Page 8 of 85 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 58 ... LastLast

Thread: Fishspawn's Journey

Thanks
    fedezz - Thanks! I agree, and since my class this semester is figure drawing i won't mind spending my free drawing time on other studies

At this point i'd just like to thank everyone on CA org, especially my SSG buds, for keeping me going. I've learned a lot even in this short time - most of it due to the great input i've gotten here.

Here's a 1.5 hour self portrait, lines and value.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Hey fish spawn! Soo many updates from you! It's really showing improvement.

Just a tip in regards the speed paint of elephant. I think the technique of building shape is there, but you need to work in more hmm how to say, richer values. Other wise it looks very washed out.

Speed painting is about indicating the idea rather then doing the colour wash. Hope that helps. Look at apathy sb - http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...010#post996010 , that should give you many ideas on what I'm talking about.

Keep it up! You give me alot of inspiration to work harder .

Thanks
    Thanks for checkin out my page! Great stuff goin on here, you definitely improved since your first posts. That last self port is looking good!
    You did a great job with this one! http://conceptart.org/forums/attachm...1&d=1154496020
    I love your feet and hands studies, but it seems like you are looser with the feet, and a little too tight with the hands. Try too accentuate, or even exaggerate the curves on the hands, as you do on the feet. The feet are brilliant! Keep it up!
    Last edited by guastaferro; August 27th, 2006 at 04:53 PM.

Thanks
    rayk - thanks! Yeah i knew i was doing something wrong, i think that's a good explanation. I'll see what i can do.

gustaferro - thanks for dropping by mine! I'll work on those hands. Thanks for the complement

Here are a couple of sketches from my big sketchbook and a digi-paint over of an old figure drawing for my thread avatar. I was trying to use more bold values and not blend. let me know what you think of it. 1.5 hours.

I've been drawing a lot of heads lately, just out of my imagination, trying to get them down. First i was doing the standard approach you get in how to draw comics books, with the oval divided into quarters, etc. Then, through this thread i was introduced to the ron lemen approach of drawing a sphere with chopped off sides and adding the face onto it.

Recently when guitarjames told me the foreheads were wrong i re-examined the whole thing. Now i've been using blocks and carving the face out of the block. I find this helps me to get the features in proportion, because they are set back in the head, and i dont cut off too much chin or forehead. The only reason heads look round is because they have flesh on them, skulls are rather boxy.

So as i've been observing people around me i've been iimagining them as boxheads with carved faces and its really helped me to grasp 3-d heads with correct proportions a lot easier.
    Last edited by Fishspawn; August 27th, 2006 at 10:58 PM.

Thanks
    Youre speeding through these Theres definatley improvemnets here. Escpecially on the faces they look more 3d. Keep working on the forms though, there are still times where things look flat. More loomis studies! They have helped u alot already. These are coming along nicely.

Thanks
    geeze, I don't have internet for a bit, and when I check up on stuff, everybody who's drawing is improving by leaps and bounds. Keep it up man.
    S S G 2 9
    -Fishspawn-Blue Severin- rayk-

You're an artist, not a meat camera. -Elwell

Thanks
    Bendragon - Thanks! I'll keep working on 3-dimensionality, and i'll knock out some more loomis as soon as i have time

Blue Severin - Hehe thanks. It's good to know others think i'm improving, because it can be hard to tell about myself. I appriciate it.

Here are some hands - i was trying to be more expressive with them, and another re-work of an old figga drawin. I don't think i did a very good job though :/.

Thanks
    last update the head is to big on the figure with fin ears abd the hands arent quite there yet i think it because the fingers are to long compared to the palm
    the last peice is my favrouite out of them but it looks a bit stiff and you need to push the values
    keep at it
    james
    idelwise pirate my sketchbook

Thanks
    guitarjames - thanks for the crits man. will do

Doodles. It's schoolin time so less time for study, although my life drawing class will get into gear soon, so you'll get that. But expect lots of doodles, and expect them to get cooler. Here's some of todays.

Note: I still like crits on doodles, my quick thoughtless stuff should show strengths and weaknessess just as well as finished pieces, maybe expose them more. So keep em coming!

Thanks
    Dead tired, here's a 20 min PS doodle. Any tips on how to establish atmosphere and a dynamic landscape would be helpful.

Thanks
    Nothing to post from my Life drawing class yet, and no time to do longer stuff, so here's schooly doodles. Critique them like you would my studies! (i know you will guitarjames )

PS: I'm almost done with this big sketchbook, soon you can see whole pages again in better quality!

Thanks
    Yay! Some of the ink(?) doodles are looking great, very dynamic and expressive. That is the best practice you can get: a mixture of structure studies, renderings and doodles. You learn different things from different type of practice, things that complement each other.
    As for the landscape, try using other brushes if you are going for the speedpaint feel. With structural brushes you can lay lots of details in no time, instead of rendering each individual tree i.e. Plus, using textures in different layer modes also helps a lot (I know I promised a texture tutorial, as soon as I finish my td entry I will get to it, and update my sb ) Barontieri has some cool brushes, useful for enviroments; and m@ posted his in his exclusive sketchbook at the members only area. I suggest you give them a try, at least just for fun.
    And the edge variation on your charcoal sp is lovely, do more pieces in that style, I think it's superb.
    Keep 'em coming.

Thanks
    fedezz - Thanks for the long comment! I'll be sure to show you some more charcoal soon.

No time to draw today, but here's some of playing with m@'s brushes on my elephant samurai.
    Last edited by Fishspawn; September 4th, 2006 at 12:22 AM.

Page 8 of 85 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 58 ... LastLast