Sketchbook: Fishspawn's Journey - Page 12
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 12 of 37 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast

Thread: Fishspawn's Journey

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A little more

Edit: Went back to an older version and did more work from that point.

Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by Fishspawn; November 25th, 2006 at 03:42 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey,
    Think you should put some more time into the water Because it looks a bit scribbly.Then i would call it finished.

keep it up .james.

idelwise pirate my sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey fish!

Good enviro! I think a few hints on the mountain would help punch it up a bit. Also don't forget clouds can be a great tool to push the perspective in enviros. Portfolio looking good too.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Man, I'm away for a couple of days and everyone's pulling amazing pieces!
    Seriously, so much new and cool stuff since I last showed up here. Your traditional pieces are doing great. As for your digis, I think you could benefit from using a more opaque brush, that'll force you to pick the right color and value beforehand, instead of relying on laying layer after layer of transparency to get there. That's specially noticeable in the difference between how you render volume in your charcoal pieces and how you did that in the feet study. Just a thought.
    Some more in depth crits and comments later.
    See ya, and good luck with that portfolio.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    guitarjames - Thanks, did that

rayk - thanks, attempted to do that

fedezz - thanks. Everyone keeps telling me that. Actually with the feet i DID start using only opaque brushes, and only at the end did i use some airbrushes to blend a little. Thats the problem with my digis, i can't figure out how to blend without making it look pasty. Recently i've just been using hard round brushes with pressure sensitive opacity so it's like drawing with a mech. pencil. I guess i'm just not very comfortable with drawing digitally yet :/

Okay, i basically started over and eventually worked some of the original back in through layers. Not going to work on this one anymore. This was another 5 hours at least - on top of the 6 hours i had already spent. I did get a cool book of enviro photos today so maybe i can do some reffed quickies now.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Fishspawn,
    Thanks for your gracious words! What I like about these forums is that artists help each other out. Knowledge is most valuable. If my experience can help someone understand a concept sooner, or even give someone a little more confidence, I'm most happy to oblige. I'm glad my blurbs were useful to you.
    Wanted to say that the tonal studies are well done. The first group in your thread, especially the drapery study, are very nice and thought through. One book recommended to me is Bridgemans "Drawing the Draped Figure". It breaks down the reason for folds and weight etc. Can see your great studies on Bridgeman are paying off. Animal studies are nice, too.
    On short poses, would recommend finding that longest gesture line to build off of. Use big sweeps off the page if you have to. This will help to unify your figures. Keep doing what you're doing!

Figure's 'n' Stuff SketchBook

Charcoal Paintings

BLOG!

"Just because something doesn't do what you planned it to do doesn't mean it's useless."-Thomas A. Edison

"Convention is craft. Invention is art. In art, knowledge assists invention"-John E. Carlsson

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    great work on the figure drawings though it seems like you are having trouble with the hands and feet, I hate drawing feet too. Keep working on them, they will come.

Sketchbook :: Blog

Trying is the first step towards failure.

Homer Simpson, The Simpsons

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey fish, been meaning to do a paint over for a while so today I did!

Basically this is just my interpretation of your enviro. Umm basically with a few small changed you can really push the perspective in enviros. Things such as curved clouds, repeating shapes (those flying things) and atmospheric perspective. Also I don't think the water should have such a huge reflection if that place as that far away (assuming by lack of detail on it)

Hope you don't mind my version .

