Selling Yourself
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Selling Yourself

I once thought about advertising my talent of drawing to get me some $$ but I didn't know where to start or where to begin...not to mention any legalities and how to really organize that. I'd like to do it at some point but wouldn't I need a portfolio? Can anyone explain this? I think the term for this is "Freelance Artist"?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Interceptor is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I suggest you check the Montreal workshop notes thread. There was a FANTASTIC lecture by DSIllustration and Shawn Barber about this.

* Help a CA artist! Visit the Constructive Critique section! *

Thanks
    Thanked 1,308 Times in 307 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    No offense, but you have long way to go in your education before even thinking about that. I've seen your sketch book and my advice would be would be to lay off comic book characters for a while and focus on building foundational skill sets such as rendering from life. Learn the fundamental mechanics of the figure and how light and shadow really interact. Again, no offense but right now, your characters and drawing really reflect a certain immaturity and like any of us in our various stages, there's a lot of room for technical development in the previously mentioned areas.

First off however, stop posting every little thing in the lounge. If you can't motivate yourself, yet have time to waste here, I think you've discovered your problem.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i looked through your sketchbook to and i have to agree with Exo. You are still far too unexperienced to survive as an freelance artist.Attend to an artshool or take some life-drawing classes would be the best start...if you can`t afford it you have to work very hard on your skills yourself (which can be very difficult) for the next 2-3 years. Then we can talk again about becoming a "freelance artist".

Edit = Sorry if that sounds harsh but this is the place for beating the illusions out of future artists so they can survive out there .

Quote Originally Posted by Ilaekae
    "Art is the physical result of your soul battling with your intellect to the death...with a sharp pencil..."
    THE AUSTRIAN SKETCHLORDS
    Baron Carnifex
    Duke Corky

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's very important that you work to improve your abilities to meet your own expectations, but having said that, there are more than enough examples of successful individuals who are not the world's most exquisite draughtsmen.

It's a good idea that you're thinking ahead now. Put that into perspective, concentrate on being a skilled artist, and in the meantime get some good books on marketing your work and business principles and determine what's the best method for you to go in.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, I somehow felt that. I can pull off little stuff like, "Oh, hey can you draw me a picture?" but I see what you mean. Freelance artistry interests me though, I wonder how some become succesful while others fail. I don't mind the harshness so much. I can see where you're coming from, besides, the art world seems to be a very harsh and often stuck up place. Something like this is indeed harsh but constructive. I had a question and got my answers. Thank you, gentlemen, for your advice.

By the way, I really don't appriciate the comments about me "posting every little thing" in the boards, especially here in this thread. This was legitiment.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    well...the better you are , the easier it is to get a job. Also its always good to have some connections to people with influence. Making yourself a name is important ! Also you have to accept that the customer is king and you are his servant.
    And at last i might add that many companies nowadays will more likely give a job to someone who has a wider range of skills...like to someone who can draw a concept , create the 3d-model and also creating the texture and/or animating it. Its simply cheaper for a company.

The most important thing is to keep it up though

Quote Originally Posted by Ilaekae
    "Art is the physical result of your soul battling with your intellect to the death...with a sharp pencil..."
    THE AUSTRIAN SKETCHLORDS
    Baron Carnifex
    Duke Corky

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you could just draw random people while sitting at a cafe, and if it starts looking good you hand it over to them. you might get lucky, who knows?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I guess it all takes skill. It seems like being an artist and making a profit off of it is a hard job, trying to make concepts and having a wide range of mediums in computer and traditional art forms. From what I've gathered computer graphics are really the wave of the future. Alot of graphic artists, illustrators and so on use photoshop and other programs like it. I've been fiddling with photoshop for a while and still don't understand alot. When I start my Junior year in High School this fall I will be taking a computer course that involves being taught how to use photoshop and how to design webpages and so on. Also I'm going to try and get into the Advanced Art Course which deals mostly with traditional mediums. I've been wanting to learn how to use paints effectivley and how to better my skills in pencil and pen. The class also helps its students to make portfolios which would be a great asset. There is alot to learn about art and the art world.

Would there happen to be any freelance artists in the forum from whom I could further inquire about that profession?

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.