Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Magic the Gathering is SO yesterday.

My game is WAY better than MTG folks

Here are a few cards I did just for fun:

WHAT A RIPOFF!

I'm still working on these cards. *I updated Raging Demon and Kamikaze Goblin*

Last edited by Pesmerga; July 3rd, 2006 at 06:10 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I use to play Magic. You should make up a whole set of them and try them out. These are pretty cool.

!darkchild!

Feel free to checkout my work:
    darkchild's sketchbook

Don't forget to visit the Critique Section!!

* Help a CA artist! Visit the Constructive Critique section! *

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I used to play magic too. My favorite deck was my black and blue one. Mwahaha, I used to own with that deck.

Here's a new one I just did:

I also updated Raging Demon and Kamikaze Goblin. Let me know what you think.

Last edited by Pesmerga; July 4th, 2006 at 12:41 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's good to see you working on a project like this, and actually finishing cards. Keep it up, and just work on your fundamental drawing and painting skills. Improvement on those will help greatly. Also, try to make the card design and layout more interesting. Why stay with the standard conventions of rectangular picture on top, and rectangular info box on the bottom. Experiment.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    technically.. they are not really good. i mean really o__O look rather shabby. both anatomically and technically. use some refernece, and try shading them better, each card looks so fast made, and like "ok im fine with this, i just leave it. what the hell would it matter if the grass looks just like some strokes, no one will notice it anyways" try put a little more effort in your work man 0___O else u ruin a good idea

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    darkchild: Yeah man, I still got 357 cars to paint lol.

jfwalls: Thanks. But I'm not sure how to make the cards look more interesting lol.

Doomgriever: Sure, they look fastmade. I'm speed painting 2 by 3 inches thumbnails lol. I clearly said I wasn't finished. I'm still working on these and correcting some mistakes. I understand your point though. But you can't expect a noob that doesn't even have a tablet to pull professional stuff every single day. I know I still have a lot to learn. But I think this is a great way to practice and experiment stuff. As for the reference, you're right. I should use more. That's something I don't do really often. But now I realize how important it is to have some references. (I suck at painting landscapes!)

Here's 2 more I just started:

Still at the speed painting stage.

Thank you all for the critiques.

Last edited by Pesmerga; July 5th, 2006 at 09:06 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i would recommend going to cgtalk and looking at stahlberg's paintover thread...he will do paintovers for you.

i hope you didn't take doomgriever's crits as an attack, cuz i'm going to say some pretty similar things ^^ first...i wouldn't do digital work without a tablet personally...it's usually a bad idea just because of time and effort involved. You can get a pretty cheap yet decent tablet for 100 dollars or under (not wacom...but it serves the purpose).

(left to right, up to down)
    1)odin - the bg really ruins this one. I think you would do better with a solid color or at least something a little darker than the char. where is the neck to the char? the chest is probably a little too high and it looks like the bottom half is facing left but the top half is not quite facing the same direction.

2)not sure if you are going for something cute but the creature definitely looks cutesy. from the eyes up to the top of the head needs to be extended.

3) pretty good, don't outline the wings and you should probably work on the hair a little. again the bg....try to not do the spotty line look...not sure if you are going for texture or something for the bg...but there are plenty of other was you can go about doing that.

4) one of the strongest pieces. don't really like the horizon line in the bg...but i'm not sure what i'd do. maybe put some more work into the front hand.

5)looks kinda like a pokemon card. the style doesn't really match the rest of the cards IMO...pretty nice though. maybe put a shadow under the creature onto the ground.

6) if it's night...the bg should be night looking. make it darker to pop out the creature. and put some more darks into the creature too, you put rimlights but not really any shadows.

7) i would make the red redder...just a matter of opinion but it's darker on the japanese flag ^^

8 ) lady courage - she doesn't really scream courage to me at all. i would make the wings transparent and her little antennas should go up or else she looks kinda sad. push in her cheek (on the right) a little to the left...it's too far out. and work on the hair.

9)blood dance - choose some diff colors. hopefully you used layers so just some color adjustment will be fine. basically right now all the colors blend together. also blood doesn't look like that...

10) a bit assymetrical...looks like he's tilting over weirdly. and again...the neck...doesn't have to be much but the head just looks plopped on. he would look better with some more dramatic colors too.

overall....good job on doing so many cards...work on your colors...and the skintones can be worked on too. look at the mid-to bottom of this page:

http://itchstudios.com/psg/art_tut.htm

you have what he calls, a boring skintone.

the paintover thread is here:
    http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=359226

HP Farvus Onir YihyoungLi d-CepT
    --------------------------------
    www.emilysu.net
    Facebook me! Emily Su at UTexas at Dallas!!!
    emilysuart.blogspot.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yeah sry if u took it as an attack wasnt like that at all. AND i have to change my opinion, THIS IS WITH MOUSE? o_O oh my sry i really thought u had a tablet ;D heheh

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by hpslashluvr
    thank you so much, thats an amazing link! i carnt believe ive missed this before?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    They may be quick and small, but that doesn't mean basic art rules shouldn't apply.

One thing that will help these pictures a lot is improving your shading-- right now you've just got darker tones of the main color. If you put in a definite light source and shade with the complimentary color of the light (ie, using blues/purples/greens) you'll give the pictures a lot more depth.

It also helps to do the pictures at a larger scale, even if it's just 6x6, and then shrink them down to put in the card format. Large strokes look a lot cleaner and smoother once they're shrunk.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hpslashluvr: Woah! thanks a bunch for the crit&links! I'll check that out for sure! I really appreciate your take on all of my paintings lol. Thanks.

