Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks

RNS Sings The Body Electric...

Alrighty, I've been lurking for a while and I've finally gotten the courage to start a thread here! I'm a seventeen year old heading to RSAD as a Computer Animation Freshman. I love Video Games and I wanna go into that field. The following are sketches from my sketchbook: life drawing and concept stuff. I've been greatly inspired from the work and community I've found here, and I would love to become a part of it. I am very open to suggestions, critique, comments, and "why don't you draw ..." So give me some feedback and challenges and I'll rise to meet them.

By the way, I had no idear if I was supposed to write anything to introduce this, lolz.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I feel almost obnoxious one pic per post... but it beats fighting Photobucket resizing! The top is my friend Jessica, and the next is Feet, Moulin Rouge stuff, and a car drawing:

Thanks
    Random Asian Girl!

Thanks
    Figure.

Thanks
    Comic Characters to follow.

Thanks
    Nurse!

Thanks
    Invisible Consoles and Chair... heh.

Thanks
    Monkeytoes man.

Thanks
    Last guy, this is all I have in my new tiny sketchbook... there should be more later, and more life drawing... I promise!

Thanks
    Great start! Keep on with the studies. I really like the hair in the first post and the figure in the fourth post the most. Keep on posting.
    !darkchild!

Feel free to checkout my work:
    darkchild's sketchbook

Don't forget to visit the Critique Section!!

* Help a CA artist! Visit the Constructive Critique section! *

Thanks
    Well, check it out, it's Rachel.

Bout time you showed up to the party! Too bad you missed the workshop in Montreal, it was a blast.

It's Justin, FYI. I figured you'd show here sooner or later!

Let's see what you got!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pixeldragoon
    Well, check it out, it's Rachel.

Bout time you showed up to the party! Too bad you missed the workshop in Montreal, it was a blast.

It's Justin, FYI. I figured you'd show here sooner or later!

Let's see what you got!
    lol, I've been at the party, sir. I just hadn't been sketchbooking it up, lol. Thanks for the welcome. You were right, this site is pretty nifty!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,223 Times in 626 Posts
Nice stuff RNS! really cool character studies! keep it up!
and yeah, welcome to CA i suppose

Thanks
    Hey, welcome to CA. Uh, first I've all, I'd like to point out that you can attach multiple images to the same post; 5000 posts for various images really isn't necessary.

As far as the work goes, my suggestion right now would be to stop cartooning and start boning up on your anatomy / observational skills. There are various glaring discrepencies in your drawings that really warp them overall - for example, the girl with the intricate hair has impossible hands. One arm is longer than the other, one hand larger than the other; both are really too long compared to the rest of her body, and those feet would never support her. Monkeytoes man carries no weight - he is stiff, still; he doesn't appear to really be in motion, and the legs are of inconsistant lengths. The woman sitting in the chair is also anatomically impossible - the foot is bending way too far; it would only do that if the leg was broken. The other guy sitting, the one with the coat, is all sorts of awkward. The overall slant of the body is off, and the drawing leans, making the bend in the neck look slightly exaggerated and causing the position of the head to appear off. Flip it horizontally in photoshop and take another look.

Honestly, overall the first one's probably my favorite because it looks as though it were drawn observationally - while the anatomy of the face in profile is off, the marks are more fluid. The asian girl, I hope, was not from observation - her stance is stuff, straight on - the hips look exaggerated, and the face is too large. Compositionally, it is also generally a bad idea to cut off a drawing at the knees; there are certain cutoff points that just don't work, the wrists being another that comes to mind. It just leaves the image hanging, wanting. Anyway. Not trying to tear you a new asshole, just constructive criticism. Keep on truckin'

Thanks

Recent Anatomy Stuff and Junk.

I've bought an anatomy book I like so! The first was a really intense Black and white photo that I loved, I tried to show how the hair melted into the back, I never finished the legs and foot, so they aren't really well done. The next was another photo and hand. Blind contours, and a SKETCH of the skeleton. Looking at the skeleton is intimidating and I've never drawn one before. I decided to start with a sketchy loose version to kind of get me accustom. I like it. Thats it for the past few days. Thanks for the crits, they are much appreciated. I know my figures aren't perfect, but I don't have much reference and never have had a figure drawing class. I only got me some books lol!

Thanks
    Anatomy for the artist by Sarah simblet. The one where you told me...

oh, I think it was somethin like
    "Wow, you can successfully look at anothers accurate drawing of a spine[or in this case another drawing], copy it, making the lines slighty sloppier, the shading sketchy, and improve your skills?

Why not draw a skeleton, or find really good reference? Or... try harder?"

Hahaha.

back at ya.

By the way there was no shading on the earlier spine.

Try describing the Black and white pics without lines. I see alot of the base lines before you shaded it, like on the knee. Think more about the forms (Which is sort of ironic considering it's a picture, but you get the point), especially with the B/W's, which are meant so they are easier to copy from. Try takin some 5B, toning your paper with it before you start. I find it works well, you can see values a whole lot clearer on the drawing, and you aren't starting from base white so it's alot easier, half the work is done already. It also puts a flat gray over the whole thing, not just one side of a texture, so that little white spots won't ruin the sketch when it's scanned.

Edit; As for life drawing, as Coro once said
    "No life drawing? Bull shit! Go on google and type in Hot Bitches XXX, there's your life drawing."
    I know Photos suck, but they suffice until I get a car.
    Flickr.com has really nice collection of great ref pics.
    Last edited by Pixeldragoon; July 4th, 2006 at 01:35 AM.

