Would Somebody Tell Me How You're Suppose to Survive off of $50.00 per page?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Would Somebody Tell Me How You're Suppose to Survive off of $50.00 per page?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Would Somebody Tell Me How You're Suppose to Survive off of $50.00 per page?

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/med/175138232.html

22 x $50 = $ 1100.

Most new comic book artists put in more then 40 hours a week on a book and usually complete the one book in one month.

It just seems like a lot of work for little reward.....does this job offer seem typical?

Should this be accepted?

My New Neglected Sketchbook
    You Ain't no Nina!.....

"Too often we... enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." -- John Fitzgerald Kennedy
    "My mind is made up. Don't confuse it with facts." -- Terence McKenna
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sucks, don't it? It's not an uncommon rate, and I've seen worse. Many artists work on more than one project at a time.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    And now you know why not all comics are beautiful works of art and rather look like they were done as quick as possible.

Interceptor is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The glamorous, high paying life of entertainment artists

* Help a CA artist! Visit the Constructive Critique section! *

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    if you do 2 pages a day, that's $100/day. Assuming you work 6 days a week, you'll earn $600/week, making $2400/month.

that's not too bad.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Seems low to me. Travis Charest is the best guy in comics today I think, I can't imagine he could get out 2 pages a day and have them look the way they do. Guess thats why most comics look not so good. I have a friend that says he buys comics for the story only and the art doesn't matter. My question is why not just buy novels. People that have this attitude are ruining comics, cause they can get away with lame artwork. If the art sucks, I don't buy it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    obviously the rates get better, according to status, experience, etc.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    well...my mom works 40 hours in some stupid Supermarket where it is very hot and shes around 45 NAD get less paid than that...so I think it is a good offer...

Quote Originally Posted by Ilaekae
    "Art is the physical result of your soul battling with your intellect to the death...with a sharp pencil..."
    THE AUSTRIAN SKETCHLORDS
    Baron Carnifex
    Duke Corky

Thanks
    Thanked 1,475 Times in 469 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    it's not horrible from what I've seen, but well bellow standard as quoted in the Graphic Artists Guild Handbook. Actually, that would be pencils or inks, do you mean both? Because that's sorta twice as much work.

"Every little step considered one at a time is not terribly daunting" - Ethan Coen

New books and process DVD available NOW!

www.dvpalumbo.com

Quickie blog (nudity)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Scubasteve
    Seems low to me. Travis Charest is the best guy in comics today I think, I can't imagine he could get out 2 pages a day and have them look the way they do. Guess thats why most comics look not so good. I have a friend that says he buys comics for the story only and the art doesn't matter. My question is why not just buy novels. People that have this attitude are ruining comics, cause they can get away with lame artwork. If the art sucks, I don't buy it.
    Yeah and Travis was also renowned to take a fantastic amount of time to finish his work. Which is why he left the north american comic book industry for a couple of years.
    His one of my favorite comic book artists btw.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Charest is awesome, but yeah egerie is right, he was taking too long pages. I think he's primarily working on Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic covers right now. 50$ a page is a BIT low, even for people starting out (from what I've been told) but not by much.

Oh and I'm pretty DAMN sure Charest does NOT bust out 2 pages a day, that's pretty fuckin quick even for artists who put a lot less detail in their work.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    we'd be lucky if Charest got 2 pages done in a month.

$50/page is a standard indie rate. that's why it's a labor of love.

Edit: the only way I would take this job if I'd be able to crank out a page very two hours, which i can't.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If we're talking about Charest then I think it's pretty feasable for him to punch out 2 pages a day (in this for instance) if it were just pencils. It's an accomplishable feat if you consider maybe 8 hours worth of solid work. Maybe it's 16 for him who knows. But if you're talking maybe... oh... Bill Sienkiewicz? That's three, four pages a day depending how nuts he's feeling WITH inks!

More incentive to be able to work faster and do your own inks. Less time drawing making it perfect, more time getting paid.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I was at the Gnomon Workshop this weekend, and there were a lot of comic book artists up there, probably because Steven Platt was demonstrating. I heard one guy complaining about making 70 bux per page. I saw several portfolios from guys who kicked ass, guys I hadnt even heard of. A lot of them had been in comics as pencilers or inkers, but after just a couple years got burned out. The quality of the work they had in their portfolios is almost never what you see in the books, maybe the covers but thats it. Even worse, I heard stories about guys who were assisting in pencils or inks, ended up doing most of the work and never got ANY credit at all. I actually heard that happens a lot in the comics field.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    no actually. thats pretty good! 1100.00. nice!

