Thanked 1,248 Times in 588 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    …and will again in the future no doubt.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    He/she is also trolling wetcanvas, but they are a little slower to pick up on it over there lol.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ah yes... This thread.
    I remember a point when I could have been forever immortalized in these posts.
    It seems so vague now, but I remember... having my avatar changed to a pug with a panda hat and being utterly crucified, I also remember having a deep grudge for Elwell for quite some time afterward. I was a complete idiot back then and still am, but now that I look at everything through adult eyes I can say that I deserved everything I got, and I mean EVERYTHING. I know that I have a lot of nerve coming back here after 3 years, but I don't think I could ever feel comfortable with the embarrassment of the way I acted back then without being truly sincere. Every trace of my previous existence has for the most part vanished, everything but my shame. Whether someone did it out of whimsy or pity... I thank them. And I thank you, Elwell. For what it's worth.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to HarbingerofIllRepute For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,555 Times in 607 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Anatomy is not an element of design so REFRAIN from such comments. IF you do not know the elements of design, they follow as:

Line
    Form
    Texture
    etc....
    Yep that's him.

I remember when he had a different screen name than the current two, though.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by HarbingerofIllrepute View Post
    Ah yes... This thread.
    It seems so vague now, but I remember... having my avatar changed to a pug with a panda hat and being utterly crucified, I also remember having a deep grudge for Elwell for quite some time afterward. I was a complete idiot back then and still am, but now that I look at everything through adult eyes I can say that I deserved everything I got, and I mean EVERYTHING. I know that I have a lot of nerve coming back here after 3 years, but I don't think I could ever feel comfortable with the embarrassment of the way I acted back then without being truly sincere. Every trace of my previous existence has for the most part vanished, everything but my shame. Whether someone did it out of whimsy or pity... I thank them. And I thank you, Elwell. For what it's worth.
    We all make mistakes that we deeply regret. ALL OF US. Anyone alive who says that they never made any embarrassing mistakes on the road during their journey is either an atrocious liar or some puff of smoke you are encountering during a fever dream where your mind is being assailed by its posse of demons trying to subvert itself with its own guilt and regret in its search for meaning and absolution.

You make mistakes, and you learn. That's how you grow, that's how we all do. You do not learn from your successes - since you succeeded, what's there to acknowledge, critique, and examine? Sure, you learn to emulate that - but that's exactly the point I'm making. You emulate, you do not change or grow. You have to fall before you can walk, and you have to stumble before you can run.

I've made very, very dumbshit, immature, shitheel choices when I was younger. So much so that if I were to stumble upon some mythical portal to the past, and encounter my younger self, I would have to make a huge concerted effort to stop my hand from reaching the nearest blunt object and making it come into contact with my younger self's cranium.

Thankfully, when I did that, I wasn't a Twitter Tweeter or had everything I did catalogued on the tubes, but even then some embarrassing vestiges still remain. But still, even if that scenario were to happen, you can rest easily enough (I suppose?) that the internet has a very short term memory, memes do not last forever, much less long, and by some unholy set of unlucky circumstances 4chan or some others decide to make you the target of their maliciousness, they'll get bored and move on - provided you don't continue the stupidity and feed the process.

So anyway, in your case, that was 3 years ago, you have a new alias, and a nice new start with your SB (Great Giger vibe with the first image btw! Always a fan of Giger).

"Never regret thy fall from grace, O' spirit of Icarian flight, for the greatest tragedy of them all to face, is to never feel the burning bright"
    Believe my lies, for I tell the truth about them. Or would you rather me lie about telling the truth?

| Sketchbook | Live Stream | Portfolio | dA | Facebook | Tumblr |

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Maledict For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Rabbi Satan View Post
    We all make mistakes that we deeply regret. ALL OF US. Anyone alive who says that they never made any embarrassing mistakes on the road during their journey is either an atrocious liar or some puff of smoke you are encountering during a fever dream where your mind is being assailed by its posse of demons trying to subvert itself with its own guilt and regret in its search for meaning and absolution.

You make mistakes, and you learn. That's how you grow, that's how we all do. You do not learn from your successes - since you succeeded, what's there to acknowledge, critique, and examine? Sure, you learn to emulate that - but that's exactly the point I'm making. You emulate, you do not change or grow. You have to fall before you can walk, and you have to stumble before you can run.

I've made very, very dumbshit, immature, shitheel choices when I was younger. So much so that if I were to stumble upon some mythical portal to the past, and encounter my younger self, I would have to make a huge concerted effort to stop my hand from reaching the nearest blunt object and making it come into contact with my younger self's cranium.