Thanks
    Justin, I tried the 5B trick and it really helps. It helps you to start to see calue so that when you go back to normal drawings you can see the medium tone to pull out the darker values and lighter ones too. Basic face practices. Some are off, some eyes are funny, but looking the values on black and white pictures and color ones really helps. My favorite is the African American woman. I was so intimidated, but was pleased with the results.

Thanks
    Cool! Of the latest attempts the skull (facing 90 counter clockwise) is by far my favorite. Keep it up!

EDIT: A suggestion would be to think of the forms more as 3d models- imagine their wire frame, and cross hatch paralell with the wires (Both across and around). The skull for example, the first one with the spine showing. Look at the way it's shaded; I always call it "organic" hatching when it's curved along the forms so much- but it works fine doing it straight or slightly curved as well. It gives whatever you draw a much increased depth to it, and helps pencil precision as well =]

Thanks
    I love your character designs! i've always lacked in that area.

I have that same anatomy book! Anatomy for the Artist right? That's a great resource, it's probably one of my most prized possesions haha!

Keep Posting!
    I hope that once you get started in your Computer animation classes you'll post some of that work too!

Thanks
    Robin: Thanks man. I love character design... however, my anatomy isn't up to par. I'm working on that tho. Made a sweet character today that I plan to work with. Yeah, Anatomy for the artist is all I've been working from... such amazing photos!

Justin: I put in mind what you said on the blonde woman, but the scan is really light. I'm really watching the forms of the figures and how the muscles and the skin stretch and contract.

This is the last of my faces, next is a few neck studies. The first is several days old, some expression studies from a book. After that a woman in blonde hair, Some fun vaue work on this really dark black and white picture. The last face I did I decided to do on my Earthtone paper to make myself feel special. I haven't worked on this paper so I'm sure my tool skill with it will improve. Looking at the beginning of my sketchbook it is refreshing to see what I've done so far!

Critiques are really welcome, because I want to get better and better. I also ordered a tablet! /squee So I should start making some attempts at digital painting come monday. Thanks in advance!

Thanks
    RNS this is some great stuff man. Thanks for popping by my sb but at the moment it's just too late for me to hope for any sort of coherent critique. I have to say though that you have made some really good improvement.

In fact you seem to have been given such good advice by ppl already that i might take some of it on board for myself! Really do like what i have seen though.

I'll make sure i contribute from now on man... huh girl, right?
    -PJ
    Keep the child alive...
    Dare to Believe Sb
    Website
    Blog
    Class 1 and 2

Thanks
    Loads of studies, yeah! I've got your anatomy book too, I love the photo's but the plates I'm not so enthousiastic about. They are almost too accurate, like a medical handbook, but don't offer you too much overview. I've got a couple of others too, like Bridgeman's constructive anatomy. Sometimes you can get a anatomybook of the internet too as a pdf, might be something.

Heads are coming along nicely. I thing the earthbound paper will work for you... If you like the toned approach. The rendering is a little rough at times, but improving.
    Are you going to do some full bodies again?

Thanks
    hey thanks for the comment!

i really like your costumes and faces, they look really nice. keep up the great work and keep posting!

Thanks
    Score for the toned books!!

Watch the facial construction on the female face, the nose is a bit out of alignment with the rest of the face.

Thanks

First Digital Painting Ever.

I got my Wacom today, busted it out, grabbed a Mango and worked. This is my first digital painting ever, and though not entirely realistic I had a lot of fun and I'm picking up this new tool quickly. Its more of an Impressionist piece. I followed the steps found on forums, working with large chunky colors and down. I used the pastel brush in Painter IX.

Thanks
    Your bone studies are top notch. I wish I could purchase patience, bah!

Thanks
    nice job with the mango, keep em coming!

Thanks
    Crazy colours I like it!

Thanks
    man i swear you guys are gonna kill me with your toned paper and wacoms! I gotta get myself both of those things. Anyway i was gonna say something, and now i for... oh yeah!

Something that i have had a problem with is this. I study the body and lots of anatomy for a certain period of time, really in depth sometimes. The problem is i don't find any kind of drawing that i want to do that employs what i am studying on order to commit it to memory.

So for today that would be my 2 cents, study all the anatomy you can but try to do some drawings for the next week or so after that that shows how you have used what you tried to learn. And then shows us what you ended up with! *S*
    -PJ
    Keep the child alive...
    Dare to Believe Sb
    Website
    Blog
    Class 1 and 2

Thanks
    UPDATE TIME! Yay! Actually I've been at my Dad's learning guitar and hanging out before school starts. I sketched a bunch, some are before I left... and there are strange things too. Im working on perspective at the moment, and you'll see it in one city scape Im working on.

FIRST: Neck studies; 3 of them. First one done in marker is my favorite. I tried to use different media. The markers I used were copic the cool grey scale 3,5,7, and 9. The other two are pencil. I had to draw this weird head to explain what part of neck you're looking at :?

SECOND: A collage. I liked it so I decided to put it in here. Not complete yet, tho. Not sure if it will end up completed. Need gold sharpies for the elephant head.

THIRD: Weird Moose Hat girl. The legs are all wrong, but I like how her hand at the bottom looks like its carrying her weight.

FOURTH: Sketches for possible city-scape drawings.

• Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast