Sketchbook: Fishspawn's Journey

View testimonialsView Artwork
Page 1 of 37 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Fishspawn's Journey

Update 3/5/09
    Working hard to get into the games industry! Busy with tons of work and school and side projects as well, just spending more time on art than the forums these days. I still love feedback on my work, so if you have anything to say I'll definitely get back to you. For newer work go to page 34

Update 2/15/08

Ok, so I've been AWOL lately. I've been relying on school for most of my art output lately, but i need to get back to my goal for this sketchbook. Gotta keep pushing myself to improve! So I'm going to start the speedpaint thing, daily. Let's see how this goes.

Update 8/15/07

Whoo! Moved in to my appartment and classes start monday. I've been feeling the urge to draw more and more over the last month so even though i havent been posting, i've been getting ready to draw a lot again. I'm planning on going back to my roots and posting everyday no matter what. Also planning to be much more active in other peoples' books I thank you all for the wake-up call and advice, i'm going to be putting as much effort as i can into everything this semester and drawing as much as possible. Keep me going!

Update 3/26/07

I was not accepted into CalArts, so i will definitely be attending Laguna College of Art and Design this fall in the animation program - glad to not have to make that choice I'm currently focusing a lot on reworking my use of media, especially pencil, and learning watercolor. I think I'm also going to shift a little more towards animals and vehicles for a while. Still trying to learn how to "finish" things as well, i usually prefer gestural work and quick sketches to detail stuff, but i'm trying to find a balance.

Update 9/30/06

Okay, it's now about 3 weeks from portfolio day where i can test my metal against 20+ colleges in one day, so i've gotta build a rock awesome portfolio. Thats where you guys step in.

I'd really appriciate it if you would post your 1-3 favorite things from this thread and let me know what you think should be in my portfolio and why. My parents and I, along with a friend/teacher are going to be deciding on what to put in, but i'd like some input from the CA community as well.

So tell me what you like! Within a week or two i'll post my portfolio and then let you know how portfolio day was.

Update 9/23/06

Alright, i have been kind of relaxing with regards to art lately, mainly just my figure drawings and a little bit of PS doodling. This has got to change. My motto when i really "started" my life as an artist one year ago was "back to the basics". I was going to work my way up from ground zero and become the best. I've come a long way since then, but i've lost sight of my goal. So now, here, i'm going back to the basics again. Every day i will do either a SP, still life, or life figure study and post it here. Only traditional media, the wacom is going to get some rest.

If i don't keep it going EVERY day, i want harassment, lots of it.

Update 8/23/06
    I'm a senior in high school at last I am currently enrolled in basic life drawing at a community college and i'm in crunch time for portfolio day in October at Laguna College of Art and Design where i will test my metal with all of the colleges i'm looking at. Critique is essential and adored here in my lair.

I've moved the images from this post to my 2nd for editing purposes

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Fishspawn; March 5th, 2009 at 10:44 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good start. You have the basics going well. Just watch those faces and hands. They are bit flat to me. I really like the sunset piece, you pulled off the reflections very well.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, I've been inspired many a time here so i thought i would start a sketchbook to help improve and hopefully help others. I'm a junior in high school but i started figure drawing weekly about 6 months ago and.. uh.. thats where I'm at. My first post will just be stuff from the last 6 months and i hope to keep it daily. I will take any and all critique!

Sorry if the quality of the images are bad this is the first time i've done this.
    The drawings are all in charcoal on 18 x 24 and the non-figure ones are from a basic drawing class. The paintings were done from ref over winter break on a wacom.

After the sunset is some sketching from the last couple of days. I like to draw people i don't know off of Myspace for face practice. Some of them are self portraits - samurai style?

Some questions. Should I mess with the contrast or is that stupid shadow from putting a sketchbook in a scanner alright? Also, is there a way to write between images with the new image system?

Bendragon - Thanks. Yeah, the hands and faces bug me as well, that's mainly what i'm working on right now.

Okay here's some stuff i actually did today, drawings of my hand (i was going to do a bunch more but something came up >.<) and a photoshop hand/eye ... thing. It was going to be more hands but then it kept changing and i was having fun doing weird junk.

