The tablet is dead! Long live the tablet!
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: The tablet is dead! Long live the tablet!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

The tablet is dead! Long live the tablet!

Mine to be exact. The old crappy Aiptek gave up the ghost last night, so now I'm going to get myself a shiny (and accurate) new wacom.

Problem is that I'm not sure what the cheepest retailer here in Europe is, and whether or not I should try looking on ebay. I already took a glance at ebay.de, but it seems to be infested with stores that start the bidding off at nearly retail price, rather than actual people putting their stuff up for sale.

So where should I buy it from, considering that I'm in Germany.

btw, UK retailers are also fine, as long as they ship to the mainland for a reasonable price.

Es fließt durch meine Venen, Es schläft in meinen Tränen
    Es läuft mir aus den Ohren, Herz und Nieren sind Motoren

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm from the UK, and I got mine off amazon for just a little bit lower than from other places I looked (for a brand new one anyway).

http://www.amazon.de/exec/obidos/sea...keywords=wacom

I can't read German, but here's the german amazon page for wacom stuff, if that helps.

It did take a while to arrive though, since I think they had to order it from the manufacturer first.

(late edit: might have misunderstood the question sorry, I think that was pretty useless from me going by the rest of the repsonses, hope you find what your looking for (: )

Last edited by lysander; June 26th, 2006 at 06:33 PM.
    blah blah blah blah

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    well, considering you're in Germany, Ebay souldn't be the place of your choice. You're absolutely right, most reseller on the german ebay are just selling for the retail price, or even more.

there is an austrian site, which collects the cheapest offers from german and austrian shops around the net, here's the direkt link to the wacom graphic-tabletts.

http://www.geizhals.at/eu/?cat=pads

gl

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks adraude, that site is pretty usefull. I'll bookmark it for later use as well.

I'm looking at the $73 Graphire 4 classic A6 right now http://www.geizhals.at/eu/a165778.html but I was wondering if anyone has used it and had a bad experience in terms of accuracy. My Aiptek would draw crooked lines all the time, making it all but useless for lineart, and I don't want a repeat. The fact that it has no scroll buttons and such really isn't an issue for me, and the active area size is ok too.

And just to clarify, I'm buying the cheap one because my freelance work requires that I be able to do color concepts, and without being able to do that I may not be able to earn enough money for... say THIS So basically I'm going to start low and use the cheapo graphire to work my way up if I feel that it really sucks.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I just replaced an a4 aiptek with an a4 wacom

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    if you want cheap and portable, look for the wacom pen tab. the drawing area is slightly smaller than the A6, about credit card size but it's the definition of cheap.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i have both the 4x5 at home and use the 9x12 at work. i actually preffer the 4x5 and will bring it to work to use instead. the problem with the 9x12 IMO (i am going to be lynched for this) is that the pen translates to the screen in relative to where it is on the pad at all times. the 4x5 thankfully doesn't do that, becase it makes spacebar scrolling easier since your pen won't retranslate to the same spot on screen. it resets everytime your pen leaves the tablet.

does that make sense?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So it works like a mouse rather than the tablet default? Btw, how's the accuracy in comparison to the intuous? Close enough, or enough to annoy? From your response I'd guess close enough, but just making sure.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by ParkerD
    i have both the 4x5 at home and use the 9x12 at work. i actually preffer the 4x5 and will bring it to work to use instead. the problem with the 9x12 IMO (i am going to be lynched for this) is that the pen translates to the screen in relative to where it is on the pad at all times. the 4x5 thankfully doesn't do that, becase it makes spacebar scrolling easier since your pen won't retranslate to the same spot on screen. it resets everytime your pen leaves the tablet.

does that make sense?
    That should just be a setting in the properties. There's an option to switch between pen mode and mouse mode.

0kelvin

www.WhereIsMyEyeball.com My portfolio! Go check it out!
    Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    im sorry about your aiptek breaking down. that happened to me as well. but YES! wacom tablets! wacom rocks my world!

Talent and Creativity are yours to use and keep

[S K E T C H B O O K]

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.