Sketchbook: Derram's Sketchbook...meh

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Derram's Sketchbook...meh

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Derram's Sketchbook...meh

So, first of all, thanks for stopping by. This'll be where I post all my child like doodles for everyone to look at. Obviously, I doubt myself a little (heh), so thats why I'm starting this. I want to get better, and just whining about it isn't enough any more. Soooo here I go!

meh.. it was all crap anyway.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Derram; September 18th, 2006 at 06:21 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,219 Times in 624 Posts
    Follows
    Following
hey, Nice start! You have nothing to loose so just keep drawing!
some recommended stuff is loomis! check my sketchbook, first page, very
loong down for link! and download the PDF'S for free!
and yeh, welcome to SSG27!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    HEHE, thanks Dile. This should be fun.

For today I've got a 2 new practice sheets, I'm itching to do a finished piece so something will be finished soon.

First up, The top portion was from ref, mainly newspaper. The face and organ thing are all me. BTW, it was supposed to seem as if the paper had a rising face on it, but a screaming organ is kinda cool too... gotta redo that.
    Name:  08.jpg
Views: 1298
Size:  28.0 KB

Next, more doodles from the bus. Execpt the car, the car I did waiting for the bus. Never thought I'd be upset that my bus was early....
    Name:  09.jpg
Views: 1242
Size:  26.3 KB
    C&C's always welcome. Thanks for making it this far anyways, heh.

Last edited by Derram; August 15th, 2006 at 03:02 AM.
    Sketchbook

Quote Originally Posted by Julianna
    Wow, I might as well have said "I am working on a book urging the beating to death of baby whales using the dead bodies of baby seals."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Derram

Nice start dude. would recommend you work your anatomy some. Learning anatomy teaches one so much more than just anatomy. Learn to treat limbs as separate masses that are attached, interlocked. Refrain from making them one big mass. Also remember that a line doesn't need to just go around something, but over, under, in here and up there.

If you have time check out mentler's thread. That dude is a master at this, tons to be learnt from him. otherwise get something by loomis, hale or bridgman.

Great start dude, keep drawing!
    cheers

- d.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    welcome to SSG27 dude!
    i mostly agree with demeted, start studying the basic anatomy lessons. stay
    away from detailed studying and consentrate on structure and the basics.
    keep practicing, it pays off in the end bro!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hmm, good advice all around, thanks! I guess the outline thing comes from coping to many pictures... (not trace, copy.) My post for today is an example of that. I've been drawing for a while now, but most of that time was dedicated to coping stuff. So, I got pretty good at that... but still can't draw my own stuff for crap. Sigh, any ideas?
    Name:  10.jpg
Views: 1200
Size:  32.6 KB

And on the original art side, I did this a month or so ago, decided to put it of till I get more anatomy studies under my belt(especially the waist/hip region).
    Name:  rescream.jpg
Views: 1569
Size:  30.6 KB
    Still awaiting the day I complete a drawing... someday, someday.

Last edited by Derram; August 15th, 2006 at 03:02 AM.
    Sketchbook

Wow, I might as well have said "I am working on a book urging the beating to death of baby whales using the dead bodies of baby seals."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

~beating the path~

Hey Derram

Copying stuff can be good, especially some of the old masters' stuff. Ideas on drawing your own stuff? Yep - just do it. Just start drawing don't think about it just do it. If you need inspiration watch a movie - Alien and Riddick are of my alltime favourites. Or have a look at other people's imaginitive stuff - Hurricane, Mentler, Wesley Burt, Marco Djurdjevic, Sparth, Vyle there are tons of great artists.

My point being: art is a language, and to learn any language you must speak it and read/hear it. Thew more you take in and put out the better you will become.

Last ones are a good improvement - some problems with proportions in the last one, but it will come right in time. The thing about Anime/Manga (and most other comic art) is that the original artists know their anatomy inside-out, and know how to simplify it. But it's little use to study things that are so simplified. To get off the beaten path one must first be on it, to simplify anatomy one must first understand its complexities.

keep drawing, keep posting, you're doing great!
    ciao!

- d.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Heh, thanks. It's funny, when I think about it. Forsaking a strength is what it all comes down to. Thanks again for the thoughts, very uplifting.

