Sketchbook: And we keep spinning - Page 8

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you have done a lot of exercises for sure, personally I like to learn how character move in a imaginary 3d world what I mean is using simple shape and line to capture the motion of human body whole body like the bottom character in this http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...1&d=1153114285 try to draw more instead of just put a lot of effort on some small parts like drawing hands and faces, after I can imagine posts in mind and put that in paper without too much problem, then I will move to small parts, and then I will learn more muscle finally is skeleton, just my way not sure it is useful to you, keep up the exercises you are improving clearly

Last edited by openanewworld; March 30th, 2008 at 10:37 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to openanewworld For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here is another update. I think some of these may be repeats but there are some changes made. Like with the previous post, had to take the pics with my cell phone, so...yeah...

CookieDough: Thanks a ton for the comments. I do try to improve and hopefully you'll see that in my coming updates. I'm still plugging away! :p
    Hyver: Yeah, those skulls. I'll draw those today. Promise. Probably won't update later today, but those skulls will be drawn. Thanks for stopping by and giving me encouragement.
    Jorge Gecov: Thanks for the comment! I'll try to take a look over at Mentler's SB and see what he has going on. I erase my construction lines as I go through the sketch, so you'll probably never see them.
    qwck: I have those somewhere, but I think I need to get them again. Thanks for the info!
    DanielC: Damn you and your logic. Haha, yeah man, I need to get those damn lines down. I'll continue to work on those and get some more head studies done. (what the fuck is up with that?!!!?!)
    Fishspawn: Thanks for stopping by! I see you're still going on strong as well. Keep doing it!
    BohemianChaos: What are you talking about? lol. All I do is reference and they still come out looking deformed lol I think that I need to shut one part of my mind off and rock out that way. THANKS!
    openanewworld: Wow, you came by. I almost fainted when I saw your avatar! lol jk. But yeah, I'm waiting to move up to perspective and action poses. Gotta get a better understanding of the human figure before I can successfully do some more complex poses. Thanks a ton for topping by too!

Sketches:

Attached Images Attached Images                

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man! Just reading through your thread, and pretty much every thing that needs to be said, has been said. Ill try to suggest a couple things. You say your trying to learn the human figure/ the best thing you could do right now is drop the rendering, and prefect line work, and start focusing on the understructure of the human, with fast gestures and loose line work don't be afraid to get messy.. Skull, clavicles. scapula, Ribcage, Pelvis, etc learn the bones. It will help with your proportion of your drawings check out the loomis figure drawing on proportions and read what he has to say about it. Once you understand what you are doing wrong, you start to pick out your mistakes earlier. Drawing is more observation then any thing. Alot of your drawings are missing the basic structure, proportion, placement, perspective, form. Loomis five P's and five c's. These basic things are what make up a good drawing. Look over your drawings and see how they play a factor through out them, and if not what are they missing and why. Always ask your self questions does this looks right? why, or why not. What can i do to better this? If others looks at this drawing will they see it in the same light as i see it? If you don't see your mistakes flip it backwards, look at in a mirror, scan it in and look at it. Have you ever read the book Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain? They have an exercise in there where you draw you subject backwards so your eye is not taking in all the details but the big forms give this a try and see what happens.

1: Proportion: The three dimensions

2: Placement: A position in space

3: Perspective: relationship of viewpoint to subject

4: Planes: Surface appearance as defined by light and shadow.

5: Pattern: The deliberate arrangement of tones of the subject

1: Conception: A rough of an idea

2: Construction: An attempt to establish the forms from life or basic knowledge

3: Contour: The limits of forms in space, according to viewpoint

4: Character: The specific qualities of individual units of your subject in light

5: Consistency: All the essentials of construction, lighting, and pattern organized as a unit

Last edited by seth1; April 2nd, 2008 at 04:05 PM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to seth1 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, read through the last couple page of your sketchbook and see that you have already got some great advice from people on the forums. One thing I'll like to add if it hasn't been said already is massing as well as seeing in planes, and I think seeing the figures in simple forms and shapes will help you. Here's a link to Hale's Master Class in Figure Drawing where he talks about it. Flip a few pages in to massing on the rib cage. I think Bridgman's Complete Guide to drawing from life also mentions it, not sure though. Hope this helps. http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/reader/08...44#reader-page

8. The Following User Says Thank You to EvilBunny For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey stark! Youve improved 10 fold since page 1 - its insane! Keep the studying up and your be great in no time Exellent studys man, keep it up

10. The Following User Says Thank You to corza334 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Last update is tits man. I cant believe it.....stark is shading! Movin on up dude. Great to see the progress.

