CHOW #30 - VOTING - The most unfortunate lady

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

View Poll Results: Chose your CHOWracher

Voters
69. You may not vote on this poll
  • CHOW #30 - VOTING - The most unfortunate lady dCepT

5 7.25%
  • CHOW #30 - VOTING - The most unfortunate lady MarcoNelor

37 53.62%
  • CHOW #30 - VOTING - The most unfortunate lady landauart

0 0%
  • CHOW #30 - VOTING - The most unfortunate lady tavarilyn

0 0%
  • CHOW #30 - VOTING - The most unfortunate lady tomgarden

2 2.90%
  • CHOW #30 - VOTING - The most unfortunate lady walnut

22 31.88%
  • CHOW #30 - VOTING - The most unfortunate lady exocentric

3 4.35%
  • CHOW #30 - VOTING - The most unfortunate lady

0 0%

Hybrid View

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

My gran pa met her. She had one son that died at birth, one daughter that wanted to die and a third child she never said anything to anybody about it except to the priest.. she asked the Lord to take her last child form the living. They were triplets.

wow - really nice round. i had a terrible time deciding what goes up the poll and what's not ready. We have great newcommers and this makes it more difficult.
    As always.. if anyone wants to cast a vote for a discarded entry - let me know...

so.. CLICK YOUR VOTE

WALNUT
    "Life was hard enough during the revolution, but it would have been bearable if she didn't have to cope with her son dealing with his depressions and continually escalating violence towards himself.
    At first she thought it might merely be a reaction to the situation around them, but it became apparent that it was more deep rooted than that after he started hurting himself, claiming that god hated him and he wanted to be rid of this life.

Clutching her sons suicide note in her hand, she stumbles through the night fog in search of her son, not knowing if she wishes to find him dead and free of his misery or alive so she might try to help him out of the pit of his suffering."

This unfortunate old lady (albeit, a hot old lady..depending on the eye of the beholder), bore a monstrosity of a child. He never comes out for fear of being burned at the steak. countless times he has tried to kill himself, but his lack of eyes due to his disfigured birth has crippled him of even suicide. Perhaps mother finally understands that its time to give him a hand.

no description|bad filename - it's an honnor for us to have your fist post on CA in our sick CHOWie area - we'll look for better work in the future.

November 12, 1795:

Jean has run off again. If Henri were still alive, he would've had the boy whipped for the things he says to me during the dark of night. But Henri is not here and the whole country has turned on its ear. I fear for my friends none of whom I've seen in weeks. When Jean leaves, he locks the doors and takes the keys.

I know not where he goes or whom he meets.

December 10, 1795:

I know now why Jean acts so cruelly. He had visitors last night. They were not shy to criticize those whom a mere ten years ago, they would have bowed before. I cry at night to think that things have fallen so, yet I dare not show myself in the streets. So many things have changed, but mostly Jean. He talks about the good of the country, about how it will get better, BE better than before.... but I see through those lies.

January 4, 1796:

I'm allowed out of the house now. It's more of a joke, really. HE'S fired all the servants, given me these ridiculous clothes to wear. You would laugh to see me now, dressed up like the merveilleuse, except I would die before you might see me. I still fear for my friends, and hope their children treat them better.

February 14, 1796:

Jean's gone completely mad! How he rants and raves like a madman at nights. He's drunk all day and brings those... those... peasants home at night. I can stay no longer - I'm leaving. May God take his soul and have mercy on mine! Henri, bless him, was no gentlemen, but never would he have sold me so cheaply for a few coins! As I write this, I cannot keep the tears from the page, nor my hand from shaking. I shall take my clothes and go. No where can be worse than here. Not even England....

She lies.....completely brokenhearted and in dispair....nothing will heal her or rid her of the torment she endures.

Years before the Revolution broke out she had already gone to exile in Bavaria. The condition of her son and the death of her husband necessitated her removal from court. Now she spends her days with bitter memories in the brooding presence of her deformed and hunchbacked child. No relatives or sponsors are alive anymore, and without financial aid she is left to whatever charity is bestowed her, while her dresses crumble into dust.

