ImagineFX magazine - your input
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: ImagineFX magazine - your input

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

ImagineFX magazine - your input

Hi all
    been a while since I've been around here…
    Anyhow, I hope most of you know about ImagineFX. I wish I could point you to a site for more info, but I can't YET.

The reason for this post is to ask for your feedback on the mag. What can we do better? What would you like to see more of? Be as specific as possible, nothing's too silly for me to comprehend (apart from poshspice having a jelly mould head).

So, workshop subjects, tips features, interviews, advice, our Q+A – anything you'd like to see improved, ditched, torn up, burned, eaten, spat out… let me know. Artists have shaped this mag from the very beginning and I wanna keep it that way.
    Thanks in advance.

Editor
    ImagineFX magazine
    rob@imaginefx.com
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Mike
    Issue 1 and 2 are sold out, 3 onwards are available. There's a page in the mag every month with a number. In fact, I'll post it here - feel free to pass it on.

ImagineFX back issues:

+44(0)8704448455
    Lines open Mon-Fri 8.30am to 9.30pm, Sat 8.30am to 4pm (GMT)

or

email: imaginefx@subscription.co.uk

Obviously mags are available while stocks last.
    Cheers - talk soon
    Rob

Editor
    ImagineFX magazine
    rob@imaginefx.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The collectors issue cover was a great idea, metallic ink rocked as well as the seprate info card, imagine thats to expensive to do each issue.

Anatomy workshop was great, and i think next issue your starting that up again, right? thats a good perminent section to keep in.

I go straight to the Expose section every issue, and amatuer artist bit to. Afriad to say i just skip over all the manga stuff, but i imagine thats gotta be represented but personally i dont bother with that parts.

The Barlowe worskhop was great, so more breakdowns like those would be cool.

Its good to see you guys are just as passionate as the people who buy your mag, kept a special shelf on my bookcase for all my issues to date and the many more to come.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm really impressed with some of the big name artists you're able to feature each issue. The article with Brom was great, that just an example of a contemporary artist as opposed to Boris and Julie. You're doing a fantastic job on that front.

There are quite a few people around here that are just getting started, and I'd imagine that's true across the board. Maybe you could have a running series on foundation techniques. The anatomy serial is a perfect example, but after you're finished with that continue into lighting basics, building color palettes around a theme or subject, etc.

Keep up the good work. ImagineFX is the best mag out there, well worth the $15 US.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Rob, really great mag! I love buying it, however it takes at least 1 month to get down to aus after the issue releases which is pretty painful to wait for. That's probably my only issue with it, improve international shiping.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The last issue I picked up (#5) had some great stuff in it, but (IMHO of course) there was an article on mecha robots that frankly was laughable. The quality of the art just wasn't anywhere near on par the rest of the art in the magazine. With all the mech-crazy artists around I'm sure you could have found a much better representation of this subject. (sorry to harp on it, but it really threw me for a loop.) My suggestion would be as much as possible to keep a consistent level of quality, especially in the in depth articles section.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I agree, some of the manga/anime stuff doesnt interest me too much, but Im sure there are readers who apreciate it. I love the magazine, I have only read one issue, but I basically read it cover to cover, and I am definitely keeping it in mind everytime I hit the bookstore from now on.

My Sketchbook
    My Website
    Atlanta Sketchgroup
    "Why should I believe you? You're Hitler!"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Rob, I just wanted to say that the issues i've read are great.

As of right now, the mag is the best one out there, I'd love to see some more comic artist's stuff.
    Great Job!

Mack
    Online portfolio: www.mackart.ca

Last edited by Lone Wolf; June 28th, 2006 at 08:00 AM.
    2011 Sketchbook

New Helzon's SB R.I.P. Mike

"I am obsessed with the process of creation" -Zdzislaw Beksinski

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm not a big fan of the manga stuff, but the mag should be more than just amazingly painted pieces of work for variations sake. I'd prefer it if the manga stuff was switched for more comic based work, for example, Gez Fry, Adam Kubert, Chris Bachalo or even #begin shameless self-promotion# me!

The sketchbook thread!

The Art of David and Sarah Cousens: www.CoolSurface.com!
    The Cool Surface Art blog: http://CoolSurface.blogspot.com!