Last edited by Fishspawn; August 27th, 2006 at 11:48 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Yuck

I actually drew a lot today but it was on big paper and its late now so maybe i'll post it tomorrow. For today heres a fun creature from a few days ago and an icky self portrait from today. My goal is to do a quick one every day until i have a few hundred and see where i'm at.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Spiff

Another Self Portrait - happier with todays. Some more hands that i did the other day but was too lazy to put up. I'm going to get to draw some horses and i've never drawn any before so i was practicing with Drawing Animals by Norman Adams and Joe Singer (excellent book!). Usually when i draw horses they look like ugly dogs so i was pretty happy with my practice, although now i see that finished one is crooked :/. And as promised some of last night's figure drawing. 4 pages of one and two minutes and then a 20 minute pose. I did ~3 hours all together but i didn't want to post all of it. I'm working on an acrylic based off of one of Royo's women and thats fun but i dont have it with me, i will post it when it's finished.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some neat stuff you have here! You seem pretty good with digital. I like the last pic quite a bit. Strive for accuracy!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Horseses

landel - Thanks! Yeah, ironically its easy for me to forget to draw accurately, thanks for the reminder. I'll try to do some more digital work as well.

Today i got to draw some live horses so thats the bulk of it. There were more but they're in a big sketchbook and they didnt scan well :/. Then there's a morning doodle, an afternoon doodle, and a lackluster self-portrait for the day.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've always admired the people on here who can just make up amazing environments. I'm pretty bad at it but here's my start.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I figure i need to work more on my knowledge of underlying facial structure if i want to draw better faces. Thus, i call forth the obligatory bridgeman studies. After a while i got bored with human heads so i switched to my other book and then i did a self-portrait bridgeman style. Why do i look so angry bridgeman style? Last but not least i spent another 30-60 mins on my painting because i didn't like it. Crit is definately needed on that one.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    More doodles, some ref, another bridgeman-esque SP, more bridgeman studies.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good start u have here, especially the digital. Keep it up!

"The artist is nothing without the gift, but the gift is nothing without work."

From the Mind of The Penciler
    SSG #12
    25days-Penciler-OBX-Kresh
    -Boogieman-Oki

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, looking good so far.. Heres a pretty good way to contruct heads, its what i use http://www.anticz.com/heads.htm

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Extra-Special Morning Edition

-ThePenciler- Thanks! Will do.

Nuclear - Cool, i've never seen that method before. I'll be sure to give it a try!

Doing some doodles this morning and i realized my main problem with hands is that i can't draw thumbs. Here are the doodles and the subsequent journey with the man of bridges.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I was going to work from the site Nuclear gave me but the first line was "if you haven't done the previous tutorial don't do this one!" So I went back and read the one before it and i did a sphere. Another SP as well.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Reverse order big update

Chronologically these are kinda backwards. Figure Drawing. Shoulder studies from bridgeman and civardi from before figure drawing. Doodles. SP. Enjoy.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for stopping by my book.

Okay, your proportions and anatomy need attention. The figures are all really short. I think the average height is about 7 or 7.5 heads high. Most here are about 5 -ish. Instead of pumping out so much work, try taking the time to work on on or two and really make it work.

Keep practicing and posting

--Dayne

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    MrBobMarley - Thanks for the advice! Yeah, i think i have that tendency because up until about 6 months ago all i did was cartoony stuff, whether it be calvin and hobbes, anime, or comic books, so my proportions are all over the place. I'll definately work on it!

Here are some head gestures from watching an episode of Angel and another basic value study. I tried to make this one look prettier. I'm almost finished with that Royo study (i only get to work on it for 1.5 hours a week) so i should have it done in a week or two. Sorry for the small update, i was kinda burned out today :/.

EDIT: Forgot to do a SP today! Here's one before bed.

