Page 31 of 85 FirstFirst ... 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 81 ... LastLast

Thread: Fishspawn's Journey

Thanks
    Hey fish, it's good to have you back! My crit for these sketches: try to avoid closing shapes in the "()" fashion, like this:
    Attachment 70415
    (img courtesy of Rebecca Kimmel.)

Cheers and have a happy new year man!

PS: did you visit the "It's a Small World" (or something like that) ride at Disney? Damn it freaked me out
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    did a good job on the girl on this page
    http://conceptart.org/forums/attachm...1&d=1167545987

good to hear you had fun at disneyland and your feeling out of the slump

Sketchbook :: Blog

Trying is the first step towards failure.

Homer Simpson, The Simpsons

Thanks
    TomCardin - thanks for the c+c

fedezz - thanks, i keep trying to do that but then i get the "draw with structure!" speeches, gotta figure out what I'm doing wrong... yeah "it's a small world" is kinda freaky O_O;

oldnoobie - thanks for stopping by

Well, i dont really like either of these things, although i spent lots of time and effort on both. About an hour in the sketch of the dude, was trying to tell some kind of story and get the pose/rendering accurate on the figure... on the portrait i didn't use any kind of ref and i was trying to get it to look like myself... i failed miserably. 3 hours total i think.... Oh well

Happy new year everybody, i look forward to drawing with you all through 2007!

Thanks
    hey,
    With the sp try not to not use ref ,also on digis i find it easier to use big brush and paint in the values rather than draw the lines because the tablets are slippery and hard to get nice lines on.The guy is looking good but the out streched arm makes him look flyswated. Try and give it some more flow and then render it and it will be cool.

keep it up .james
    idelwise pirate my sketchbook

Thanks
    thanks james

internet super slow tonight so lame post w/life drawings of my enormous feet. bye

edit: well i didnt want to draw anything so i went into photoshop and started drawing in random stuff - faces, poses, etc, and when i couldn't tell what i was looking at anymore i would switch to the opposite color. I did this for quite some time until eventually i felt like making something out of it so i started to put junk down, fine tuning it little by little until i had something, and then i worked on that for a while, really loose and changing a lot of stuff without really any plan. I like how it turned out. I think total it was about 2 hours, i wasnt really paying attention though.
    Last edited by Fishspawn; January 2nd, 2007 at 03:50 AM.

Thanks
    I like the forest feel, my absolute favorite colors for a background are greens, so kudos. I also like the hanging vine things a lot. What i want to see from you is more colored faces, i really like that psuedo self portrait you did. Mitchell seems to have faith in your ability to draw faces, though this is not so with me. Work on some character portraits for our characters maybe, i want to know how itll turn out.
    Last edited by arvalis; January 2nd, 2007 at 08:09 AM.

Thanks
    arvalis - thanks for the kudos, i'll see what i can do. Generally i get bored with color on characters and detail on enviros.... both areas i just need to focus on until i'm comfortable and both things i'm putting off for no good reason

2 weeks since last lifedrawing session!? This lady had the longest torso i've ever seen.

Thanks
    hey ,
    think you could push the depth more on the enviro and the gesture life drawings are looking as if they have no bones again.If you find you get bored doing details just do a little everyday and keep moving around the page so you dont get bored of doing the same bit.Keep thinking what the whole image looks like and focus what your trying to acheive.

keep it up .james

Thanks
    guitarjames - thanks for the input

morning doodles from today and yesterday.

Thanks
    Alright man, I'm going to give you the crit we've been giving James forever. Spend some time on these, quick is fine, but spend some time and get stuff right, it'll help you get better faster. Do some fully developed illustrations, pencil or digital, doesn't matter. I like these life drawings: http://conceptart.org/forums/attachm...1&d=1167811876
    http://conceptart.org/forums/attachm...1&d=1167811886
    S S G 2 9
    -Fishspawn-Blue Severin- rayk-

You're an artist, not a meat camera. -Elwell

Thanks
    I'm diggin the faces on the last post.
    I'm with Severin here. Never forget that you do this because you love it and 'cause it's fun as hell. Otherwise you'll end up as skillful as hell, but with nothing to say with those skills.
    Keep it up.

Thanks
    hey,
    Like i said before try and do one good face instead of lots of liitle ones slow down and take your time.Try and take up the whole page with one thing maybe that will make you take longer ,or take one of the faces you like and redo it taking longer maybe give it a body.Try picking up some difrent medium havent seen much paint in here.

keep it up .james.

Thanks

Recruiting all critics!

Sorry for the lack of updating, i was having one last relaxing hurrah before school/college apps take over my life. Okami is one of the best games i've ever played.

Blue Severin - thanks, see below

fedezz - yeah, gotta remember to have funpld:

guitarjames - thanks

Ok, so i'm tired of thinking stuff is finished and hearing from lots of people to finish stuff more often, so I'm going to mix things up a little. I'm going to work on one piece digitally and I want you guys to tell me when i'm done! I will keep working on it until i get the OK from at least four ssg members. You guys give me whatever crits you want - composition, values, textures, perspective, stupid idea, whatever, i'll take it and apply it to this painting. Give me ideas for where to go next at any given point in the process.

Give me "duh" crits and give me crits that i won't understand for years, I want to tackle my laziness full force and start producing some high-caliber artwork. I think it will be a great project, but i need you guys to participate - I'm mostly talking to my SSGers that are always telling me this, but anyone can participate. If this works well i'll keep doing them like this until i know how to sit down and finish something.

That said, heres some background on the piece so far. I'm going for a dark temple, early morning sky peeking through the cracked roof. I want the temple to fade into shadows wherever possible. Visibly there's a long road leading to a sacrificial altar in the middle of a pool of water, where the head of the leviathan lays on a rocky shelf (his body is massive and continues down into the water beyond our field of vision. A mysterious figure stands at the altar, performing his ritual, while another figure watches from afar (close to the viewer's position). In general i want the temple to look old and breaking, while the majestical leviathan lays as a fallen diety.

1.5 Hours so far - figuring all that stuff out and i started detailing the leviathan. Actual size is 3000 x 2000 px Crit this baby up, I look forward to finishing it. Oh, and I promise to have fun
    Last edited by Fishspawn; January 8th, 2007 at 03:16 AM.

Page 31 of 85 FirstFirst ... 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 81 ... LastLast