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/DavidCousens

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveTheOriginal
    I'm not a big fan of the manga stuff, but the mag should be more than just amazingly painted pieces of work for variations sake. I'd prefer it if the manga stuff was switched for more comic based work, for example, Gez Fry, Adam Kubert, Chris Bachalo or even #begin shameless self-promotion# me!
    ya, but the manga stuff sells issues!!
    Its like going to a comics store and suddenly being surrounded by a gazillion magic card kiddies yelling and screaming "my deck is better than yours aaaaaagggggghhh", but thats what keeps the store alive, so you bite your teeth together and buy youre comics......

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Don't mind the magazine having manga sections, except that it'll be good to get better manga artists to provide tutorials. In the past issues, there've been quite a few who aren't really up to par, methinks.

...+1 exp

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the comments so far, guys. I'd be really interested in seeing some examples of the kind of manga work you'd like in the mag (please email me if you have any links to artists etc).

And if you want to be featured in any way, it's easier to email me direct. Keep the ideas and suggestions coming - it'll help us plan content that you want to see.
    Thanks again
    Rob

Editor
    ImagineFX magazine
    rob@imaginefx.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the heads up Rob. See if you can get Stephen Platt interested? He is a great comic artist that hasn't done any work in years.

2011 Sketchbook

New Helzon's SB R.I.P. Mike

"I am obsessed with the process of creation" -Zdzislaw Beksinski

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by ImagineFX
    Thanks for the comments so far, guys. I'd be really interested in seeing some examples of the kind of manga work you'd like in the mag (please email me if you have any links to artists etc).
    I have no links right now (perhaps will be able to follow up later) but these guys are always a treat:
    Tatsuya Tanaka, Koji Morimoto.

tensai

check the Tensai Tokyo Sketch Thread (Sketchbook)

check the Tensai Cityscapes Thread (Finally Finished)

bLok

Quote Originally Posted by strych9ine
    Fuck backgrounds, who needs em.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow -- I feel like someone famous stopped by - if only because I discovered this magazine in my local Borders store and now have a subscription. I felt like I was a part of a special club when I found it -- since not many people know about digital art!

So, I'm pretty happy with this magazine.

However, even being a /very/ new artist (picked this up 8 months ago) I still have some opinions!

I agree with what some of the posters have said about some of the artists featured not being up to par -- but this isn't as bad as 2dartist mag. I guess I just want to be awed instead of wondering why they are still thinking that the dodge/burn tools are OK to highlight or shade with.. haha!

Oh yeah, I skip over all the manga -- but not because I don't like it, but it's because that isn't what I paint and it's soooo stylized that I don't think it can help me much. However, I do like looking at feature film art - such as Hayao Miyazaki's films - which are beautiful and not your typical manga at all.

Also like Shirow Masamune's Ghost in the Shell. These two are top quality Japanese animation.

“It is enough that we set out to mold the motley stuff of life into some form of our own choosing; when we do, the performance is itself the wage.”
    -Learned Hand

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science. He to whom the emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause and stand wrapped in awe, is as good as dead; his eyes are closed." ~Albert Einstein

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    gah i just managed to read a little bit of it when i went to england, but i really loved it.Actually i think i'm gonna subscribe, but unfortunately i'm not goint to find the first issues anymore.ARGH.Anyway, really a well done magazine.
    (you could give some kind of "gift" if someone subscribes, like some sort of discout of something)

ciao

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Mike - that's nice stuff.

Editor
    ImagineFX magazine
    rob@imaginefx.com

asoir is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Going to echo Mike, very nice mag by the way!
    Got a letter printed in it too

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've been buying ImagineFX since issue one and I'd agree, I love manga style illustrations but I skip right over those sections because I feel the quality isn't up to the standard I've seen elsewhere (Gez for example). I'd also love to see a more regular anatomy section as the others have stated. You have the .net disc editor to thank for my continued support so keep up the good work guys!

Oh yeah - please get an article on HOON http://www.messs.cc/gallery/HOON

I'm starting to need an ImagineFX magazine binder too.

Last edited by Tenno; June 28th, 2006 at 12:48 PM.
    SKETCHBOOK!
    IF THIS POST DOES NOT CONTAIN SKETCHES OR PAINTINGS - REPRIMAND ME!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I absolutely love this magazine! The pro Q & A section is my favorite part. You guys are doing a terrific job. One of the few magazines that I look forward to each month. Top notch production from front to back.

The only things I'd recommend is to get rid of the manga parts. I agree with the previous posts that the quality of that artwork is not on par with the rest of the art in the magazine. Maybe not get rid of it altogether, but possibly move it onto the DVD. Also, I’d like to see a reoccurring section that focused on the basics like color theory. Other than that, your magazine is perfect!

