stupid me !!! :mad:

I think I have a pretty cool ref to follow for the next one, but if any of you can suggest anything or direct me somewhere, I'd really appreciate it. I already chose some pics from the ref thread, but I'd like to see what you guys have up your sleeve.

I'm going to attempt something digital for now, hopefully I'm successful. If not there should be something up tomorrow.

PEACe!

DS Illustration
    "Get reference.
    so take a photo.

Here;s today's attempt, after getting another book, and reading and trying to understand, I....well I suppose I understand more. It's still a bit frustrating, but it is getting somewhat easier. Anyways, I had to paint from real life and not refs, so here's a still life i painted. Please give me crits and suggestions on this one.

And here's a pic I took with my digital camera so that you guys can see what I was looking at when I did it.

C & C appreciated!

DS Illustration
    "Get reference.
    so take a photo.

hey ink

good for you for using oils--im seeing alot of improvement from the first oil you ever posted

all i can say--(and im not a professional,)-- is that you might want to try to remember to keep your strokes describing the forms--like you did in the bottom right apple

where as the middle one flattens--also i think you could slow down a hair and REALLY observe more. like the pattern of teh matt underneath the fruit and the cloth in the BG could all be painted with more care and more observation--

also look at teh blue reflected light on the left of the right most apple? see? you gotta slow down and really observe.
    you can see it very subtley in the other fruits as well

keep it up dude--your doin good !!!

MY SITE
    available for freelance

The still life looks good, though I would have put some emphasis on the cold colors of the background (just for contrast's sake). The apples are done nicely, but the onion could be better than it is if you hadn't painted horizontal strokes but vertical ones to follow the object's structure. Hrmpf, hope you can make anything of my stammerings.

Jester

Jester's Sketchbook

Portfolio web site

Thanks for the comments tyboogie, and jester. They help out a lot. Here's today's its a portait from a girl I found in a book of mine. I think I'm starting to get the hang of it. I'm starting to think simplification, shape, and overall theme and concept then small details.

Well here u go!

closeup

C & C appreciated!

DS Illustration
    "Get reference.
    so take a photo.

Looks really good, though there are some minor flaws which I find a bit distracting.

There's a dark shadow area reaching from her ear along the lower part of her cheekbone. I think that the contrast is too high, makes it look like a dent in her cheek (no upper teeth row maybe? ). The same color appears below her nose. Since it is so narrow and pronounced it rather looks like Hitler's mustache than a shadow. (You asked for crits!).

Looks like you mucked up the elbow and then overpainted it. Not very successfully...At the end of the overpaint, there's this shadow tone again on the middle of her lower arm. If this is meant to be the shadow from her head the light source isn't consistent. This way it looks like a dent, too.

The lower line of her arm isn't defined enough and makes it look like she has massive big arms.

Finally I can't make out what is meant by the scratching line on her upper arm. Just a fancy?

I wish I could handle oils like you can, however, this is what struck me on second and third look. On first look it's really fine.

Hope this helps you along to a successful portfolio. When is it due?

Jester

Jester's Sketchbook

Portfolio web site

What brushes are you using for these iwasink?

At first, I use a big #12 filbert brush to lay in the objects and shadows, but mainly I change between some sapphire robert simmons filberts and some cheepy $2.00 flats I found some guy selling at the swapmeet. I really like using the combination of flat and filberts.

One other thing, I use is grumbacher, winton, and daler rowney paint. The daler rowney stuff rocks, cuz it litteraly feels like you're painting with butter, or mayonnaise. Another small hint, is to not use so much turpenoid, and it also burns your bristles. So try not to use it until you're going to wash your brushes. I was told by daarken, and read the rest from a book.

DS Illustration
    "Get reference.
    so take a photo.

are they all bristle?...cause it might help with your oil paintings to use some sable brushes so you can sort of drag the paint on without digging into the underlying paint. Helps with working in layers...I am inexperienced though hehe

Only the big one is bristle. The rest are sable.

DS Illustration
    "Get reference.
    so take a photo.

Ok cool that was causing me difficulty and my teacher suggested that...so that is the extent of my painting knowledge...give me 6 month at pantura studios...hopefully I will know more hehe. The last oil painting you did has a lot of character man...it's a big step up for your work I think. Blend it a little more and there would be a nice fleshtone there I think. Great work man keep it up...keep your momentum.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.