Art: Dream Creatures...

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Red face Dream Creatures...

Hello!

This is my first post here but I've been stalking for a while. I'm slowly developing my style and I decided to finally just post something here . Um, I'd like to say I'm a fantasy artist. I like to mix things up do trippy colors and blur the lines between the male and female form :p. I'm big on androgeny. I want to do a small collection of fantasy creature art as a book and these are just a few pieces I've done.

Dream Creatures...

Dream Creatures...

Go easy on me.

Last edited by Nashya; October 8th, 2009 at 03:25 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, the coloring on the characters is gorgeous! Only thing I'd suggest is to push the environments more. Those huge strokes make it hard to tell what's going on in either picture's background.

More please!

Procrastinator At Work - Eventually!

* Help a CA artist! Visit the Constructive Critique section! *

"The problem is, the world these kids create for themselves is at first a very crude one. If you leave a bunch of eleven-year-olds to their own devices, what you get is Lord of the Flies."
    -Paul Graham

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice, I really like the 2nd one. The background in the first one looks kinda unfinished... I think it bothers me more because of the composition though, as the characters are less prominent. The second picture is much tighter, more focused.

Also known as Iikka Keränen

Digital Eel

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I agree with everything said so far, great colors on the creatures but their surroundings need work. I love that painting style on the creatures, I work in a similar fashion sometimes.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like both of them.

However, I'm going to have to deviate from what others have said so far: I like the seemingly unformed backgrounds, they seem to compliment the illustrations, in my humble opinion.

Though I will agree that the second seems more focused.

"No, no that wasn't anything" - David Letterman

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I believe that the 2nd piece is stronger. I like the texture and color work. I like that although I would believe these pieces to be strongly anime influenced, they at least deviate from the norm a bit.

I have the same problems with the first one that the others do. Background seems unfinished, but also I would like to see more of a blending between the humanistic qualities of the characters and the animal qualities. Right now the girls seems to be a torso stuck on a jellyfish instead of a girl/jellyfish creature, and the same goes for the manshark.

I really like the 2nd piece, but if you are intending to use these in a character book, you might want to show a bit more of the creature and what makes it unique.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Read above. If you're big on androgeny, then maybe you shouldn't declare the male/female parts so adamently...?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Second one's claws, position, and layout reminds me too much of this.

Pretty lights and colors in the first, though.

Trés Cuté Sketch Group
    magicgoo bluemech cwn annwn light dished

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh wow! I kinda wasn't really expecting ANY replies to my work. The atmosphere over here is really different from CG Society or Devianart. I started out on dA but really wanted to try to break away from the common "Nice art." and "OMG cute!" replies I normally get. Those are fine and good but I KNOW my work needs work and I really want to get better at doing backgrounds and polish my style. Although I have to admit it took me a lot of courage to post here. I was kinda scared and intimidated and judging by the way I often get treated at CG Society I was hoping I'd get greeted openly here. I feel a bit safer now but still slightly put out by the insane talent here. I'm not painting super heros and doing industry standard concept art and designs. I'm young and still have a long way to go and I really appreciate ALL the feedback. I'll make sure and poste some more too.

Quote Originally Posted by TechLoveAffair
    Wow, the coloring on the characters is gorgeous! Only thing I'd suggest is to push the environments more. Those huge strokes make it hard to tell what's going on in either picture's background.

More please!
    Thank you very much .

Backgrounds are most definately my biggest weak point. I'm slowly getting the hang of Photoshop CS2 and it's really nice custom brushes and I've tried experimenting more with doing textures and stuff. These two pieces were actually the firsts I've gone the extra mile to actually DO a background on. Any suggestions for painting rocks or corel? Outside of using reference do you know of any... brush stroke methods? LOL. Thanks for your time and I'll most definately post more .

Quote Originally Posted by nonie
    I agree with everything said so far, great colors on the creatures but their surroundings need work. I love that painting style on the creatures, I work in a similar fashion sometimes.
    Thank you! These works are a bit older, about 2-3 months I think. I'd like to say I've learned a bit more about backgrounds since then. LOL. We'll see! I'm certainly trying to put that extra effort toward making them better . Thank you again.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Sinsapaugh
    I like both of them.

However, I'm going to have to deviate from what others have said so far: I like the seemingly unformed backgrounds, they seem to compliment the illustrations, in my humble opinion.

Though I will agree that the second seems more focused.
    LOL! Wow. One of my biggest worries about doing really super detailed/realistic backgrounds is that they might clash with the way I do my characters. It's really hard to find that balance. And not to mention my characters are usely outlined, from the inks, but the backgrounds are just painted. Maybe I should try lineless colors for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Bai Fan
    I believe that the 2nd piece is stronger. I like the texture and color work. I like that although I would believe these pieces to be strongly anime influenced, they at least deviate from the norm a bit.

I have the same problems with the first one that the others do. Background seems unfinished, but also I would like to see more of a blending between the humanistic qualities of the characters and the animal qualities. Right now the girls seems to be a torso stuck on a jellyfish instead of a girl/jellyfish creature, and the same goes for the manshark.

I really like the 2nd piece, but if you are intending to use these in a character book, you might want to show a bit more of the creature and what makes it unique.
    Thanks.