Now for today, I gots my first round of postable anatomy studies. Mainly the legs, but I'm also looking into the waist and pelvis as well. I didn't draw the toes on the middle image because it was a quick sketch built off a frame work. In fact the calf isn't shaded, thats just one of the original guideline lines. I think it took maybe a minute, Definetly gonna practice that technique.
    Name:  12.gif
Views: 1699
Size:  40.8 KB

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
  • Ah, Awsome to see you doing NON-ANIME studies
    thats just pure awsome! keep it up derram!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    understanding the relationship between the ground and the pelvis and the pelvis and the rib-cage is paramount to constructing any pose with movement in it or any sitting/reclining pose. So it's great to see the sketch at the top of the page. Also great to see you representing them in terms of cubes. cubes are great for quickly establishing WHD - width, height, depth. They also (and subsequently) help create form, and form supports movement.

Think the foot without the toes look better - everyone can see it's a foot there's little need for the toes. Don't overstate the obvious, as Mentler always says.

Great to see these studies - they're really invaluable. Cannot wait to see more of them, cheers dude!

Dile: Ha - glad you liked the quote dude - something Mentler taught me. ciao dude.

- d.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey there fellow SSGer! Keep up the studies! Draw from life! Try to stay away from the anime for a while, believe me it'll suck you in. You need to draw from life a lot and learn to understand form. I hope to see some updates =)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Ksama
    Hey there fellow SSGer! Keep up the studies! Draw from life! Try to stay away from the anime for a while, believe me it'll suck you in. You need to draw from life a lot and learn to understand form. I hope to see some updates =)
    Couldn't agree more, I believe its good to understand the way things work before you try to develop a certain style. Studies and drawing from life are good way to go. Keep em coming. mentlers work is a great source here to learn from, countless others out there. keep at it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like the way that you drew the bunny on the top. yea, you should do anatomy also. that's what i'm doing and i can feel an improvement already. keep drawing.

SSG27, Suckas!
    "we blastin' off right now!"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks everyone, you guys rock! Nice to have someone give a damn about my drawing, instead of just: "W0ow thats nice (smile, nod)" .

Chronologic: Heh, thanks. That bunny is special to me, I do believe he was my first reoccuring character. Helped me get through some rough times, maybe I'll post some of that older stuff... that poor bunny...

Darktwing & Ksama: To late! I've been drawing in an anime style for quite awhile now. I'm going through all this to help me develop because, I got tired of it. It's all to simplified. Thouugh I can tell it'll remain a big infulence in the years to come. And I am doing life drawings, just don't like how they turn out (though I am getting pretty good with trees!).

Demented: What can I say. Thanks and I'll be posting more studies sooner or later. Just need to do some that aren't horriable, heh.

And here we have a WIP, I should be finishing it sometime today, but I wanted to get thoughts on it first. It's a redraw of a pic I did back in April. Now don't get mad, technically shes flipping me off, or my negativity to be more precise. Heres the original along with a nice little description. http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/33036307/
    Name:  wipfoff.gif
Views: 1558
Size:  84.4 KB
    heh, deviart.... think I updated that all of 3 times. think its time to clean the scanner...

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ahh, awsome! I was looking by before to see if you had
    updated and was alittle dissapointed... but now, awsome
    one bit big eyes though !?!! thats the stuff that you get from the
    anime stuff , so stay away from it completly now! not even doddle anime or something! however, keep it up nice to see your active!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, those eyes were big. I fixed 'em but I gotta clean it up more before I show it again(and I might start over). Well, note practice sheet to show today. Working on my shading and anotomy.
    Name:  14.gif
Views: 1444
Size:  123.0 KB

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

~so much more fun being the bad guy~

Yes, yes, come over to the anatomy side you must. anime side is for ninnie-goody-two-shoe-punk-ass-momma-boy-wannabes .

Great studies bro - already seeing a much better feel for the body and its flow - these may not seem like much now, but they will pay off later more than you can imagine. Awesome work.

I'm totally with Ksama and Darktwin on the life studies. Doing a lifedrawing of something new is like learning a new word, and it all adds up to help you say what you want to say. Draw everything, everyday in everyway - don't even think about it, just draw it.

Looking forward to more stuff from you!
    ciao!

- d.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    haha, join the dark side and stay away from anime lol

those newest one are very nicely done! keep it up, look at
    references!

