Page 6 of 85 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 56 ... LastLast

Thread: Fishspawn's Journey

Thanks
    Pastels, graphite and crayola markers.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I really likr the head studies. The rendering is pretty good. The second batch is cool. Poses are cool and the coloring is lively. Did you use refs for the girl's head?

Thanks
    Saikin - Thanks. Yes, these are reffed from photos of models.

More value studies with markers. I tried to do some values in PS over one of those figures, but i didn't do a very good job - i need some advice to better my skin rendering in PS.

Finally, here is the almost-finished royo study - 9 hours. It's oil paints over an acrylic underpainting. Crits needed!

Thanks
    Nice, man. Stuff keeps getting better. For you pastels, crayola markers, and graphite, remember that value is way more important than color. These look really flat because all the colors are midtones. For the marker face on the upper left of this last post, the eyes are different levels. Also, if you're going to use markers, realize that you can get different values from the same color simply by going over an area again, this will help you get gradations instead of flat areas of shading. I like the Royo study, but I'd need to see the original to give you any meaningful crits. Keep it up man.
    S S G 2 9
    -Fishspawn-Blue Severin- rayk-

You're an artist, not a meat camera. -Elwell

Thanks
    Blue Severin - Thanks a lot for the crits! I needed to hear them. I'll see if i can find an online pic of that painting. EDIT: It's Jose Royo, and the painting i studied is impossible to find on the internet :/. I'll probably do another one though so i will do one i can find.

As requested, here are some longer self portraits. Both of them took about 3 hours. Then i got sick of them and went to 3 minute ones in marker. Last is the finished Royo study - 10 hours.
    Last edited by Fishspawn; August 6th, 2006 at 12:32 AM.

Thanks
    Damn, huuge improvements! That oil study is top notch. a small crit: some of the heads look somehow skewed. Mind the placement of the features (Blue Severin mentioned something similar). Also, you're chopping some of your portraits's skulls. This is very noticeable in those last ones done with a marker. They need more volume in the back of their heads.
    Cheers!

Thanks
    Awesome progress Fishspawn!

It's great to see, I like the oil study. It still looks like you're strugglinga bit with limbs though. Maybe try a few arm/hand and leg/foot studies just so you know where bits connect.
    *Tres Cute Sketch Group*
    ---no added monosodiumglutamate!!!---

Thanks
    Thanks for checking out my sketchbook. I think more then anything I'm impressed by the rate of which you're cranking this work out. I wish I had the time to draw with this kind of frequency, but I don't want to push myself to the point of where it's not fun. What I was most impressed with was your freedom of color usage on relatively simple sketches. I don't really let myself get free enough like that to just swap out my media at a whim. Looking forward to more!

Thanks
    Fedezz - Thanks. I've been noticing that too whenever i do measurements, but i can't seem to correct myself effectively. ~i'll keep working at it

Cwn Anwnn - Thank ye. Definately. There are some limbs in today's post - how's that for fast response?

Tigahstyle - My pleasure! I find that drawing is a self-feeding desire. The longer i draw, the more fun i have and the more i want to draw. Its only been these past few months when i've really had lots of time but i've discovered the more i do it the more fun it is! I didn't like using color like that at first either, but i was willing to try it, and after a few hours i was having a blast.

Sorry for the bad quality in the scans - my current sketchbook doesn't fit well on my scanner. I'm working a lot on value right now as well as thinking my line before i draw it. Also of course proportion and anatomy. It was fun to get back to ballpoint pen - i think it's my favorite medium. Haven't had much time to draw in the last couple of days so there are a lot of doodles. Will try to get something finished tomorrow.

Thanks

Vacaciones son divertidos

Going on another vacation. Once again i hope to update via laptop but i don't think it will be daily. Heres some life drawing for you.

Thanks
    Hello,

I'm not sure how long your models hold their poses, but try to be as precise as possible, even if you are consciously rushing. If you don't have it already, "The Complete Guide to Figure Drawing" by Anthony Ryder will help you out a bunch with figure drawing. Please buy that, and pay particular attention to the sections on boxing in the figure, creating envelopes, proportion, and identifying the terminator of shadows. Let me know what you think of that book, I'm sure you'll find it useful!

~ Stephen

Thanks

Vacationy

darkwolfb87 - Thanks for the input. Those were 10-20 minute poses. I'll be sure to check out that book, drawing books are my weakness >.>.

Here are some ball-point pen vacation doodles for you. The butts are reffed from civardi and some of the bodies are from life, but most are doodles. Just trying to do poses and angles from memory.

Thanks
    Kick ass update! You do so much work, it's inspiring, really. Keep it up and you'll be awesome in no time. Love checkin out your SB

Page 6 of 85 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 56 ... LastLast