The portrait thing is workin out great btw hahaha....but thanks for he advice bud. Wow, we both have 67 mustangs huh....small world. Hang onto yours man, no matter what shape its in....classics are the shit imo. You got good taste!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to MrBobMarley For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sorry no replies. Leaving for Marine basic training soon i.e tomorrow (Sunday), so I'm just doing this little pathetic upload. Haven't been doing too much art lately, with running around getting my affairs in order before I leave and working like a fuckin slave at Radio Shack. So yeah, just....have fun and thanks for stopping by. See ya guys in a couple months!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Pretty cool stuff stark, you're really piling up the pages. Keep it up mate. =]

"Even a stopped clock, gets the right time twice a day."
    >>My Sketchbook<<
    >>My Homepage<<

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    quite some improvements on your body anatomy, keep it up!

the face/portraits seem to lack a study of proportions, and features seem tossed together in a heap, perhaps using a proportion/shape lines/guide before putting details on a face might help.

all the best to your joining the Marines, may you have lots of new levelling XP! and bring a supply of sketchbooks along with you

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Stark, first and foremost, I hope you're doing well so far in your training with marines and that you're having some shits and giggles atleast, your hard work will pay off! and hopefully it'll shed light on new things you want to do, but regarding your artwork, the reason why everybody is stressing the importance of proportion and shape is because you are reverting back to drawing the contours and symbols you see on the form, contours and symbols being that figment of our imagination that is a 'line' or 'simple flat shape' around a real object or form, such as outside the body of a person, or someones eye, but if you take a good look, its nothing like that at all, same goes for the head of a person, do not concern yourself with making a pretty shaded-in drawing! its not a race to who can make the most 'realistic' drawing the fastest, there will always be bigger fish in that regard, so spend the time in understanding what you are drawing in the first place, as seth1 touched on earlier, think about the shapes that make up the human figure, simple shapes like cylinders, spheres and cubes (re: not rectangles, circles and squares, they'er two different things!).

One thing I can suggest now is at the beginning of every life drawing study page, write something to remind you every time you delve back into contours, to think of the shapes (cylinders, spheres, cubes) that you can break down the human form down into, and put them into a perspective space from your point of view, it doesn't have to be exactly accurate, you'd be extremely lucky or extremely good otherwise!, likely the former, as your specific point of view at the time was that of your own and noone elses, so even if it was accurate, it probably wouldn't read as accurate to joe bloggs sitting next to you! This same thing can be applied to portraits/faces aswell. So keep at it, its tough but you're on the verge of getting it.

Good luck mate.

Singapore , An microbe infestation of asians
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi stark , just dropping by from pluto , and looking through some of your progress which looks pretty positive here , but i think i should just lay down some of my thoughts in how you can still progress indefinitely , i felt the referenced pieces you use for practices are slightly off in proportion and accuracy , now i find it very important to nail those proportions and ignoring your perception of form. Its hard to get a clean slate from what your mind thinks it already know , but yea ,being aware helps!
    And ps.My punctuation mark is remarkably exotic , as i said , i am from pluto.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have to say youve made good progress...but i have two criticisms...In all of your sketches...your shadows are to harsh.Especially on skin, the face has a glow to it, and shadows are genrally not as harsh as you put them. My second criticism is your faces. You seem to use the same general face(s).And your faces seem to not have enough curvature and personality in them. Other than that, your anatomy is getting pretty good and you have really good hand studies..way better than mine.

View My Sketchbook!(Crits are needed)(Looking for a mentor)
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=141481

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    deadred -
    Hyptosis - THANKS!
    MrBobMarley - Shut up foo! How about you update more often! HAHA! Thanks for coming through big guy...just need to catch up :/
    corza334 -
    EvilBunny - THanks!
    seth1 - Thanks for stopping by! I've been gone for some time but I've learned a lot from everyone on the site. I think I've taken your words to heart and tried to apply them...hope I succeeded!
    Bigstayter - My faces do suck! Haha, I do studies of faces that I find online or of people I randomly see. I don't try to keep the curvature of the face if there is one feature that is striking to me, though I've started wanting to keep them more. The shading is more than likely a result of the bad quality with which I use to update this thing. Thanks for the kind words though.
    damienflux - Thanks for coming by! Yeah my accuracy drops when I'm going for something specific or when there is an idea that I just want to get down. But you are right about proportion. Think I'm getting the hang of it though.
    worxe - True what you said about the shapes. I think of shapes when I do most of my work now, though I think my shading is hiding that view. Thanks for stopping by!

Wow...been a while huh? Well, I'm updating now and this tiny bunch isn't all that I've done. Just got tired of the camera/scanner I was using. I'll try to keep a steady update for the next few days before I ship out to Japan. Once there I'll do some more updating! Sorry for the poor quality.
    And we keep spinning
    And we keep spinning
    And we keep spinning
    And we keep spinning
    And we keep spinning
    And we keep spinning
    And we keep spinning
    And we keep spinning
    And we keep spinning
    And we keep spinning
    And we keep spinning
    And we keep spinning
    And we keep spinning
    And we keep spinning
    And we keep spinning
    And we keep spinning

Last edited by Stark; May 5th, 2009 at 03:42 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,101 Times in 491 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Keep studying..never loose the motivation!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Finally got the links above working. Can't believe I just thought of this.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,014 Times in 376 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    keep it up, and be well

In the future, everyone will have 15 minutes of privacy.