Keep it up derram!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Keep up the good (anatomy) work, Derram =)

Lets see some sketches from life!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks again for the posts guys. This thread has really gotten me drawing, of course I don't post all of it cause it looks... not good... But the important thing is; I'm drawing more.

I've only got one thing to post today. I'm currently working on a head from the 50 head/month thread, but it dosen't scan properly, so maybe after I darken it a bit.
    Name:  15.gif
Views: 1818
Size:  67.8 KB
    Life drawings tomorrow, trees and people from the bus...

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    'nother day, 'nother update. Did a few life drawings, though, only one came out well enough to show... and it has problems as well... oh well, it's one of the best I've done so far, so I must be getting better at drawing from life.

It's a tree... yeah. Now I need to get better at staying on the page.
    Name:  16.gif
Views: 1318
Size:  44.8 KB

Eye practice, and the little guy was somone sitting at the bus stop.
    Name:  17.gif
Views: 1520
Size:  34.6 KB

And just in case anyones curious... that eye is still wrong...
    Name:  18.gif
Views: 1270
Size:  97.5 KB

Thanks for stopping by, more tomorrow!

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    And even more practice! Seems like thats all I'm doing recently, but I can tell it's helping so...
    Name:  19.gif
Views: 1253
Size:  186.8 KB
    As soon as I get a postable life drawing... I'll post it. Right now, I just can't get them finished...

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, just spent the last few days correcting my grip, lots'a straight lines and circles, heh.

Name:  20.gif
Views: 1187
Size:  44.4 KB
    First time drawing my hand in a mirror, & in pen.
    Name:  21.gif
Views: 1222
Size:  17.1 KB
    Nother pen study... mmm ramen.
    Name:  22.gif
Views: 1198
Size:  46.2 KB

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Not much today, had to go wrap up preparations for registraion for ye 'ole community college, so... yea!!

A little Loomis, should be doing this for awhile.

Name:  23.gif
Views: 1132
Size:  47.0 KB
    That looks a lot better on paper... really.
    Name:  24.gif
Views: 1130
Size:  28.1 KB

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, im in hurry, but I just wanted to visit your sb!
    and your latest stuff is quite amazing! keep the studies up Derram!
    and, dont forget to add Ksama to your Signature
    Keep the studies up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Where the hell have I been, Solid solid updates Derram, one of my favorite pages is the eye studies you did, great job man, now remember bad habbits die hard so just keep at it when you think you have em down because you practice a lot but still keep running into problems. Growing is a gradual process, I wish it was instant, but if that was the case, it wouldn't be interesting and noone would do it. Skull study is looking good also. Your on a nice path, keep them coming.

Also remember to draw what you like to keep things interesting, doing studies all the time can be mentally exhausting, but they will definitly pay off in the end. wonderful updates again,

cheers

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dile & Darktwin - Thanks guys, I need a little encouragement every once in a awhile.
    Darktwin - Seems that recently all I can draw is people... and all I can finish is studies... Sooo, I'm drawing pages of crap for myself, but all I post are a few studies. Guess I just need to find some ideas...

Small update today, still having problems with my grip so everthing else is all wiggly.
    Name:  25.gif
Views: 1158
Size:  90.2 KB
    I did the one on the bottom after I got home, about 3 hrs. after the first two... maybe I should stop drawing at work...

Last edited by Derram; July 13th, 2006 at 02:27 PM.
    Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Couple of quick wolf studys I did cause of the wolf drawing in Darktwins SB.
    Name:  26.gif
Views: 1552
Size:  78.2 KB
    Just noticed I seemed to have shrunk down the top of the skull to avoid drawing over the other image... hmmm gonna have to watch that.

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Figured I'd post this before it becomes a mess, first time using drawing pencils... and I have no idea what I'm doing... heh.
    Name:  27.gif
Views: 1089
Size:  191.8 KB
    If everything goes well I'll post the finished one.

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What you have here so far is looking good. eye alignment is a off a bit on the left eye, but thats no biggie keep going. your general structure of the head is good, not perfect, but it never is for anyone, . Ok from what you have so far, I'm reading the light source hitting the left side of his face. I'm reading the planes pretty good. Push the values more, meaning make where its dark, a little darker, and where its where there are highlights a little lighter. give it a try.

I really like the head structure studies also, if you don't have any ideas, draw what your not comfortable with sometimes.

• Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.