Lady Anna Bogart always seemed to be on the bad side of lady luck. Her parents died soon after her birth and she was sent to live with a nanny during her younger years. As she grew older she was blessed with an exceptional beauty, and happened upon a young French nobleman by the name of Darwin Atherton and was soon wed.
    During their marraige they had three children, the first two of which tragically died during soon after birth, but the third, a son, Henry, was kept safe and alive under Anna's wing.
    It was about the time that Henry was three when the French Revolution began and Darwin caught and hanged. Anna and her son fled to safety in England to live with relatives. She was only twenty five at the time but had already begun to get gray hairs from Henry's reckless antics. She tries to never leave his side for fear that something might happen to him, because things always do, even when she is there, so if she is ever seen without her son, she is rushing to and from rooms. Some of Henry's activities gave her more trouble than others. Like his love of knot tying, and one knot in particular, the noose...

In her last hours of despair she finds the truth. After his years of disloyalty, abuse, torment, and other horrors he wreaked upon his mother, her son had given her up to the rebellion as the final knife in the back. So he wrote in his final letter.

comments for the rejected pieces follow.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

almost there...

entries not taken to the poll:

No description - that head is still not there.

oh firapelle - it's also your first post on CA and i feel so damn.. silly taking all this too serious. the face has some issues - you have choosen a difficult angle and the features are shifted there due to perspective (i hope it makes sense)
    If i find the time i'll try later today to make a paintover - but i fear my shedulle is already exploding thank you for joining us. see you on the next subject.

Widow Oswell thirsts for liberty. Ever since her son, Jacques, has been having horrid nightmares and has threatened to kill himself on many occasions, she has never been able to feel joy. Will she ever stop crying? Will her and her son's life take a turn for the better?

you have few clean lines (ones you make fast probably) but mostly your linework is messy. Your colors are very saturated (all), values are not all there... it was a close one. If you would have taken the time to clean it up it would make a vote - i love the pose

also considered for this section:

super strong lines on the features of the face.. lots of flat surfaces

a lot of work in there but - the values are not good. You use that soft airbrush and try to suggest volume but in fact you ruin it. YOu only apply a sort of local light - look at the full character - there is no global light there. Also - your form needs more precission. Varry the temperature and the saturation of your collors - light / shadow...

due to the face i considered a cartoon approach. lots of anat issues and values - but i took it to the poll becouse it is not disturbing - the sketchy feel maybe makes it less pretentious. we'll need stronger work next time

man shoulders (could be ok with the concept though) however from the shoulders down.. it's all quite messy - odd straight line on the clothing over her breast, and suggested shilouette - has huge annatomy issues - the link between legs and body..
    i'm glad you went for values - it shows, and it looks better.

[edit] - i will try to comment on the descriptions tomorrow too

now - excuse the typos, english problems and all - i have been driving for 8 hours straight today and slept 3 hours each night - i'm beat. no time to read it all again. also - if i have been brutal with my words - appologies.
    first day in Sofia - this town could be cool. I hope it is... need sleep.
    Cya.

oh.. i forgot - we need a new topic right? ok.. that and then some sleep.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Voted for Walnut - very appropriate character for the topic, shame you ran out of time. Strong concept, would like to see it finished.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    who doesn't want a hot old lady.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Voted for Marco Nelor... simply because I like the picture the best.. one crit on the piece, though; I see more of a strong person than a sad, unfortunate woman. The execution of the piece rocks, though.. so you get my vote..

Lots of great entries!

Oblio: Thanks for the crits! Now that you pointed them out, I totally agree... I'll rework it and post in my SB

d-C

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ring ,ring, ring.... anybody else hear those bells because I know I just got schooled?

Ouch XD

Walnut has my vote.

Next round!!!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Marco Nelor or walnut... For me it really just came down to the verbal elegance of walnut. Very well written. I did the dress - however, that was equaled out by Marco's sexy lady and great rendering style... It really is a draw, but I enjoyed the writing of walnut a little more. Thus walnut!

dcept, I think you could reach some serious painting skills. Something about the lighting and rendering technique you display seems very promising!

landaurat, one of the nicest dresses here. The style reminds me of some of the artwork I'd see at art college, looks like a girl painted it... whoa, I should not write something like this unless I knew you were indeed a girl, which I did not check up on... no offense if you're a guy - we all have some feminine attributes or else we'd all die of a heart attack at age 16!

