Page 3 of 85 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 53 ... LastLast

Thread: Fishspawn's Journey

Thanks
    yo
    i think you could benefit from some some contrast in your traditional drawing, and maybe try to clean up some of your lines, so they pop out more

i'm liking the colors in the last piece. pretty cool stuff. keep up with those studies! i oughta do some myself
    "You know - one loves the sunset, when one is so sad..."

.the sketchbook
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Jett - Thanks. Yeah, a lot of my drawings do look kinda flat. I'm trying to push the darks more but i guess i need to use a darker pencil.

Armor dude was a doodle that took like 2 hours. Some minor studies and the last one i have no excuse for.

Edit:There's my 15 minute paint-over for a new avatar... i was tired of my old one.
    Last edited by Fishspawn; July 11th, 2006 at 01:35 AM.

Thanks

Life-a-tron

I worked more on my royo study today but i didn't finish... so i don't get to until august. The first half hour of figure drawing tonight was 30 second poses... it was definately a good warm-up! Then some 5's, and then some 20's to finish. The one where it looks like he's kicking himself was completely unintentional >.>. I was trying to focus more on accuracy, proportions, and line quality than value this time, which is why i only got 1 shaded in.

EDIT: Some more work on the friendly forest. Trying to make it look less friendly and more foresty.
    Last edited by Fishspawn; July 12th, 2006 at 02:36 AM.

Thanks

ouch

This is one of those posts that makes you wonder why i posted it at all. The answer is daily/honesty. I didnt get much time to draw today (none actually), so i just did some quick ideas before bed. They are all based on scenes i saw today and i may take them further later, but for now i was just getting the idea down. I would still love critique on the last post... or this one i guess.

Thanks
    Hey there, it's good to be honest, especially to yourself. Gotta admit the reality of what's happening before you can advance.

The last few posts strike me as being very garish in color. Take a look outside, have a look at the plants and trees. I know we're all used to using colors symbolically, you think plants and your mind automatically thinks green.
    However if you have a look outside or even at some photos of environments you'll notice a pure green is rarely found. "Paint the color you see, not the color you think" - is a good rule of thumb.

Dailies are a great habit by the way, keep it up!
    *Tres Cute Sketch Group*
    ---no added monosodiumglutamate!!!---

Thanks
    i think your pencil peaces are really good but on your digital peaces think about the stroke before you put it donw because it seems as if you are laying them down randomly.
    james
    idelwise pirate my sketchbook

Thanks
    wow man you just keep improving and improving its awsome.

Thanks

Surprise! SSG

Cwn Anwnn - Thanks, and thanks for getting our SSG going. You're completely right about the colors. I was squinting at stuff the whole day trying to find points of contrast, and i was too fed up/tired to try and find better colors last night. I definately need to work with color from life.

Guitarjames - Thanks. Yeah, i really have no idea what i'm doing painting so half of the time i just throw stuff on and refine it later. I'm studying real painting right now but its a 1.5 hour a week class so its taking some time, but i'll try and translate what i learn to digital. Time to be more careful and act like i know what i'm doing!

Sweetoblivion314 - Thanks, i appriciate it.

I got the chance to draw some more horses today. It was kind've awkward because there were a bunch of people watching me draw... All but the last two were done in charcoal 5-15 minutes, and the last two were ball point pen. Last there are some pictures of the horses so you can see what i was working from.

Here are my morning doodles. They started out drowsy and fast but as i woke up/warmed up i took longer on them and they turned into studies by the time i got home. Trying to work on those silly female shoulders. These are mostly reffed from civardi's Drawing the Human Body.

Hmm, another chronologically backwards post.

Thanks
    No probs at all Fishspawn.

Good to see the horse studies. (Yeah I know, I'm animal biased but hehe.)
    It's heartening to see you doing quick studies of the horses and not fussing over an image too much. The first few charcoal ones have weird leg joints happening but by the time you got to the pen you had sorted it out. Just some proportionality issues left but it's already a great improvement.

Neat human anatomy studies too. Keep at it. You're doing a good amount of work.
    *Tres Cute Sketch Group*
    ---no added monosodiumglutamate!!!---

Thanks
    wow large update which is good,i can see the horse sketches geting beeter as they go along which is cool, my favrouite is the charcol that is not rendered.keep it up
    james

Thanks
    Your humans are getting better and better. The horses are nice too, i like the charcoal outlines and penn ones. It shows you can see how the anatomy of the horse goes. But it seems like you lost that when you drew the dark shaded in horses. Im not sure what you did there but it doesnt seem right.

Thanks

Pasadisneynaland

Cwn Annwn - Thanks. I had fun doing them

guitarjames - Glad you like it, i'll try and carry that feel into my rendered ones.

sweetoblivion314 - Yeah i agree, i chose charcoal because it is fast but i was trying to render with little erasing and i wasn't thinking about what i was doing. I should have focused less on value and more on energy. ~Thanks.

Here are some more shoulder studies, i still have problems with those silly shoulders every time. Again i was waking up and the later ones are later in the day. The horse is just ugh. I was going to go into it but i lost my drive and rushed - it doesn't even have the right number of ribs. By rushed i mean the amount of time i considered a study to take a few weeks ago. I GUESS you could critique it but its not worth your time - the shoulders are much more finished and need helpings of beans or lotion or something.

On another note I'm going to be taking a week long class at Art Center College of Design in Pasadena next week. I'll be leaving tomorrow and i get to go to disneyland over the weekend, so posts may be tiny . I should get plenty of drawing done, however, and i believe i will have means to post it. If not, look forward to a colossal post after my class...

Thanks
    good update espeacilly the arms the only thing that lets them down is the hands so practice them and also try and do two hands interacting with eachother.
    james

Page 3 of 85 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 53 ... LastLast