Last edited by Fishspawn; July 6th, 2006 at 03:23 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Keep up this blistering pace and you will be the next Mindcandyman! I can see it happening

Don't stop!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Asoir - Thanks! I spent weeks admiring Mindcandyman and then i realized i should have been drawing all that time >.>;

All of these are just doodles that i did today (I go walking every morning and in the car on the way to the walk i draw... at 7AM). I should have some studies up tonight at the regular time.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Fun

Finally i just printed out that ron lemen page and worked from it. Its really nifty. Then there are some proportion studies from civardi. Still having lots of trouble with it. But it's fun to learn! Keep the crits coming, i'm enjoying it!

Oh, i'm trying to take longer on my studies and make them more accurate and less gestural... but these were done in the car.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You are insane with the posting! Keep it up and you'll be golden. BUT!...I secong MrBobMarley. Work on a couple of things and make them good and move on. You'll learn alot more by taking your time and noticing where you mess up at.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Saikin - Thanks. Yeah. I am really bad at taking my time on things. Twenty minutes is tough. Anyway, its one of my top priorities to calm down and take a little longer to show what i can really do, which even i dont really know.

Um, i spent longer on fewer doodles and some civardi heads. I then did a horrible paintover of one of the doodles that took an hour without any real progress. Then i did a 15 minute island because i saw pirates of the carribean 2 today . My goal is to spend at least 1 hour on 1 drawing or painting every day... the horrible paint-over is todays.

Last edited by Fishspawn; July 9th, 2006 at 01:24 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Spunk-licious

By popular demand i only have a few things today that i spent about 10x longer on. A dude from my civardi book that took me about 2 hours. I still dont really like his face, but i was tired of working on it. After i decided not to work on it any more i spent 30-45 minutes goofing around in photoshop trying to get the values right. Color was too complicated yesterday so i stuck with B+W. I also did another speedpaint - this one was ~30 minutes.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's a progression so you can see my process for digital painting. Its fun because i'm just trying to figure it out based on what ive seen people here do, but i'd still like critique because i dont know what i am doing. I was going for a haunted forest with trees made out of bones... but i dont think they really look like bones. I spend a little over two hours on it and by my meter that's enough. I'm starting to enjoy this taking-my-time thing though... more than i thought i would.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You should look at more pictures of bones while youre drawing that: bones aren't just black and white, they have a natural yellowish hue to them. Study the shading, shape, etc, and then try to translate that over to your painting.

-Wil

SSG #11 is louder than 10.
    Taj | SkapeGoat | Dose206 | Noë | Cromsoneye | Tie | wil.whalen

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    koroshiya001 - Thanks for the kick in the face! I was being stupid. Here's another hour of fun.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yo
    i think you could benefit from some some contrast in your traditional drawing, and maybe try to clean up some of your lines, so they pop out more

i'm liking the colors in the last piece. pretty cool stuff. keep up with those studies! i oughta do some myself

"You know - one loves the sunset, when one is so sad..."

.the sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Jett - Thanks. Yeah, a lot of my drawings do look kinda flat. I'm trying to push the darks more but i guess i need to use a darker pencil.

Armor dude was a doodle that took like 2 hours. Some minor studies and the last one i have no excuse for.

Edit:There's my 15 minute paint-over for a new avatar... i was tired of my old one.

Last edited by Fishspawn; July 11th, 2006 at 02:35 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Life-a-tron

I worked more on my royo study today but i didn't finish... so i don't get to until august. The first half hour of figure drawing tonight was 30 second poses... it was definately a good warm-up! Then some 5's, and then some 20's to finish. The one where it looks like he's kicking himself was completely unintentional >.>. I was trying to focus more on accuracy, proportions, and line quality than value this time, which is why i only got 1 shaded in.

EDIT: Some more work on the friendly forest. Trying to make it look less friendly and more foresty.

Last edited by Fishspawn; July 12th, 2006 at 03:36 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

ouch

This is one of those posts that makes you wonder why i posted it at all. The answer is daily/honesty. I didnt get much time to draw today (none actually), so i just did some quick ideas before bed. They are all based on scenes i saw today and i may take them further later, but for now i was just getting the idea down. I would still love critique on the last post... or this one i guess.

Page 1 of 37 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.