There are other pieces here that are pretty good, but I don't feel like typing more now. Soccer is on!

Last edited by dragon4lunch; June 26th, 2006 at 05:23 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by

[B
    landaurat[/B], one of the nicest dresses here. The style reminds me of some of the artwork I'd see at art college, looks like a girl painted it... whoa, I should not write something like this unless I knew you were indeed a girl, which I did not check up on... no offense if you're a guy - we all have some feminine attributes or else we'd all die of a heart attack at age 16!
    Well I am a recent grad so i understand the college look. As for the other remark I am a guy so i dont know why my hand paints like a girl. lol.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    well, I guess my piece didn't look finished/polished enough. I personally was going for that look, the rugged undefined lines, but eeeeh. great entries this round! I didn't even know some entries couldn't make it into the voting. Good luck everyone.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Seriously tough choice but I too had to go with Walnut. The feel of all of it, the dress, the paint itself specifically the cool shifts in the flesh tones and edges are what did it for me. The background snippet applies appropriately. We really feel that this is a mournful woman.

Marco: bitchin' piece but I still feel like she's too strong. She's making decisions out of calculation rather than desperation. But she is pretty effin' hot I love your piece, and feel it's a step up into an exciting direction from what else I've seen of your work.
    Dcept: Another stunning work just seems a little stiff overall to me. Kinda like she's on a stage really hamming it up or something.
    I only wish I could vote more than once cuz you guys definitely deserve it too.

Just freakin' wow guys. Good luck all around

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    For me it's between walnut and d-cept. I really like both as pieces. But I think in the end my vote goes to walnut. I like how it's got more of a solemn and depressed mood, rather than just sorrowful. The lighting is neat too...
    Oh, and kudos to landauart on the dress design. Real nice...

Ars longa, vita brevis.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    well walnut...damn you, hahaha. anyway. this was my first chow, and now i know what to do. so expect more from me.
    anyway, the vote goes to Walnut. id have voted for myself, but i feel taht walnut has a stellar piece ( you all do, great work guys)...but i feel like me and walnut were going in the same direction. both have a deformed kid. its nice to see what another artist does with the same idea that i had. maybe if we had done a collabo, we could have come up with something that completely rocked! dcept, i loved yer piece too. nicely painted, i felt it lacked a lil bit of edge tho. maybe thats just because i favor the more edgy approach. we are concept artists, its our job to think and be better than the next guy!

GET BALLSY guys! see ya next week

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    HOWEVER!!! i WILL say this. true, my ol lady looks strong, but nowhere in the description did it say she was a weak old lady, just says she used to be a noble. i was going for the psychotic look here. a mother, when they feel they need to do something for their child, becomes stronger than any man. rememba that

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    firapelle- I actually really like your piece. the anatomy is distorted, but her facial expression is truly tragic. I can see the sadness. she truly looks like she is crying uncontrolably.
    my vote goes to marco I just love the scary little son.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Voted for MarcoNelor. I like where this went, it was the most original concept to me.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well Marco, this can still go both ways you know. It is interesting to see how two different people handle the same approach to the subject. I thought the idea of the son poking out of her dress was better than mine though. The whole thing also has this (slightly) decadent tone which i think fits perfectly with the time period. The only fly in the ointment i think she may look a bit too bondage. But that could be just me. Tell the truth, i wonder why not more people took that angle. Oh yeah, i voted for you btw. And did i hear you say collab? Sure, why not?

d-cept: Strong piece, there were two setbacks for me. She looks like she has the cramps more than unthinkable grief and the hair's kinda grannystyle. Subjective, i know.

landauart: Er, what dragon4lunch said. The colooring is still colouring book. Face seems off too and she looks so young. Great dress though.

tavarilyn: It's sort of halfway for me now. I like the gruesome waistline and the psycho kid concept.

Tom G.: The painting's good, but the anatomy needs work. You have an interesting but diificult pose (certainly without reference) and the whole skirt thing makes it even harder. So it's though, dunno if i could have pulled off better. Some ref would have gone a long way here i think.

exocentric: I really like this one, but she's no doomed and mortally grieved countess. I wonder what a gloomier lighting, colour scheme and expression would have done.