Doomgriever: It's cool. I didn't take it as an attack. It was sincere and direct. Just the way I like it

FlameRaven: Yeah. Thanks for the tip

Ok, here are 2 more I did today:

I also updated some of my other cards.

Tell me what you think

Last edited by Pesmerga; July 5th, 2006 at 09:02 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    its getting better =)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you might want to consider doing lineart and just coloring it like in the angel of justice. did you do that? it looks kinda like you cut it out and colored in a bg ^^

here are some ideas that i did really quick for 3 cards. I know i really SUCK at painting, so take it all with a grain of salt >.<

It's better to just block in the hair. block in the wings too!

here are two "tuts" to do hair...the one for black hair is done with a mouse so it should be very easy to do.

first, use a soft brush and build up a lot of colors...then use a fine brush that is set prolly about 80 percent and draw in hair, then use a smudge tool and loosen it up some...then keep working on it till it's done! of course you would use darker colors...if you do choose to use dark black hair (a good example is indian hair)...it actually sort of looks blue in the light. there is a better explanation under my deviantart page...hpslashlover.deviantart.com.

i figured you wanted a more unified color scheme. but i still think you should take out the little antennas and change her to maybe like a red color. the eyes are too high on the face...changed her hair to match the outfit. make her shoulders less broad...for the swimsuit thingy I thought it'd be nicer to have a leather looking suit so it should basically be all one color except for highlights on the parts that stick out more (boobs, stomach). make the wings transparent...that's easy - just use a very large soft brush and brush in the bg color that would be behind so and so part of the wing. i thought she'd look better with at least a flipped out cut...a cut that goes in makes the girl look like she's less outgoing (courageous)

i think maybe the arm on the left needs to be flipped cuz the thumb is in the wrong place? lol i dunno. i would lower the arm a little and give him more of a neck and chin to look stronger. and an ear! fix the legs so they flow into the upper body more and i would also work on the hair for the head and tail. I would also make the body thicker to look stronger...but what do i know.

again...i'm still a noob too so these are all just suggestions.

Last edited by hp; July 3rd, 2006 at 08:37 PM.

www.emilysu.net
    emilysuart.blogspot.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You again?? Aren't you tired of criticising me? Yeah, the main difference with Angel of Justice is that the lineart is 'over' the painting. As opposed to 'under' for the rest. The last ones are old drawings I did a few months ago. One of the main problems with my cards is that I paint over some resized thumbnails. And god knows how terribly inacurate a thumbnail can be. That's the thing with Odin and the rest, I don't correct my mistakes! (anatomy/proportions) I just go directly to color. That's a very stupid and unforgiving mistake. As a result, Odin as a big torso but no neck, some girls have disproportionate humongous boobies (wait, what's wrong with that?). I really should be more carefull next time.

Thanks again for the tip. You seem to have a good technique to paint hair Your faces are realistic too. Mines are so cartoony and dumb looking It's been a while I didn't go to Deviant Art. I'll add you to my buds list

Here's 3 more cards:

I also tried a different technique with Angel Of Justice. It took a lot more time. Not sure why though...

Last edited by Pesmerga; July 5th, 2006 at 09:16 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice. I'm really bothered by the card design, not the illustrations. Maybe you can try & imitate some designs of the Magic cards? try using decorations & stuff for the borders and illustration frames. & about drawing with mouse, maybe you will feel more comfortable if you draw by hand and paint it over in photoshop? (after scanning of course).

"Nihil est in intellectu quod non prius in sensu" | SB | Portfolio | FJGC (blog) | DA (Profile) | EJERCICIOS DE COLOR

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Pesmerga
    You again?? Aren't you tired of criticising me?
    hahahaa way to take criticism

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    haha i'm sorry!!!! i see a lot of potential i guess in your stuff =P

well the main thing that bothered me about odin was just his hand was wrong. and i think putting lineart over your paintings will look better. anyways uhhh for the last post i assume the girl has some kind of light/fire/lightning in her hands...if you use painter, i know there's a glow and neon function as well as fire...those are really easy cheats. the point is, it should be brighter. and casting light on her.

www.emilysu.net
    emilysuart.blogspot.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    lol, thanks. I didn't add the reflective lights yet. I understand what you're saying about the arm but I got some issues with the torso. I tried to give him a chin/neck and longer his arms but it looks kinda weird.

I think I'm exagerating the torsion but it gives him a lot more movement. The right one is a lot more dynamic. Seems like he's about to throw his lance or something. I really like the modifications you made though. I probably should increase contrast and add a better background.

What's wrong with the card design? I think they look pretty cool lol. I'm not sure what to add/change.

*trying a bg for odin

Last edited by Pesmerga; July 5th, 2006 at 11:08 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i agree with you actually. but then if the torso is turned, you still need to make that line kind of straight at least until the bottom of the ribs. you also should add a crease in the skin above the hip/part of the stomach...if you know what i mean. basically where he is turning.

again, don't forget to flip the arm so that the hand is facing the right way.

i liked the original bg to his card, it was more simple...but i don't like the chalkiness of it. i think you should keep the lines though...it gives kinda some dynamism to it.

www.emilysu.net
    emilysuart.blogspot.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Gotcha. I dunno about the background though. The old one looked kinda empty to me.

I tried to add more light to Succubus:

Members who have read this thread: 1