Sketchbook: Fishspawn's Journey - Page 18

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 18 of 37 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    guitarjames - thanks, yeah my proportions got a little sloppy last time, will work on that

bendragon - thanks, anatomy is a lifelong pursuit

rayk - thanks, more leviathan soon

New angel concepts, going a different direction. Crit them up. (This is chronological, so mainly the last few)

Attached Images Attached Images        
    Last edited by Fishspawn; March 8th, 2007 at 07:11 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    More WRP. I'm going to keep working on my digital stuff but i feel like lately i've been neglecting the traditional stuff. Not having any classes makes it more difficult. At any rate, I am going to be doing lots of anatomy / studies for a little while. Will work on finishing up that leviathan this weekend.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man, nice SB you have here.

You're quite prolific when it comes to anatomy studies, and it's awsome how you seem to focus on individual body parts... i.e. the nose, ears, etc. Remember that you're shouldnt just blindly copy your studies and not learn anything from them. Say, if you draw a mean ear from a nice angle, re-draw that ear attached to someone's head or something.

Be careful when drawing eyes. They're soul holes afterall, gotta take some care when drawing them

Other than thar, great work & great progress! Keep it up!

As the pattern gets more intricate and subtle being swept along is no longer enough.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man, you cranking those updates out like no tomorrow!!! Well done . One thing with the angles, they don't really feel connected together (as in body structure). I'd try a few gesture thumbs with them to find maybe a more working pose?

Well keep it up (damn I got uni, can't compete too well with the amount of updates).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    some good stuff going on here, I love the angel with the guns! work on your pencil values though, try to get some darks in there! dont be worried about ruining a sketch by going too black in an area because its just a sketch after all!

cheers!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    bunny - thanks for the tips, going to keep working hard on faces, especially the eyes

rayk - thanks, those were mainly just for thinking of the armor etc, but i should work on proportions etc some more

archipelago - thanks, will do

More work on this. Remember i'm still waiting for you guys to tell me i'm done!

Edit: fixed the pillars on the left.

Last edited by Fishspawn; March 10th, 2007 at 04:04 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okay, that's looking better! Now you seemed to have a better scale happening in the piece, I would probably add a few repeating shapes to help stitch the background to the foreground a little bit (careful not to over do it as it might bring it back to how it was before). Maybe stick a couple of pillars in the water?

Anyway it's looking more solid. Keep it up.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    looking good the only other thing I can see that needs a little attention is the foreground (the part that looks like stairs), the edge where it ends and where the water can be seen needs to be sharpened so it looks like it is under the water but over it. Hope I am not too confusing

Sketchbook :: Blog

Trying is the first step towards failure.

Homer Simpson, The Simpsons

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    rayk and oldnoobie - thanks, tried to incorporate your ideas

Sorry for the lack of updates over the weekend, came down with a cold and didn't do much of anything. Heres some doodles (all unreffed) and a small update on the leviathan, i don't think i did that right but i tried.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm such a noob with watercolor.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ah! Leviathan is looking better ! You might want to move that guy around a bit, as he is loosing focus in the comp. Also the top hole needs to be fixed a little, to me the far side (with grass and stuff) looks closer to us then the other side. You probably should make the side closer to us more contrasty and whack the other one back a bit (like with atmosphere).

And wow! Enviros and water colour . First with the sketches, they feel a bit shaky - are you drawing from your elbow or wrist? Every enviro (even interior) is a landscape, so no matter how rigid it is there must be a solid plane present. Remember work from big to small, so land mass before objects.

With water colour, it's looking a bit dry in the first one and maybe too watery in second. I'd recommend getting 220gsm or higher paper and a size 16 squirrel brush (shouldn't be too expensive). I'm a noob with water too, but I found a good brush definitely helps to manage the water.

Keep up the updates

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    rayk - thanks, i see what you mean about the digi, i was drawing from my arm when i thought about it, but i think i was rushing into detail too quick, need to work the big picture first, Was using a stupid brush that came with my watercolor set, will use better next time

For some reason i have this habit now where whenever i draw from life i only want to do semi-blind contour... need to get that fixed...

So here are about 50 semi-blind contour hands, all done in a minute or less. I'm angry at drawing today. Whenever i get upset with drawing i want to draw fast. Oh, and some more failed attempts at digifying things that happened beforehand.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some self portraits and feet and other junk. I hate drawing teeth.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hmm seems like I missed quite a bit of stuff.

I think if you give a little warmth along the edge of the opening closest to the viewer, it might bring that edge closer twoard the viewer.

I like those hand gestures has the feeling of form and bulk without it being rendered. good work

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    oldnoobie - thanks for stopping by

Another drawing i painted for a while. Still feeling out of it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Wes,

Good job on frequent updates! It's pretty much just us two with daily updates now days... I love those hand studies, they look really great. And your dabbing with digital more often now aswell.

With digital, I think you should try some paint studies (Idiot Apathy's suggestion to me) - try finding a b&w photo and doing a copy - focus on values and details. Make sure you use your eye to do the value mathing though! It will probably help you with your painting skills.

And with your pencils, I like you line art in general but it would be interesting if you tried some new pencilling styles. I've been studying wesburts work and picked up a few things that seemed to stick with me too. Don't know, can be fun, refreshing and educational !

Anyway keep up the updates, we gotta keep our daily update habits up!

p.s you name is wes right? Just calling you fishspawn all the time feels weird XD.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    rayk - Thanks, i have done some photo studies but i always hate them and give up and never post them... guess i've gotta push through it. I agree about the pencils, thats one reason why i've started watercolor - feels like i've been getting into habits lately, time to shake things up and get out of my comfort zone.

Used a better brush this time. First one i overworked - tried to add atmospheric perspective on the right and instead it just bled all of the colors together. Second one i overcorrected and i think theres too much open space. Completely re-worked the knight and did a lot of messing around with the opening in the top.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Everytime I revisit you've got like 60 new pieces. You're insane. I'm going to start keeping pace with you pal. =P

"Even a stopped clock, gets the right time twice a day."
    >>My Sketchbook<<
    >>My Homepage<<

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    looking better maybe a little more warmth along that edge of the opening closest to the viewer and I think the figure would look better if it was near the corner of what looks like the top step of stairs.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hyptosis - Heh, thats just because i do 60 in the time it should take me to do 5, thanks for dropping by

oldnoobie - alright, thanks for the input.

update on this one, grr i hate refining things.

EDIT: and this one - moved the figure again and messed around more with colors/lighting for the hole.

Last edited by Fishspawn; March 16th, 2007 at 02:43 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Stopping by again... You've done a lot since last I checked. The conte figures are nice, good action to them. You're practicing a TON more than me. Thats a shit-load of hands man, haha. And the cool thing is they look great! I'm trying to find time every day to just sit back and draw for awhile. Your WIP has a lot of potential, I like the attention to detail in his armor. But I think you are using too many chromatic hues, throw some neutrals in there to give the viewer's eye a place to rest. And you don't have to use local colors.(Like... the sky is blue, the tree is brown, the grass is green.) You can do some crazy things like a golden sky and have blue-violet shadows. Just have some fun with it. Again, great stuff!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    havensk - Thanks for stopping by can't find time to draw - gotta make it happen. Don't really get what you mean about the neutrals - i have lots of desaturated hues in there... Trying to get the real colors right before i switch em up.

Another watercolor, more hands - this time from the mirror so it was kind of new. Some feet and some SPs. Total all of this was probably 2 hours.

Its hard to draw yourself while you're covering one eye... kind of dizzying but kind of fun.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the Leviathan looks good and good job on the hand, feet and sp studies

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey,
    Digi is looking good try using some refrence for the dragon maybe a goat skull ,good to see paints try bringing in a bit more detail just to keep the eye intrested.Id also like to see you spend a long time on a sp.
    keep it up .james

idelwise pirate my sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice updates, I'm liking the hands and sp's! Also leviathan is looking better, you probably need to to tighten up the painting style to make it look a tad more solid (I'd use a palette knife to get some solids going).

Keep it up

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oldnoobie - thanks

guitarjames - used some ref for this step ~long sp on the way

rayk - thanks, used the sharpen filter on it, let me know how it worked.

Trying to rework my pencil style so it's different from my ballpoint-pen style with some studies from civardi. Going for a lighter, softer approach. And more junk on the leviathan. Yes, he's supposed to be dead, and yes, those are waterfalls.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It looks like your losing a bit of your mouth structure in your 3/4 heads. Easy to correct in digital but on paper you might want to revisit dropping a centerline down the face and/or finding the cleft beneath the nose as a guide.

A little more time and care valuing in your sketches with differant hatching/shading techniques will help you get a better read on the volumes you are describing.

Keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Machineabuse - thanks for checking out my book. i agree, mouth structure is probably the weakest part of my faces, working on it. Trying to learn to think in value now as well as contour

These don't read very well scanned, but there is shading in them :/ Apparently it takes a lot longer when i work like this, so all of you that scream at me for that can rest in peace for a while Some school doodles and three more civardi heads - 1st one was from yesterday so i dont remember time, but the 2nd two took 30 mins and 15 mins respectively. If anyone has tips on how to draw lips that dont look stupid let me know. Noses are also giving me a little trouble, but less. Eh, i guess just whole faces are

More watercolor too, i guess i need to wait for things to try before i keep painting sometimes.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey wes, I'm with shakken on some pencil cross hatching - will bring you pencils more alive too.

Water colour is getting better, but it looks very washed out and colour intensity is weak. I'm not sure exactly how you working, but I usually work by layering colour - do a wash and wait for it to semi dry and then go with another colour on top.

Leviathan with sharpen filter looks better. Leviathan is a bit hard to read himself - he blends into the island (not sure if intentional).

Well, keep up the updates , doing great!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    rayk - thanks, i will try your watercolor method, it is kind of intentional because the temple is supposed to be built around it...

Been trying to figure out lately what mentler said about my subconsious - i think i've got it. I think its anything that i would normally refrain from drawing because it might cause a weird reaction from people... Anyway, heres a 2 hr drawing from this morning, kind of inspired by some sbs i've been looking through that have lots of monster/people combos. Took my time on it. Made it a little darker in PS so you could see what is going on - this sketchbook does not scan well.

Page 18 of 37 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.