TroyW.: Auw, mean concept man! Some anatomy issues - nose and mouth off-center, small face/ big shoulders and arms, funky right elbow - bit it's mainly the sketchy rendering which threw me off. Still, the expression is there,both hands and face.

Thanks for the comments all, btw.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    colabs are cool.
    voting for self - NOT.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    lol oblio, i was kidding! i voted for walnut. duh!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    marco nelor: Dude... you're right... the description didn't say she had to be weak and old... guess I was just clouded by my own vision of her...

See ya'll in the next one.

d-C

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    my vote went to marco nelor, awesome concept u delivered there

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    First of all, my vote went to Walnut. I felt that the concept he presented held true to the original idea better than Marco's. Marco, yours was a wonderful rendering! But... it struck me more as Victorian and Carnivale rather than French Revolution and/or desperate times.

To everyone else:

dcept: I thought the color hindered your concept rather than helped. I prefered it in B&W. Oh, and the hair set me off a bit, it just looked impossible to set upon a head that way. :]

Landuart: It came down to age, really. Not that mothers can't be young, but she looked more like a teenager at a costume party to me. But it was a really close. I dug the gown (mebbe not the bow on her neck, tho).

Tom: Up until I saw Walnut's, you had my vote. Even with the anatomy being off, your gal looked like a crumpled, mess. Her costuming was far more on for the era than just about -everyone- else's. Clean it up a bit next time and you'll be much closer.

Exocentric: I do a lot of Ren Faires. This one seemed like a Renaissance English type of attire rather than French. LOVED her face and hair, however. That was truly excellent. Wonderful shading and BG, even though the BG was minimal. Her expression, however, said "I'm afraid of the monsters in my basement" not "I'm a wrecked, depressed mess with kid problems". Good show, however! (mmmm, red....)

TroyW: Man, that is one horrified mother! -chuckles- Great backstory. Ouch, though, harsh. Nice costuming. I definitely saw "early revolution" when looking at yours. Coloring, hairstyle, attitude, posturing... all there for French noble at a guillotine. Anatomy killed it for me, I think. Otherwise, NJ!

Thanks to anyone who commented on mine, and mostly to Oblio for even -taking- mine to poll. I was shocked and pleased. My first drawing here at all. Wasn't sure if I'd even be able to stand next to some of these brilliant artists.

Until next week......

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Walnut & Tavarilyn: What? You makin' fun of my chick's man-neck? lol S'ok you should've seen my face when I looked at the vote thread after it went up (and sleep of course) I flipped my shizzle.

Marco: Good point on the rest of us being literal bastards. hehe. I just thought of this too, for some reason (hrmmmmbondage?) looking at this I'm reminded of MacFarlane toys. Specifically the Oz line I guess? maybe the Bathory one... no point to that just popped up.

I'm not really into going after perfect anatomy anymore, it's more like an expressive persuit as long as the necessary information is there... knowing it's an elbow, clavicle, etc... I'd been through that stage and it got tedious but I know I definitely missed a lot of points I try to hit on this one. Funny how we'll always be hardest on ourselves. Sketchy, washy, insomnia, rushing all bad. Got it. Clean cup move down...

Like I said before I still wish I could multivote. Damnit.

Oblio let me multivote! lol

I put a tweak in my SB if anyone wants to check it out, lemme know what's on your minds at length maybe. Thanks for the crits n' sheet... Cya next round!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    my choice was between Tom Garden, Walnut and the rejected Firappelle, beyond anatomy issues, I was drawn to the raw emotion of the first and the last of these, when you are totally dejected you are unaware of your edges or margins. Walnut's piece though elegantly rendered seemed too still for desperation. I know these are very arbitrary designations that I am using to eveluate art work but thats how it grabbed me.
    I loved this topic, I hated that Im working too hard to tackle it, though no doubt I would have had anatomy problems too... I always do.
    Good work all!
    Voted for Tom
    Chaos

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I voted for Marco Nelar because of the nice style and narrative behind the piece. Nice work everyone!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.