Sketchbook: Fishspawn's Journey - Page 3

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 3 of 37 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Saikin - Thanks.

Sweetoblivion314 - Hmm, i've never noticed that, its kinda weird. I'll definately work on it.

guitarjames - i completely agree with you. But thinking that and doing it is a different story :/ I'm working on it.

I did draw all week, but not very much, and it wasn't very focused. I'm trying to get back in practice... its tough. Heres a sketch page from today, with no ref, and re-works of some of those old gesture paintings i did in PS.

Attached Images Attached Images      
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Keep at it and it'll work itself out...I did the same thing but I also ran through like 4 pages in one day with random sketches...Just let the medium flow and you'll get back in the habit..I can feel my powers resurging already lol

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Saikin - Thanks for the encouragement

Started another workshop today. This one's still focused on people but it's only 3 hours a day and i don't know if there will be live models or not (it's kind've aimed at younger kids). Anyway, these were about 45 minutes apiece. I'm learning that pushing the contrast really helps define 3-dimensionality if done right, but that linework is equally important.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Fantastic head studies. Not much more I can say lol

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Saikin.

10 minutes each. 20 minutes. 20-30 minutes each on that last page. I think i've discovered it takes me about an hour and a half to warm up. (these are backwards chronologically... why do i do this?)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Pastels, graphite and crayola markers.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really likr the head studies. The rendering is pretty good. The second batch is cool. Poses are cool and the coloring is lively. Did you use refs for the girl's head?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Saikin - Thanks. Yes, these are reffed from photos of models.

More value studies with markers. I tried to do some values in PS over one of those figures, but i didn't do a very good job - i need some advice to better my skin rendering in PS.

Finally, here is the almost-finished royo study - 9 hours. It's oil paints over an acrylic underpainting. Crits needed!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice, man. Stuff keeps getting better. For you pastels, crayola markers, and graphite, remember that value is way more important than color. These look really flat because all the colors are midtones. For the marker face on the upper left of this last post, the eyes are different levels. Also, if you're going to use markers, realize that you can get different values from the same color simply by going over an area again, this will help you get gradations instead of flat areas of shading. I like the Royo study, but I'd need to see the original to give you any meaningful crits. Keep it up man.

S S G 2 9
    -Fishspawn-Blue Severin- rayk-

You're an artist, not a meat camera. -Elwell

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Blue Severin - Thanks a lot for the crits! I needed to hear them. I'll see if i can find an online pic of that painting. EDIT: It's Jose Royo, and the painting i studied is impossible to find on the internet :/. I'll probably do another one though so i will do one i can find.

As requested, here are some longer self portraits. Both of them took about 3 hours. Then i got sick of them and went to 3 minute ones in marker. Last is the finished Royo study - 10 hours.

Last edited by Fishspawn; August 6th, 2006 at 12:32 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Damn, huuge improvements! That oil study is top notch. a small crit: some of the heads look somehow skewed. Mind the placement of the features (Blue Severin mentioned something similar). Also, you're chopping some of your portraits's skulls. This is very noticeable in those last ones done with a marker. They need more volume in the back of their heads.
    Cheers!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome progress Fishspawn!

It's great to see, I like the oil study. It still looks like you're strugglinga bit with limbs though. Maybe try a few arm/hand and leg/foot studies just so you know where bits connect.

*Tres Cute Sketch Group*
    ---no added monosodiumglutamate!!!---

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for checking out my sketchbook. I think more then anything I'm impressed by the rate of which you're cranking this work out. I wish I had the time to draw with this kind of frequency, but I don't want to push myself to the point of where it's not fun. What I was most impressed with was your freedom of color usage on relatively simple sketches. I don't really let myself get free enough like that to just swap out my media at a whim. Looking forward to more!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Fedezz - Thanks. I've been noticing that too whenever i do measurements, but i can't seem to correct myself effectively. ~i'll keep working at it

Cwn Anwnn - Thank ye. Definately. There are some limbs in today's post - how's that for fast response?

Tigahstyle - My pleasure! I find that drawing is a self-feeding desire. The longer i draw, the more fun i have and the more i want to draw. Its only been these past few months when i've really had lots of time but i've discovered the more i do it the more fun it is! I didn't like using color like that at first either, but i was willing to try it, and after a few hours i was having a blast.

Sorry for the bad quality in the scans - my current sketchbook doesn't fit well on my scanner. I'm working a lot on value right now as well as thinking my line before i draw it. Also of course proportion and anatomy. It was fun to get back to ballpoint pen - i think it's my favorite medium. Haven't had much time to draw in the last couple of days so there are a lot of doodles. Will try to get something finished tomorrow.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Vacaciones son divertidos

Going on another vacation. Once again i hope to update via laptop but i don't think it will be daily. Heres some life drawing for you.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello,

I'm not sure how long your models hold their poses, but try to be as precise as possible, even if you are consciously rushing. If you don't have it already, "The Complete Guide to Figure Drawing" by Anthony Ryder will help you out a bunch with figure drawing. Please buy that, and pay particular attention to the sections on boxing in the figure, creating envelopes, proportion, and identifying the terminator of shadows. Let me know what you think of that book, I'm sure you'll find it useful!

~ Stephen

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Vacationy

darkwolfb87 - Thanks for the input. Those were 10-20 minute poses. I'll be sure to check out that book, drawing books are my weakness >.>.

Here are some ball-point pen vacation doodles for you. The butts are reffed from civardi and some of the bodies are from life, but most are doodles. Just trying to do poses and angles from memory.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Kick ass update! You do so much work, it's inspiring, really. Keep it up and you'll be awesome in no time. Love checkin out your SB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    opps :s soory i havent been comenting , i didnt realise you were on page 2 , silly me , well your faces are really improving and those head studies at the top are really looking good , do some more studies like that , take a long time on them and try to understand what you are drawing.keep on updating.
    james

idelwise pirate my sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Saikin - Thanks It's good to know people other than me are looking through here.

guitarjames - Hehe thats alright. It took me a while to realize you were on page 2 as well. I will go back to longer studies as soon as i get back home, although on average my doodles are taking about 2-4 times as long as they used to, so i'm learning more there.

Doodles galore. I have way more than this. All of the animals are from ref except the second page of elephants and the second page with cats. The rest be doodlin. One more week of vacation!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice animals , cars and enviroments, watch the people though , some of them dont have a center of gravity and some of the proportions are off.
    james.

Last edited by guitarjames; August 17th, 2006 at 03:04 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man, those life studies done in charcoal are terrific, you're really getting good at that stuff My only advice for those, and for the rest of your figures as well, is that you pay attention to your feet. Right now they're kinda big and "froglike" (crap, couldn't find a better term, hope you know what I mean). I've also noticed that you try to avoid them (leaving them unfinished). I tend to do that too (and with ears as well ).
    Keep it up, all that practice is paying off.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    james and fed have covered the figures, so my advice would be on enviro's! Hmm, not much I can really make out there, but they look very flattish.

I'd love to see more from life drawings of places/landscapes. Mountains are good to start out with, but ultimately there are more a background element in environments (unless it's the focus of the work), you need to put focus on drawing mid ground and fore ground stuff, even boxes in perspective are good!

You can make it fun by starting out with simple box compositions and then carving those out by piling more boxes, cylinders and cones in. Ultimately that's what an environment is, a whole series of box, cone and cylinder shapes ! Hope that helps, I'm not really good with writing.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The animals are great. pictures are still fuzzy but I can deal. The life studies are nice also. The lines show alot of confidence and that is going to make you better. Keep at it

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    good work fishspawn- i always dig life drawings. your peeps are looking a little to curvey though. remember to start out with basic shapes first, then details. i would draw simple straight lines (no curves) for the contours first. then go over those lines with some more exact straight lines.maybe get some oven more exact lines after that. then throw in the curves. there's some really good tutorials on life drawing around here. there's one by E.M. Gist in the Fine Arts section and there's a couple by Ron Lemens that you can find here http://www.creativespotlite.com/drawing-lessons.htm

keep up the hard work- it'll payoff in no time

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Back from Vacation!

guitarjames - Thanks. Yeah, i have that problem, i'll work on it.

fedezz - Thanks amigo. Entiendo completamente. There are some feet in this update and i will continue to work on it.

rayk - Hmm. Yeah. I should work on my other enviro elements. I mainly drew lots of mountains because we were driving around through them and i could do blind contours while we went. But i will definately work on other stuff in perspective, thanks for the advice.

saikin - Thanks, its good to hear complements from you guys

sith - thanks! I will think more in terms of straight edges next time i do some life drawing, and those tutorials are sweet.

Whew, back from vacation. I saw some beautiful sites and had lots of relaxing time. Here are some pages from the last week, mostly the car drive home. Some are from books, some from memory, and some i don't know where they came from >.>; Sorry for the bad quality, this sketchbook doesnt fit in my scanner. The still life was one-hourish.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Whew, long update. I like the feet you did. AS I went down, showed progress and better lines. Your sketches are quick and sloppy but they achieve what they are going for. For you feet, try an extended sketch and see where you are then. Try to go for -5 lines when you sketch them to make sure that you are cutting down on lines that it takes you to achieve the proper form. Also, try sharpening your medium so that your lines are clearer than they are now.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    that took it's time to load ...the feet show great improvmentthe figuers seem better but still a little of..http://www.fineart.sk/index.php?cat=1
    dpnt know if you ha ve that site but it has loomis on it and click figure drawing link , should help .

Faces vary but on the worst ones i think it somthing to do with the forehead looks like it sloping back too much, so watch that.

Moving on to the last drawing looks good , nice values,but the bottle has perspective issues....if you can see the top (cork) then you wouldnt be able to see the bottom , vice versa..
    keep it up
    james!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hi fishspawn, I love the last still life a lot. The other drawings are a little bit flat to me. And for the anatomy studies, be careful of these studies, don't try to do them as pattens, always think in 3 dimention and draw what you understand not what you see on the print. The shadings don't count as much as we thought as the lines sometimes are sufficient enough to describe the form even with out a signle shade.

sketchbook - me book here on last page
    opaquette backup - me humble hut for B-Sides and A-Sides dump
    SoFA - bone doc's lair. great place to learn figure drawing and anatomy

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Saikin - Thanks. I'll try to neaten up some of my sketching and use less lines.

guitarjames - Thanks. I agree about the forehead thing- i hadn't noticed that. I'll work on that. The bottom of the bottle was visible through the glass but i guess that didn't come out well in the way i rendered it. Need to work on some still lifes.

isair - Thanks. I will definately try to think more around the form from now on.

Not much time to draw today, and scanning out of this sketchbook is a pain, so heres a samurai elephant for you - 30 mins.

Page 3 of 37 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.