Thankfully, when I did that, I wasn't a Twitter Tweeter or had everything I did catalogued on the tubes, but even then some embarrassing vestiges still remain. But still, even if that scenario were to happen, you can rest easily enough (I suppose?) that the internet has a very short term memory, memes do not last forever, much less long, and by some unholy set of unlucky circumstances 4chan or some others decide to make you the target of their maliciousness, they'll get bored and move on - provided you don't continue the stupidity and feed the process.

So anyway, in your case, that was 3 years ago, you have a new alias, and a nice new start with your SB (Great Giger vibe with the first image btw! Always a fan of Giger).
    I don't think that there's anything thing that I can really say other than that I agree with you in full. I was an entitled little shit that regretfully had access to a keyboard.

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Ah yes... This thread.
    I couldn't find what you're referring to, now I'm dying of curiosity!
    And seriously, whatever it was, don't worry about it. I assure you, people have been in even worse holes here and pulled themselves out.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

kev ferrara is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,151 Times in 1,701 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    It is always a bit of a shock for artists to find out that they aren't 1 in a million, but 1 of a million. It takes a while for most to adjust. This adjustment period, if its not too destructive or prolonged, tends to be forgotten and forgiven once the ship in question is righted.

At least Icarus tried!

My Process: Dead Rider Graphic Novel (Dark Horse Comics) plus oil paintings, pencils and other goodies:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=101106

My "Smilechild" Music. Plus a medley of Commercial Music Cues and a Folksy Jingle!:
    http://www.myspace.com/kevferrara

12. The Following User Says Thank You to kev ferrara For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwell View Post
    I couldn't find what you're referring to, now I'm dying of curiosity!
    And seriously, whatever it was, don't worry about it. I assure you, people have been in even worse holes here and pulled themselves out.
    It is pretty strange that everything has disappeared... It'd have been too perfect for this thread.

I believe I was going by the name "Burningpanda" at the time (Synonymous with being flamboyant and useless... I had a strange sense of humor back then) before that it was "anon" or something of that nature. I don't remember what I got banned for, but I thought that I was going to be unbanned... Didn't happen. So newly 15 year old me decided to make a new account and make the affair public. It got Randis' attention, and for a time things were reasonably stable. But then I tweaked, leading me to getting muted, had my picture changed to something more "suitable" by a mod, and needless to say the forum tore me to shreds, even Jason Manley joined in on the fun, in fact I believe he was the one who made it into a poll whether to flame me more or to ban me again. I think I also inadvertently turned someone here into a moderator too if I am not mistaken. I feigned mental illness and left.

But whatever the case, I was forced to give you an apology... It was not a proper one... And it shouldn't have taken 3 years to realize that. I wouldn't feel right being on this forum failing that. It's been on my mind the whole time I have been here.

But clearly you've forgotten, you have probably dealt with people like myself numbering in the thousands. Perhaps it is just time to let it go.

Last edited by HarbingerofIllRepute; May 6th, 2012 at 09:31 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,345 Times in 1,209 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Perhaps it is just time to let it go.
    Yeah, I think so. In Internet years, your offenses have been dead of old age for a couple years now. Just draw something and be a dick no more.

*** Sketchbook * Landscapes * Portfolio * Store***

"There are two kinds of students: the self-taught and the hopeless."
    - Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vineris For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by kev ferrara View Post
    It is always a bit of a shock for artists to find out that they aren't 1 in a million, but 1 of a million.
    So true. In their daily lives, they probably ARE quite unique. They may even be the only (aspiring) artist they know. But they come here and realize they are now a little fish in a big pond and their family members and friends aren't around to cushion their egos. Same thing with new art school students, from what I hear.

'Cuz life is full of your regrets, and I should be one...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by PuppyKitten View Post
    So true. In their daily lives, they probably ARE quite unique. They may even be the only (aspiring) artist they know. But they come here and realize they are now a little fish in a big pond and their family members and friends aren't around to cushion their egos. Same thing with new art school students, from what I hear.
    So damn true. I remember I used to think I as decent when I first started to draw...I made an account here ,posted my work and realized how terrible my work was. I think I was 17, going on 18. So then I just practiced my ass off, day and night, and got better(enough to not be embarrased to post my work)...and I thought I was good. But then I saw the sketchbooks of people my age that were 1052035 times better and realized I still sucked. Im now 20 and a half, I practice day and night, and I dont think of how good or bad I am, I just work hard and always try to keep it in my head that i really am still a small fish in a big pond. Somehow, in a strange way, it's kind of comforting and exhilerating to know that i've got so much more to learn