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    AztcFireFlower - thanks for dropping by! I'll definately be working more on gestures

OldNoobie - Ah hands and feet, how i love thee. I study thee with seemingly no end in sight, purely for mine own enjoyment. Yeah, it's a chore, lot's more of that to come. Thanks for dropping by

rayk - thanks for the paintover! i see what you mean, and some of that i was trying to do but i'm not that great at it yet. Gotta do some thumbs - quickies are how i learn best

Well.. i was going to draw more than this today but finishing up my CalArts portfolio took longer than i thought. I did write a rock awesome essay though. Here's a quick study of one of the great masters...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Enviro's looking good, rayk's PO covers most of the issues. My 2 cent: don't go overboard with that grass brush, cause it's killing the perspective of that chunk of land. Try laying some big sized strokes with it near the foreground, and some smaller ones near the water, to emphasize depth.
    Batman's cool too. Pubic arch is a tad too low and his right arms looks kinda chunky. Who's the artist of that one?
    Keep it up.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    fedezz - thanks. Yeah, i was worried that the grass was messing up the perspective, but i was so fed up with that one at that point that i just didnt care :/ I'll be wary of that next time. That batman was from Jim Lee's Hush Mini-series.

Figures from tonight. I was kind of out of it - tired from all of this college app stuff + midterms at school. At any rate, was trying to think of value shifts over the whole figure like severin suggested. Crit them like you would my best!

It was 10 one mins, 3 five mins, 2 fifteen mins, and one hour long pose.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey,
    likw the enviro .Those life drawings in pencil show alot of improvment.Your long poses are looking good , should take longer on more of your stuff.

keep it up .james

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Wink Nice

I see you have been quite busy in the previous months. This is my advice to you, you should try to actually finish a few pieces. Just about all the art posted in this thread i have looked at is very unrefined and unpolished. Dont get me wrong, you seem to have an astounding committment to drawing, but it lacks flare. Instead of trying produce as much as you can, start work on improving one picture so it looks done. Also i would like to see some work on your own characters, having one's own characters tells me just how creativite a person can be. Though i havent actually finished a picture in awhile, i was finishing a lot of things. Though much of my work may look flat, i feel that at this point in my artistic development i need to work on detail. Hey maybe together we make one great artist, you on the poses and shading and i on the detailing and general character designing. If i were to bring a few of my unfinished pieces over to your place, would consider finishing them as an experiment. I wonder how the combined efforts of our school's best art talent would come out. Well i hope this information helps you, i hope to see finished pieces from you in the future.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    guitarjames - thanks for droppng by, i'm planning to

arvalis - hey man, good to finally see you on CA Yeah, a lot of people have been complaining about the lack of finished pieces/imagination in here. I'd love to do some collab work, just let me know what you want to do and we can work on it

The main reason for the lack of finished pieces is that i feel at this point its more important for me to learn how to get the big picture - composition, value changes, proportion, perspective. Details are done after all of that, and most of the time by the point where i've worked through the big picture i'm tired and i move on. Clearly its time to get used to finishing stuff, so there will definately be more of that. In the coming months as i get a little more time to work on stuff.

The main reason i've been skimping on imagination in this sb is because i mostly just doodle random ideas in my sketchbook, and i only post a few of those online. I try to include imagination in my enviros, but i guess people want to see characters too, so i'll be working on it.

Also, at that fateful portfolio day in september 05 i was told by 8 consecutive college reps to do nothing but life drawing, so that had quite the impact on me... i'd say for the better. Now, as I prepare to go to one of those colleges I can get my imagination back in gear and focus on letting my studies do their job.

So here's some of that life drawing, 10 1's, 3 5's, 2 15's and a 1.5 hour. Enjoy.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Trying the forest again, all 100% opaque brushes. Beginning stages.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey,
    The life drawings are good but take your time on the feet and hands,Good to see you using high opacity but the enviro dosent have a great sense of depth or a focus point(my eye seems to settle in the middle of the page)Try using some texture brushes chalk and splater and desaturate the colours.

keep it up .james

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm with james on the last paint. Try using a slightly texured brush, or even non textured but with modified tip (in the brush settings, go to brush tip and flatten the default circle a bit/change angle). Also I'd recommend staying away from 100% opaque as you can't have any blends. While initial block in is about value, the easier way to approach would be to get 2 main shapes (sky and ground) and then start carving out of each other.

Anyway, keep it up! Life drawing is looking damn good.

p.s. Sorry for not popping in as often as you do!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    james and rayk - thanks for the input, i'll take it into account when i work on that one more.

