Sketchbook: Fishspawn's Journey - Page 4

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 4 of 37 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Fishspawn's Journey

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dude, those feet are soooo much better! Ahh, the reward of the good 'ol practice thingie I'm also diggin the charcoal still life. I've neglected for a long time the still-life/objects-drawn-from-life practice, and time has shown me that these really improve your undertanding of volume, lighting and form, and help you a lot when doing more complex studies (like figures an the such).

Keep them coming!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    fedezz - Thanks! I agree, and since my class this semester is figure drawing i won't mind spending my free drawing time on other studies

At this point i'd just like to thank everyone on CA org, especially my SSG buds, for keeping me going. I've learned a lot even in this short time - most of it due to the great input i've gotten here.

Here's a 1.5 hour self portrait, lines and value.

Attached Images Attached Images    

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey fish spawn! Soo many updates from you! It's really showing improvement.

Just a tip in regards the speed paint of elephant. I think the technique of building shape is there, but you need to work in more hmm how to say, richer values. Other wise it looks very washed out.

Speed painting is about indicating the idea rather then doing the colour wash. Hope that helps. Look at apathy sb - http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...010#post996010 , that should give you many ideas on what I'm talking about.

Keep it up! You give me alot of inspiration to work harder .

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for checkin out my page! Great stuff goin on here, you definitely improved since your first posts. That last self port is looking good!
    You did a great job with this one! http://conceptart.org/forums/attachm...1&d=1154496020
    I love your feet and hands studies, but it seems like you are looser with the feet, and a little too tight with the hands. Try too accentuate, or even exaggerate the curves on the hands, as you do on the feet. The feet are brilliant! Keep it up!

Last edited by guastaferro; August 27th, 2006 at 04:53 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    rayk - thanks! Yeah i knew i was doing something wrong, i think that's a good explanation. I'll see what i can do.

gustaferro - thanks for dropping by mine! I'll work on those hands. Thanks for the complement

Here are a couple of sketches from my big sketchbook and a digi-paint over of an old figure drawing for my thread avatar. I was trying to use more bold values and not blend. let me know what you think of it. 1.5 hours.

I've been drawing a lot of heads lately, just out of my imagination, trying to get them down. First i was doing the standard approach you get in how to draw comics books, with the oval divided into quarters, etc. Then, through this thread i was introduced to the ron lemen approach of drawing a sphere with chopped off sides and adding the face onto it.

Recently when guitarjames told me the foreheads were wrong i re-examined the whole thing. Now i've been using blocks and carving the face out of the block. I find this helps me to get the features in proportion, because they are set back in the head, and i dont cut off too much chin or forehead. The only reason heads look round is because they have flesh on them, skulls are rather boxy.

So as i've been observing people around me i've been iimagining them as boxheads with carved faces and its really helped me to grasp 3-d heads with correct proportions a lot easier.

Last edited by Fishspawn; August 27th, 2006 at 10:58 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Youre speeding through these Theres definatley improvemnets here. Escpecially on the faces they look more 3d. Keep working on the forms though, there are still times where things look flat. More loomis studies! They have helped u alot already. These are coming along nicely.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    geeze, I don't have internet for a bit, and when I check up on stuff, everybody who's drawing is improving by leaps and bounds. Keep it up man.

S S G 2 9
    -Fishspawn-Blue Severin- rayk-

You're an artist, not a meat camera. -Elwell

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Bendragon - Thanks! I'll keep working on 3-dimensionality, and i'll knock out some more loomis as soon as i have time

Blue Severin - Hehe thanks. It's good to know others think i'm improving, because it can be hard to tell about myself. I appriciate it.

Here are some hands - i was trying to be more expressive with them, and another re-work of an old figga drawin. I don't think i did a very good job though :/.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    last update the head is to big on the figure with fin ears abd the hands arent quite there yet i think it because the fingers are to long compared to the palm
    the last peice is my favrouite out of them but it looks a bit stiff and you need to push the values
    keep at it
    james

idelwise pirate my sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    guitarjames - thanks for the crits man. will do

Doodles. It's schoolin time so less time for study, although my life drawing class will get into gear soon, so you'll get that. But expect lots of doodles, and expect them to get cooler. Here's some of todays.

Note: I still like crits on doodles, my quick thoughtless stuff should show strengths and weaknessess just as well as finished pieces, maybe expose them more. So keep em coming!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dead tired, here's a 20 min PS doodle. Any tips on how to establish atmosphere and a dynamic landscape would be helpful.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nothing to post from my Life drawing class yet, and no time to do longer stuff, so here's schooly doodles. Critique them like you would my studies! (i know you will guitarjames )

PS: I'm almost done with this big sketchbook, soon you can see whole pages again in better quality!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yay! Some of the ink(?) doodles are looking great, very dynamic and expressive. That is the best practice you can get: a mixture of structure studies, renderings and doodles. You learn different things from different type of practice, things that complement each other.
    As for the landscape, try using other brushes if you are going for the speedpaint feel. With structural brushes you can lay lots of details in no time, instead of rendering each individual tree i.e. Plus, using textures in different layer modes also helps a lot (I know I promised a texture tutorial, as soon as I finish my td entry I will get to it, and update my sb ) Barontieri has some cool brushes, useful for enviroments; and m@ posted his in his exclusive sketchbook at the members only area. I suggest you give them a try, at least just for fun.
    And the edge variation on your charcoal sp is lovely, do more pieces in that style, I think it's superb.
    Keep 'em coming.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    fedezz - Thanks for the long comment! I'll be sure to show you some more charcoal soon.