Portfolio
    Sketchblog
    Facebook art page

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looks like pretty nice progression throughout your posts. Maybe a bit more focus here and there, but I won't crit specifically unless you want, plus I'm pretty sure most people have it covered. Keep It up.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Verehin - Thanks for the kind words and for stopping by.
    Squiddie - Thanks for the words. I'm doing what I can
    Izer - Feel free to say what you need to in order for me to become better. All crits are taken with a grain of salt and much consideration.

Here are a couple pages of sketches that I've done since my last update and since I arrived in Japan. I'm still working on most of them to get them near a finished stage but most are done, just waiting for the Photoshop treatment. I'll try to keep this as regular as possible...need to find a laptop. :/

And we keep spinning
    And we keep spinning
    And we keep spinning
    And we keep spinning
    And we keep spinning
    And we keep spinning
    And we keep spinning
    And we keep spinning
    And we keep spinning
    And we keep spinning
    And we keep spinning
    And we keep spinning
    And we keep spinning
    And we keep spinning
    And we keep spinning
    And we keep spinning
    And we keep spinning
    And we keep spinning
    And we keep spinning
    And we keep spinning

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    would it kill you to rotate the scans????

more reffed studies...blahblahblah I've said it all before.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'd say the biggest single thing that might help your art is construction, a systematic approach to everything you make.

For heads: start with a circle and draw all construction lines for aligning features in the face.

Digital Painting | v8ART.net
    Visit my Blog for a Crazy Adventure down the Art lane - v8ART

Best educational digital art blog ever - Ctrl+Paint

Pillage & Plunder - Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You are putting a lot of effort in drawing but im wondering where you want to go with your art? i dont want to sound negative but i dont see much improvement in your drawings... as said before, you could try to concentrate more on construction of shapes, and i would advise to vary in drawing from imagination and drawing from ref.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, it seems to take me a long time to update this damn thing huh? Well, here is one right now. Small update, just showing my rendering and seeing if I'm improving at all. I keep trying to take into account the crits and comments that you all leave here, hopefully it shows. More to come soon.

Texahol: I know, I know. I am a dookie-head.
    Vigilandus: Thanks for stopping by and I hope my construction has improved.
    Teh Gosu: I don't know where my art is going to take my either. My focus with art is geared towards Architecture, so that is.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    sweeet! you updated! try not to get too scratchy with the lines in your sketches man. keeeeep goin!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice progression!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hmm, another update? This is getting awesome. Time here in Japan is ridiculous and I'm not even using it to the best I can. I need to buckle down, turn off the PS3 and get to work. Found a laptop in the garbage the other day, so maybe I can get it work and get my digital on? Been looking at a bunch of sketchbooks and finished pieces and realized I'm not progressing as much as I thought I was. Need to keep putting that pencil to the paper and going strong. Practice will only carry you as far as you want it to.

midknight523:Thanks for stopping by!
    Dished:Sure thing and thanks. I'll keep them coming as often as possible. Will try to get more production out of my mind and try to catch up to you.

The last couple are from the brand new SB I just popped open the other day. Some are obvious WIPs, so any suggestions would be nice. And thank you for looking.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just another update. A little bit of time in between, but oh well. Been out of it for the past couple of weeks, so this is an embarrassing little dump. There's more art, but I kind of want to finish them a bit more before posting. Thanks for looking.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man, lots of drawing I see. I think it's a bit redundant to repeat what others say, but I think construction would definitely help your work! A good way to start out is a perspective plane--if you're doing architecture, this should be easy business. Draw boxes, buildings, ellipses, etc. etc., and practice lighting them. Here's a good thread for setting goals like these for yourself. Good luck, and to negate what others said, I think you are improving. Keep studying!

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Jaytea For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,473 Times in 722 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Yes... I love going into a sketchbook and finding lots of studies! Keep it up man. One thing I can suggest is that you could be studying with even more purpose than you already are. Find some free Loomis, sit down and chisel away at it... it's tedious, but you'll progress faster than if you're drawing mostly from imagination. Which isn't to say stop drawing from imagination... that's an important thing to practice as well.

36. The Following User Says Thank You to Ian Barker For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man, hope the military thing is going ok for you. You have a ton of studies, getting better slowly. I think what might help you tho, is to do some finished pieces, really pushing how far you can take something. From personal experience, when I tried this, I noticed jumps from piece to piece, not from 80 pieces. If you're doing a study off of ref, put in the time to make it as exact as you can, the piece itself might not be what you want, but you'll be much better able to spot your mistakes in future drawings. Heh, I've erased holes in paper before trying to get stuff right. Hope that helps, good to see you motivated.

S S G 2 9
    -Fishspawn-Blue Severin- rayk-

You're an artist, not a meat camera. -Elwell

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice ideas, try to work on the line weight and when you draw people consentrate on the shape

Tim

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 2