Aren't both of these... 2D though. LOL. Working on backgrounds. Any suggestions for painting methods? I use Painter 6 a lot and sometimes the colors can get REALLY muddy... like almost too blended. And when you say more 'blending' between the human and animal parts what do you mean exactly? Could you elaborate a bit please? Thanks . These two pieces are also very very rough. I could go as far as to say they could be concept art for the more detailed stuff I'd like to do about the creatures. The second one was... seriously a late night tired session of me playing with color and odds and ends but I ended up liking it as a character . Thank you again for your feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by Saikin
    Read above. If you're big on androgeny, then maybe you shouldn't declare the male/female parts so adamently...?
    Any real comments on my work outside of the character genders? I said I like androgeny, I never said it's all I'll draw. The second I wasn't thinking about what sex the creature would be. I just drew. I left it's gender up to the viewer .

Quote Originally Posted by magicgoo
    Second one's claws, position, and layout reminds me too much of this.

Pretty lights and colors in the first, though.
    Thank you on the first pic.

That's a pretty nice piece! Who's the artist? I kinda recognize the style... but it looks really traditional. I don't follow too many traditional Masters. Whoever painted this did a better job than me. LOL. But I gotta say mine uses it better since it's not just normal person ;p.

Last edited by Nashya; June 29th, 2006 at 03:30 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    oh wow
    i visit your thread alot in da ^_^ *gives you a white rose*
    welcome to Concept Art
    :3 do you plan to create a sketchbook thread here as well ^_^
    i hope you do...
    you'll defintly wont get asspats here..well sometimes.. ^_^ but..this place will.. push you your art to its..limits...
    -----
    sooo..sit back and relax..take the huge dose of artistic medicine..cause its sure gonna do you good :3
    ^^;; uh..keep on editing the post here

just wondering..what was so different about cgsociety comapred(sp?) to here....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    really nice colors man!!
    The secon one is my favoirite..I love the whole mood and contrast level that you have used in that.. Saturated colors are something that I have always had a hard time trying to get a good grasp on.... but you have executed them really nicely..can we seee some more of your sedigns..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by White Rose
    oh wow
    i visit your thread alot in da ^_^ *gives you a white rose*
    welcome to Concept Art
    :3 do you plan to create a sketchbook thread here as well ^_^
    i hope you do...
    you'll defintly wont get asspats here..well sometimes.. ^_^ but..this place will.. push you your art to its..limits...
    -----
    sooo..sit back and relax..take the huge dose of artistic medicine..cause its sure gonna do you good :3
    ^^;; uh..keep on editing the post here

just wondering..what was so different about cgsociety comapred(sp?) to here....
    Hey !

I don't know if I'll do a sketchbook thread. My style isn't tight enough but sketching is what does that. So yea XD lol, maybe I'll try that someday when I'm a bit more advanced. Couldn't hurt I guess. I actually find the lack of 'asspats' refreshing. On dA though it's a younger batch of people watching your work so it's hard for them to see errors they can help with sometimes. I'm ready for the abuse! Nothing is going to scare me away. This will help me improve .

Last edited by Nashya; June 29th, 2006 at 01:46 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Nashya
    Hey !

I don't know if I'll do a sketchbook thread. My style isn't tight enough but sketching is what does that. So yea XD lol, maybe I'll try that someday when I'm a bit more advanced. Couldn't hurt I guess. I actually find the lack of 'asspats' refreshing. On dA though it's a younger batch of people watching your work so it's hard for them to see errors they can help with sometimes. I'm ready for the abuse! Nothing is going to scare me away. This will help me improve .
    ......when your bit more advanced... *laughs softly*
    girl...that kind of thinking is going to hold you back.... dont let this place intimidate you.... the people..who have sketchbooks here..are from all different skill levels.... some really good..and inspirational...
    some who are people trying to work hard to raise their skill level... (thats where i am) and some that are.. (well.. you'll see what i mean)

Nashya, just do it... dont let your hesitations hold you back... you said before.. you want to work on backgrounds and all..well working on perspective... will help alot...

anywho.. good luck to you

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    very cool. I like the lighting on the 1st one's face. I agree about the backgrounds being a bit unfinished looking. the 2nd is better. keep it up!

CHUA ART BLOG!- caricatures, illos etc.

www.CHRISCHUA.deviantart.com
    www.TENTONstudios.com
    Liquid Fury- Kung fu/sci-fi action Graphic novel
    Hyper Demented Turdle Showdown- "Itchy & Scratchy meets Kill Bill meets Samurai Jack"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah I totally adore these!!! The first is awesome! I love the look on the little white womans face and the colour the mans hair! Great! The 2nd piece is much much better but i find that her leg is slightly too thin for her body, but that doesn't really spoil thr picture.

Fan-bloomin-tastic!!

Note to self: START DRAWING FROM LIFE!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Any suggestions for painting rocks or corel? Outside of using reference do you know of any... brush stroke methods?
    Nashya, I suck at Photoshop There are lots of threads on here about brushing technique, etc. over in the Photoshop section though.

Procrastinator At Work - Eventually!

* Help a CA artist! Visit the Constructive Critique section! *

"The problem is, the world these kids create for themselves is at first a very crude one. If you leave a bunch of eleven-year-olds to their own devices, what you get is Lord of the Flies."
    -Paul Graham

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looks like a promising style! I like the way you make stark contrasts between the blurry/out of focus backgrounds and the sharp focal point of characters. Looking forward to see more

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.