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by PuppyKitten View Post
    So damn true. I remember I used to think I as decent when I first started to draw...I made an account here ,posted my work and realized how terrible my work was. I think I was 17, going on 18. So then I just practiced my ass off, day and night, and got better(enough to not be embarrased to post my work)...and I thought I was good. But then I saw the sketchbooks of people my age that were 1052035 times better and realized I still sucked. Im now 20 and a half, I practice day and night, and I dont think of how good or bad I am, I just work hard and always try to keep it in my head that i really am still a small fish in a big pond. Somehow, in a strange way, it's kind of comforting and exhilerating to know that i've got so much more to learn

Thanks
    Thanked 1,555 Times in 607 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by SandyMan View Post
    So damn true. I remember I used to think I as decent when I first started to draw...I made an account here ,posted my work and realized how terrible my work was.
    See, I don't understand how that's possible even though it's apparently common. Do most people just not notice the work that inspired them to pick up a pencil in the first place and take it for granted?

Do the animu kids just stop noticing their favorite authors and studios? Do gamers stop noticing the games they play? Hell, when they learn art related stuff in high school history classes! Do they just set it aside to another part of their brain?

The big pond thing I understand, but how does THIS work?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,345 Times in 1,209 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Psychotime View Post
    See, I don't understand how that's possible even though it's apparently common. Do most people just not notice the work that inspired them to pick up a pencil in the first place and take it for granted?

Do the animu kids just stop noticing their favorite authors and studios? Do gamers stop noticing the games they play? Hell, when they learn art related stuff in high school history classes! Do they just set it aside to another part of their brain?

I think most young artists start off by copying. They get to where they can imitate their favourite artist fairly successfully in a small range of poses they've practiced, and because they avoid all the things they're not good at, they feel their drawings are successful. If they are successful they must be almost as good as their favourite artist, right? There's only a few difficult things like hands and feet and foreshortening to master but that can't take more than a month or two. And if they stick the hands in pockets and the feet behind a rock, the drawing looks almost like a professional manga artist did it.

It takes a while to understand that being able to copy your favourite artist is not at all the same as having to make all those decisions from scratch by yourself.

*** Sketchbook * Landscapes * Portfolio * Store***

"There are two kinds of students: the self-taught and the hopeless."
    - Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

21. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to vineris For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Psychotime View Post

Agree. I never really understood that either.

When I was about 13 and discovered art on the Internet and since then everytime I see good artwork I like it makes me want to get better and be able to do that too.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,199 Times in 1,055 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I think what happens is that as your own abilities improve, so do your perception, taste, and ability to see what's going on in a picture. Beginning artists often don't see their own mistakes, and don't see how much of a gap there is between their work and the work they admire. Weird but true.

For instance, my fifteen-year-old self thought my drawings had perfect anatomy and were, like, totally on par with the old masters! Looking back on them now, I see them for the ghastly monstrosities they were (god, why did I give everybody such GIANT hands...)

I'm honestly not sure how this happens, but it does. Somehow when I was fifteen I could look at great art, and look at my dreck, and fail to see the huge gap in quality... It's like my brain was bleeping out select portions of reality. (I guess that applies to everything in a teenage brain, actually.)

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to QueenGwenevere For This Useful Post:

OmenSpirits is offline Commercial-Illustrator in-training, NOT an artist. Level 13 Gladiator: Retiarius
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,042 Times in 680 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I blame High school.

My drawings were shit (to be blunt) but when you can do something that others think as 'magic', then undo praise tends to follow. Once I hit college, reality tapped me on the shoulder and said, "You need to work on yo shit, patna!"

Luckily, I always listened to that inner voice.

"Everything must serve the idea. The means used to convey the idea should be the simplest and clear. Just what is required. No extra images. To me this is a universal principle of art. Saying as much as possible with a minimum of means."
    -John Huston, Director

26. The Following User Says Thank You to OmenSpirits For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,516 Times in 2,456 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by OmenSpirits View Post
    Luckily, I always listened to that inner voice.
    Hmm, mine just says KILL KILL KILL AND MAKE A CHAIR FROM THEIR BONES. Stupid inner voice.

sb most art copied to page 1
    Weapons of Mass Creation 2011 ::: Add your favourites!
    facebook: Alface Killah

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Velocity Kendall For This Useful Post:

OmenSpirits is offline Commercial-Illustrator in-training, NOT an artist. Level 13 Gladiator: Retiarius
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Velocity Kendall View Post
    Hmm, mine just says KILL KILL KILL AND MAKE A CHAIR FROM THEIR BONES. Stupid inner voice.
    I've got that one also, but mine's more like TOTAL SCORCHED EARTH! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT!

But then I remember that I don't give a good goddamn about the people that SHOULD be scorched.