P.S. Would it be possible to get video tutorials on the DVD? Nothing terribly elaborate. Sometimes watching a person paint is more helpful than reading about what they did.

Thanks and good luck to you guys! Lookin’ forward to the next issue...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I just bought the latest issue. Great magazine. Good tutorials and i'm incredibly happy to see familiar favourites (really liked you guys mentioning the LMS). It's also nice to see the faces of those artists, since most of the time they carry an avatar on the boards, and to learn about their backgrounds in a compact yet through way.

I'd like to see some more (variation of) artists though and i'd like some articles that not just focus on 'how to draw/paint this'. Meaning: the business part of handling clients and promoting oneself on this field etc. Also some more in depth interviews/tutorials on say characterdesign or things like storyboarding, anatomy, lightning etc. It would also be fun to have a 'challenge' or 'theme'/trend for some issues, with comments of pro's on the particuliar subject.

I'm selftaught, so i don't know anything about artschools, but i would like to know where the next generation is getting bred and what to look out for. What are the best schools/courses/ what are the companies to bother etc. What do professionals think of 'the industry'? What is exactly 'the industry'? How to break into the industry? What are 'fair' expectations of certain jobs?

I know i can find all those things online if i'd actually go and look everything up and there are other magazines with this information. I'm just lazy enough to want to know that information in one monthly issue i can store for some longer time and flip through occassionally and wanting to know it for a specific field only.

I don't mind the manga. It's good to have a variation of styles, but perhaps there should be some more backgroundinfo about the influences of a certain style and more variation of styles (cartoony, fine art, realistic, abstract, manga, roger rabbit, kim possible and skippy, the bush kangaroo, just name it; i'd like to see all of it.)

Seems like i'm very critical about the magazine, but these are all ideas splashing out randomly out of my head and just things that imo can never be mentioned too much. To be clear: I'm NOT dissatisfied with IFX, in fact I do think that i'm gonna continue to buy the magazine regurarly. Above mentioned comments are just 'if you're gonna dive into a pile of subjects to write about, i'd like you to consider this'.

Keep up the good work and mention CA more often .

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some really good points, thanks very much - it gives the team fuel to make the mag better. Just keep the ideas coming!

Editor
    ImagineFX magazine
    rob@imaginefx.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Rob. Just an idea for your mag.

How about a section where pros give crits on submitted pieces by readers. There could be a theme per issue for this section (or just select portfolio pieces) and the editors and "judges" pick which ones to be analyzed. Discussing points like what works, what doesn't, how to improve, etc.

An issue's DVD can even include "paintover" files or a short video clip by the critiquer, with voice over hopefully, explaining improvements, theory or software tips.

I know it mirrors the online forum experience, but I think it would be interesting to read a thoughtful but no-holds-barred feedback (kinda like a movie review) by some of your contributors, like Todd Lockwood, dissecting a "rising" artist's work or even one from an established pro.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by ImagineFX

Rob

A few skillful/creative manga artists that I have links for:

Range Murata (webmaster@pseweb.com)
    (http://www.pseweb.com/illust.htm)

Katsuya Terada (terra@cacazan.com)
    (http://www.catsuka.com/focuson_bdill...katsuya&page=2)

Lim Hak Soo (limha@maxxsoul.com)
    (http://www.arting365.com/htmldata/20...le_6244_1.html)

It'll be a treat if imaginefx can get them to provide some nice tutorials.

...+1 exp

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Rob!

I'm a regular reader of your magazine and I can tell you that it's just awesome. I'm not entirely sure if it fits your agenda but I'd like to see some more articles on figure study and also an article about different photoshop brushes and settings ( such as watercolour and oils which many people might not notice without some help )

Also an article/interview of an artist who shares a similiar style with Graig Mullins and John Wallin would be great. It would be great to get some insight in terms of imitating traditional painting with the digital medium.

Just my two cents
    Keep up the great work!
    -Juhani

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Rob,

How about video tutorials on the dvd, like in this thread?

Great mag, keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Aerythes
    A few skillful/creative manga artists that I have links for:

Range Murata (webmaster@pseweb.com)
    (http://www.pseweb.com/illust.htm)

It'll be a treat if imaginefx can get them to provide some nice tutorials.
    Get Range Murata to do a tutorial and I'll buy 5 copies that month!pld:

SKETCHBOOK!
    IF THIS POST DOES NOT CONTAIN SKETCHES OR PAINTINGS - REPRIMAND ME!

Members who have read this thread: 1