No time to draw today, but here's some of playing with m@'s brushes on my elephant samurai.

Last edited by Fishspawn; September 4th, 2006 at 12:22 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    your last pencil sketches are looking good .. think you should do a more finished peice though even if you just do 20 min on it a day
    with the digitals maybe try doing some simple shapes/refrence work first just to get better at rendering before trying stuff out of your head.
    ]james[

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    guitarjames - thanks, good idea. I'll work on stuff in small increments.

The doodles will keep coming, just because i get a lot of time to do them in the car/at school. Life drawing class starts tues/thurs this week, so i'll have some life for you soon. For now here are some doodles, learning how to draw dragons (my fav animal). First page was from a book, others from my head. Started a new digipaint, 40 mins into it, i'll work more on it and feedback would be helpful as i go along.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    doodle s looking good i prefer your dragons more than the ones from the book

digi ,, try adding in some darker values in the back round and just in general

keep it up
    james

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    guitarjames - thanks for the crits, i hope you like the changes

Heres the 2nd and 3rd phase of my aztec deal. I think i'll call this one done unless anyone has something special to say.

Editzor: Noodled around some more on those girls

Last edited by Fishspawn; September 4th, 2006 at 01:33 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That last enviro is way better than the previous. My only advice: pay more attention to perspective, lay some construction lines first, at least to guide you loosely thru the painting. And a little more color variation, more greens for the grass and blues for the skies. Perhaps putting some photo you like (any kind will do:vacations, friends, texture, etc) in a color layer (try other modes too, like overlay) and lowering it's opacity a lot, will help. Oh, and a sharpen filter will really punch it (use it once you have the image in your final posting size).
    You're really gettin' the hang of it, just keep 'em coming.
    Cheers!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I did a mega-quick paint over to show you what I meant about texture use. Hope you don't mind.
    This is done mostly pasting forest pics and home made textures, and playing with their opacity (used overlay, soft light and color modes), erasing areas that bothered me, etc. When I was finished, I applied sharpen 2 times, fading the second instance to about 10 percent. I hope it helps. If you need some sort of clarification, just let me know.
    See ya.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey there!

I can see you're improving in huge leaps. Keep it up mate!

Sorry I can't offer any real crits.

http://www.sakuhatakka.com/ - image portfolio

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    fedezz x fedezz = ... fedezz²? - Thanks a ton! Your example helped me a lot, and i'll be sure to try some of that when next i sail with davy jones... i mean... when i paint again. So you're using other pictures and entire layers of random stuff as adjustments to hue/saturation and to give more texture by putting them on top? I had perspective lines when i started but i was kind've ignoring them towards the end >.> Anyway, thanks for all of your help, i look forward to my next painting

spats - Thanks for the encouraging words

Here's some loomis for james and bendragon, and some more noodling on her face.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lloomis looking good maybe just try using more long curvy lines than little short ones .

Digital looking better but if your guna work on it more work the legs.

James

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man

thanx for pooping some props in my book mate - muchappreciated.

fedezz has pretty much nailed it with that fantastic paintover. Check how he has incorporated blue and yellow into the existing green to give it punch and depth. Loomis was the second coming of Jesus, though somehow humatity missed it. TONS to be learnt from him.

Great sketchbook, very promising and rapidly improving - keep at it dude!
    ciao!

- d.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    james - thanks. i'll confess, those were kinda rushed, i'll give you some higher-quality lines next time

demented - Thanks for dropping by! I agree - i really dig what he did with my painting. I wouldn't say quite Jesus, maybe the 2nd coming of Moses? Haha, thanks for the encouragement, i'll keep working hard.

Got a new sketchboook that fits in the scanner!! And it's toned paper. Heres some figures for you, ala fishspawn. Mostly gestures because it was the first day of class, but the last one was 30 min.

I think all my drilling on proportion has helped me a lot, i feel like i got closer without having to worry so much about it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    looking nice .. i like the page with the orange on the best

couple of crits ..just because there gestures dosnt mean you have to rush them and maybe instead of shading them in just block in the colour and do silhouettes .
    but yeh great quantity hope too see more .

keep it up james.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    james - Thanks, i like that page too. Hmm, good idea, i'll try to remember to do some silhouettes tomorrow.

Heres another speedy trying fedezz's magic. 1hr. enjoy~

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good stuff man. Your improvement just over the last two months is great. The amount you draw puts me to shame. All I can say is keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    keep working hard man you have a million sketches here. Im seeing improvements slowly but surely.

Anthony Camilo
    "Choose a job you love and you'll never have to work a day in your life" – Confucius

Sketch Book

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    looking good buddy. keep workin those textures! fedezz is on to something

Page 4 of 37 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 2