"Everything must serve the idea. The means used to convey the idea should be the simplest and clear. Just what is required. No extra images. To me this is a universal principle of art. Saying as much as possible with a minimum of means."
    -John Huston, Director

30. The Following User Says Thank You to OmenSpirits For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Velocity Kendall View Post
    It kinda creeps me out that recently whenever I see stacks of watermelons my inner voice just keeps on saying "HEADS, WALLS, SPIKES!". Garrghhhhh, I've watched that part of Game of Thrones way too much(the part with Tywain and Tyrion in the tent, you know).

Lol, aside from the rambling, I think people tend to be naturally easier with certain aspects of art, and those areas are generally what people focus on with their art. I had an easier time with rendering, so I used to think I was pretty good at portraiture because I can render the hell out of it. But actually all those old drawings have horrendous construction problems, but I never noticed the problems simply because I didn't pay much attention to construction.

You know how sometimes a drawing can look pretty good even if you only have a nicely drawn head and a crappy body. I think our eyes just tend to be very narrow-sighted sometimes.

Last edited by Aaron_; May 19th, 2012 at 01:25 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,516 Times in 2,456 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    "Garrghhhhh, I've watched that part of Game of Thrones way too much(the part with Tywain and Tyrion in the tent, you know)."

Two of the reasons I love Game of Thrones are Roxy McKee (lately of hardhitting drama series Hollyoaks) as Dani's lady in waiting, and Sibel Kikelli as Tyrions smoking hot girlfriend. (BTW ive not seen any of series 2 yet Im saving them up for a mega GoT bender, but tell me she makes it out alive? Pwease?
    Anyway before Kikelli became a successful actress winning Germany's highest film awards several times, she did loads and loads (and loads) of skin flicks under her own name or as 'Dilara'. Its superb research material if your into life drawing but live miles from the nearest life drawing classes..

"I think our eyes just tend to be very narrow-sighted sometimes."

Yep we focus so much brainpower on peoples eyes and faces that if you get those right the rest seems to fall in line. Untill you look at the drawing a year later and are like oh man what the fuck was I doing?

Last edited by Velocity Kendall; May 19th, 2012 at 06:54 PM.
    sb most art copied to page 1
    Weapons of Mass Creation 2011 ::: Add your favourites!
    facebook: Alface Killah

Thanks
    Thanked 1,013 Times in 690 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I wouldn't be surprised if I'm in here somewhere. I remember getting incredibly helpful and extensive critique from great artists whom I respect very much today, such as Elwell and JeffX and constantly trying to argue my way out of things, "explaining" how my mistakes supposedly weren't mistakes or weren't as bad as they made them out to be.

You learn from doing stupid things like that. I've grown a hell of a lot since I've become more active on this site again, for the most part in terms of attitude. I've never been arrogant per say, but I was the kind of artist that always has an excuse ready. I strongly regret that phase and wish I'd grown out of it sooner, but ah well. Better late than never, and it's largely thanks to this site and it's awesome members. Thanks guys!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Lhune View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if I'm in here somewhere. I remember getting incredibly helpful and extensive critique from great artists whom I respect very much today, such as Elwell and JeffX and constantly trying to argue my way out of things, "explaining" how my mistakes supposedly weren't mistakes or weren't as bad as they made them out to be.

You learn from doing stupid things like that. I've grown a hell of a lot since I've become more active on this site again, for the most part in terms of attitude. I've never been arrogant per say, but I was the kind of artist that always has an excuse ready. I strongly regret that phase and wish I'd grown out of it sooner, but ah well. Better late than never, and it's largely thanks to this site and it's awesome members. Thanks guys!
    I agree with Lhune, I'm still sort of that way. I've been working my way off the damn ego train and I owe a lot of my jumpstart to my improvement CA. Joined when I was 13 but stubborn as hell! 17 now. haha.

Sketchbook

I am going to be amazing! .

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Wasp

Quote Originally Posted by vineris View Post
    And if they stick the hands in pockets and the feet behind a rock, the drawing looks almost like a professional manga artist did it.
    I had no idea Rob Liefeld was a mangakai!

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    How to piss everybody off in record time:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=244227

Last edited by Elwell; June 28th, 2012 at 09:01 PM.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

37. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,780 Times in 849 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I love the logic here.

Question: How do I put my stuff out there?

Answer: Put your stuff out there.

Response: Fuck you! I have no intent on putting anything out there. YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND MY GENIUS!

39. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Raoul Duke For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    WOW.

That went to hell quick!

-John Huston, Director

Thanks
    Thanked 1,819 Times in 936 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I entered Art Discussion, saw that thread. Then I saw that the
    Worst of CA had been updated in the lounge.

I knew instantly there was a connection.

42. The Following User Says Thank You to Star Eater For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,206 Times in 882 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Page 34 of 36 FirstFirst ... 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 187