Page 37 of 74 FirstFirst ... 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    very nice sketch though not sure what her left arm/hand is suppose to be though.

Sketchbook :: Blog

Trying is the first step towards failure.

Homer Simpson, The Simpsons

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Let me be frank, i do not like this....at all. I think you need to learn a few techniques in monster drawing, look some of H.R. Giger's work he can draw some pretty freaky and surreal things. I know you kinda just did this for yourself. Really what makes an artist successful is the ability to draw things that everyone will like otherwise they dont make enough money to live. I think you need to take a look at what styles of art are successful right now, and start doing more fanart. Ive found that fanart helps one learn the subtleties of popular styles and ideas.

Thanks
    hey ,
    Looking good, maybe try and use some refrence and it might look better if both wings were the same.
    keep it up .james
    idelwise pirate my sketchbook

Thanks
    Hey Wes, I like some of the ideas in the latest update. However while arvalis is right about the money bit, I still think that as an artist you should draw what makes YOU happy first and foremost. It's good to know what is popular right now, but don't dwell into something you hate drawing - it will show in your work.

So maybe do some copies of art works that you really love? I do this quite frequently, it helps me to understand what specifically I like about the art and also comes back in the end into my work.

Anyway keep updating!

Thanks
    oldnoobie - thanks, was supposed to be a crab claw with tentacles...

arvalis - i see where you're coming from, but i also believe that mastering the fundamentals is important, and i'm trying to get rid of a lot of bad habits i've formed over the years copying from other modern artists, which is why i have been avoiding it lately, although i'm planning on doing something of the sort soon

guitarjames - thanks for the input but i dont think i'll work on that one anymore, i agree though, the different wings is a bit cliche

rayk - thanks, thats actually one of the reasons i've been doing anatomy from civardi - i love his style of drawing the figure, its just not commercial art like arvalis wants me to do (understandably)

Ok, i took a day off yesterday, for some reason i have been burned out this week. I think i'm overworking trying to improve a whole lot, and neglecting some other parts of my life that are also important. I think part of the reason for this is because of what arvalis and rayk were talking about, sort of. I usually try to please everyone, which is quite taxing on a site like this where i often get contradicting advice from different people. Basically, i just think i have been worrying too much about what others want me to draw lately instead of what i want to draw.

So, i think for a little while i'm just going to draw whatever i want to, so don't be offended if i ignore some advice. I'm not saying stop giving me critique, i just don't know if i have a healthy pattern of following it right now. One of the reasons i have done so many studies of anatomy lately is because i'm really tired of how i draw faces, and i really want to fix that problem so that i like how i draw them. I dunno, i guess i was trying really hard to please colleges for a long time and then when that was over i switched to trying to please my friends.

Eh, sorry for the rant, guess i'm still just trying to figure this art thing out Here's some (horrible) school doodles and a refined angel paint. Going to be helping my brother move this weekend so i will be AWOL for a few days, have fun~

Oh, and yay, i made it to page 10

Thanks
    I think you need to lighten up on your pencil a little more. It looks to me like you're committing to hard lines too early. Practice multiple passes for your line art. Anything worth doing is worth doing twice

Something to keep in mind about fanart: it's a great way to learn differant visual styles BUT it's something you really DO NOT WANT to put in your job portfolios unless it's ABSOLUTELY STELLER.

Thanks
    great shine on the chest armor of the angel piece

Thanks
    hey,
    Like the angel piece but the thighs seem little to thin and maybe it would be stronger if all of the wings were showing.
    keep it up .james
    idelwise pirate my sketchbook

Thanks
    Hey fish, this one's a hug improvement http://conceptart.org/forums/attachm...1&d=1174620097
    The balance is right and you're not doing the exaggerated anatomy thing. If you throw some perspective lines along the feet and shoulders of the angel, you'll notice that the hip armor is out of perspective. You have the hips shown straight from the front rather than 3/4. Or the characters right hip plate is bigger and shaped differently from the left. The higlights in the leg with the shadow are too bright. stuff in shadow doesn't have as bright highlights as highlights undre direct light. Throwing a low opacity brush stroke over the top would tone it down a bit and you wouldn't have to really redo anything. Yeah, don't worry about following my advice, you're the ultimate judge of your work. Hope the burnout ends.
    S S G 2 9
    -Fishspawn-Blue Severin- rayk-

You're an artist, not a meat camera. -Elwell

Thanks
    machineabuse - thanks, i have recently been noticing my furious pencil as well, gotta lighten up. Thanks for the advice.

oldnoobie - thank you

guitarjames - thanks, agree about the legs and i was going to put the whole wings but i was too lazy to make them look good so i cut them off, maybe further along on this one i can fix that.

blue severin - thanks, i was already planning on doing a lot to the legs i just didn't know where to go, will definately fix that perspective problem. I have actually already toned down that side a lot but i guess it wasn't enough My monitor is kind of weird with brightness...

General update: I was not accepted into CalArts, so i will definitely be attending Laguna College of Art and Design this fall in the animation program - glad to not have to make that choice I'm currently focusing a lot on reworking my use of media, especially pencil, and learning watercolor. I think I'm also going to shift a little more towards animals and vehicles for a while.

I know some of that was in the last post but i wanted to just copy/paste it to my first post on page 1. School doodles today. Girls face was from my head, going for proportion and accuracy of features. Found the plane in a textbook and copied it. I think it would be fun to shift a little away from people for a while to ease my tension drawing them, so expect more vehicles.

Oh, and i guess i have stars now. Thanks

Thanks
    Here are some vehicle doodles from school today, all from my head to try out different ways of constructing cars and planes. Tried one, two and three point perspective grids, cube carving, and just drawing without a guide. Studies will come soon, just having a really busy month.

Thanks
    A little more work on this. Painted over the legs and redid the composition/wings.

Thanks
    your darks were dark enough in the leg, there's too much value contrast in it. The light parts just needed to be darker. Check out some of the artwork where the rear leg has no detail but is just a flat shape, there's a lot of it in the forums. I'll give you a paintover if you want it.
    S S G 2 9
    -Fishspawn-Blue Severin- rayk-

You're an artist, not a meat camera. -Elwell

Thanks
    looking good so far need to darken the shadows to his right leg (our left) and the light parts on the other legs needs to be darken some too.

Thanks
    thanks Blue Severin and Oldnoobie - heres a little more work. The idea was that there's less visible detail in the shadowed area right? Also put the alternate light source back in and changed some details on the armor. If i still got it horribly wrong i'd like to see that paintover

EDIT: made the helmet cooler.
    Last edited by Fishspawn; March 28th, 2007 at 03:30 PM.

Page 37 of 74 FirstFirst ... 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 ... LastLast