Talent and Creativity are yours to use and keep

[S K E T C H B O O K]

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by That fat kid
    ITo quote Elwell's signature, "Work is more fun than fun," which is most definitely not true in most people's lives.
    That's true, but do you know what's no fun at all?
    Poverty.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Do comics for the love, not for the money. Even the top guys make $150-$225 a page which is great if you live in muddletown and pay nothing for rent.
    We'll never again see the rates from back in the early 1990's when Todd Mcfarlane was pulling in $2000 per page. If you want to draw for comics, doing cover illo's is far more profitable.

-JK

Thanks
    Thanked 3,344 Times in 1,123 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Do graphic design on the side, assuming you have the time (and the schooling)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If you like doing sequential art and are good at it, look for opportunities doing storyboards. Ad agencies used to hire storyboard artists regularly when planning tv commercials. A lot of that work has been scaled back as clients become more budget minded but large agencies usually pull out all of the stops when they are pitching a new client. That's when they'll hire dozens of storyboard artists to give their scripts & concepts some excitement and hopefully dazzle the client.

I personally have no experience storyboarding for the movie industry but whether you are doing it for film or advertising, storyboards pay per-frame and are generally more lucrative.

Mark Hannon
    Art Direction & Design
    Online Portfolio

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    $50 per pencilled AND inked page? That's twice the work for less than a fourth of the pay. Yaaaaah, right. You'd make more working in retail.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,475 Times in 469 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Todd Mcfarlane was pulling in $2000 per page
    holy fuck are you kidding me?!

"Every little step considered one at a time is not terribly daunting" - Ethan Coen

New books and process DVD available NOW!

www.dvpalumbo.com

Quickie blog (nudity)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think the rates reflect the demand . Comics are pretty close to dead . Seems like tons of comic book veterans work in video games now actually.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i remember reading when Jim Lee started out at Marvel he was making $75 a page but that was in the '80s. But like most companies i dont think the minimum wage has increased much since then. I'd venture a guess at maybe $100 a page starting at Marvel or DC.

$2000 a page!!!??? thats insane! Was that after he started his company? and if so does it include his percentage of the profits for being the owner? or was Marvel stupidly paying him that much before he left them?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    'splains the price hikes in the early 90's !

Thanks
    Thanked 1,219 Times in 624 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    wow, 2000$ per page is abit extreme right ? I dunno how is
    art looks like, it well payed though 10 pages = 20000$ = 1 month x 12 = 2400000$ ? thats alot.....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    $50 a page for pencils and inks is VERY low, and yes, it would be hard to survive on that rate. However, some of the comments here are way off the mark as far as what comic book artists earn who are working for Marvel and DC etc...You can make quite a good living working for the major publishers. The key word here is MAJOR publishers. The ad seems to be from guy who is running a start up company with an obviousy limited budget and can't afford the rates an established comic artist would command.

That's not to say that this job couldn't be beneficial as a stepping stone to getting higher profile work. Most people don't start at the top. You could look at it as "paying your dues" before your ground breaking run on X-Men

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by DavePalumbo
    holy fuck are you kidding me?!
    On the karmic side, most of that ended up going towards worthless baseballs and legal settlements .

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I guess it depends on what you want in a comic. For me the art is paramont. That was my point, I know Charest is notoriously slow, but I think the comics in the end are worth the wait. Maybe its not realistic for artists like him to make monthly comics, but I would rather get 6 comics a year that were totally awesome the 12 with so so artwork. Just me though.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hmm, I'd be more likely to read a comic with sub-par art that had an amazing story--then a comic with awesome art and crappy writing.

Although I'll agree that there seems to be an enormous amount of ugly art in comics right now. Shitty pay-rates and a kid-target audience that doesn't know any better will do that to a medium...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Dile
    wow, 2000$ per page is abit extreme right ? I dunno how is
    art looks like, it well payed though 10 pages = 20000$ = 1 month x 12 = 2400000$ ? thats alot.....
    Consider that he was making that while doing his stint on Spiderman . Which at the time was selling millions of books/month @ 1.00 per book. He was also the penciler/inker and even writer on several of the books . I actually think 2000/page was chump change compared to what he was making marvel . Though I think at that time the artists..etc etc got a % of the sales also so he was probebly making a lot more then 2000/page

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.