I haven't been posting daily lately because i've felt like people don't want to see quick sketches because everyone tells me to take longer, but that's over. I'm just going to follow my original plan and post some piece of junk everyday, and i'll post the finished stuff when i have it (I AM working on finishing stuff, even if it doesnt seem like it)

So here's some junk concepts. A bit of ref was used.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, don't worry about the comments man, just post what you fancy.
    Sometimes it's hard to give a critique with the vast amount of life drawings you post, 'cause I don't want to sound repetitive and annoying pointing out things you already know or that were already mentioned.
    Everyone's sketchbook is different, so don't let them get you down, you are doing great.
    I like the first concept, the pose and angle, but I'm not reading his left arm and shoulder area well. The second one looks a little off balance, try putting some perspective in the feet and varying their angle. Marko Djurdjevic's character concepts are great to do some cool pin up poses studies.
    Cheers!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    fedezz - thanks for the encouragement. Feel free to repeat as much as needed, that can hammer it into my head better... i forget things easily

Here's something i've spent probably 6 or 7 hours on total (thumbs, etc) for a friend over the last week. Tried a lot of new techniques, shortcuts, strange ideas. Gotta get the hang of coloring chars. Its supposed to be a martian war robot based on greek spartans. Finished?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey,
    When doing concepts really try and look back at what you learnt from all of those anatomy/lifedrawings ad apply it there.That last one, i get a nice sense off movment but it is too saturated ,maybe put some cool hues in there to.

keep it up .james

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    james - thanks for the crits. I'm still workin on coloring chars, its surprisingly different from enviros. the reason i avoided cool hues is because he's on mars.

life drawing, you know the drill, tried new stuff and tried to incorporate crits from you guys. Always feel free to repeat, it helps me know if i've made progress or not. some fives, a couple of fifteens, and an hourish

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey,
    Improvment agin , the first ones and the pencil ones stand out.The second page is very stiff almost as if there is ametal rod down her back.
    Think the last one would of been nice but the green pastel kinda brings it down.
    keep it up .james

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    guitarjames - thanks for the c + c. The green pastel was there because my teacher projected a slide onto her.

here's a new one, i've started to use layers to my advantage, which is helping me take my time a little more. This one is 2 hours i think.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This pic is nice, though the pose doesnt make a whole lotta sense, because of the leg in foreground. The direction on the leg is pointed left, though for this pose to make sense, the leg should be pointed to the right. The sheild is in an odd place too. Perhaps if you were to move the sheil a little left it could work. Your coloring is getting better aswell, however you have this habbit of losing detail for color. Im not sure if that makes sense. You do have a nice ability of making things look like they are in motion, i would like to see some colored works with staionary characters and backgrounds. Overall your progress is good, im just not sure if it is the right direction you should be heading in.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    arvalis - thanks, i see what you mean about the pose. I didn't really lose detail on that one, i was trying to keep it simple because it's supposed to be a fascist war machine. I am going to try and start working detail into my digis soon

Finished my life drawing class! excited about having some more evenings free to mess around with enviros/ creative stuff in general. Also finished up a lot of schoolwork this week so i should have more time to draw in general Here are some ball-point doodles from the critique session of my class.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, I'm liking the direction that warrior paint is heading. One thing that is troubling me is the muddly feeling in it. Maybe it's due to compression or the way you apply colour. If it's colour maybe try to get some of those colour smudging and blending with each other? (avoid the smudge tool but!).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey,
    that digi could turn out nice,the forward leg looks to latge for how close it is.With your dodles , try taking a bit more time on stuff so instead of 2 avreage pages try to get 1 good one.

keep it up.james

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    rayk - Thanks, still trying to figure out how to blend without that effect

guitarjames - thanks, trying to do a little of both

Here's a digipaint - 3 hoursish.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Tried to get 1 good page of feet and one super quick concept enviro.

Page 12 of 37 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 5