Sketchbook: And we keep spinning - Page 2

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sorry for the lack of updates. I was waiting until I "filled" up enough so that you all had something to look at. Nothing spectacular but I feel better with my strokes now. I'm gonna try to get about 5-10 pages done this weekend..we'll see how that goes!

Attached Images Attached Images        
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    your lines are looking tons better but still need some work, keep up the drawings,copule of things to point out your eyes are looking a bit big (5 eyes should fit onto the face) and on the hands dont be so hard on the lines for the wrinkles.
    hope i helped james

idelwise pirate my sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sorry for the quality....I didn't realize that they would turn out soo bright on here.

guitarjames - Do you mean the entire face should have 5 eyes or just 3 across and two vertical?

I'll try to make better quality scans next time...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like seeing lots of work. Keep working on those heads proportions. (and to answer your question of guitarjames its 5 eyes across.)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    He means 5 eyes across.
    Also i noticed you put the amount of time it took for each drawing. Dont worry about time at this point. Just try to get the proportions down with quick single strokes (your last page shows alot of improvement with that). Keep at it

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    sweetoblivion314 - The time is for that exact purpose. If I can get the time it takes to make a drawing, and for the quality to be good, then my strokes are more decisive and it works for me....<---dunno if that made any sense

fishspawn - Will do with the heads...that is killing me horribly

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hello ...here i my point of view ...try to do a standard porportion of a human face...and do from the basic from various skull position to anatomy ...continue drawing and u will improve!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You should pick up "Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain" by Betty Edwards if you haven't yet already. It's a really good book that has helped a lot of people with seeing/drawing. Other than that, keep practicing, lots of good advice around here. As for that hand and the sphere in your last post, try to watch out for shading things in one solid color, it'll make it look flat. You can learn from studies like the egg you did, there's always (highlight?), light, shadow, core shadow, and cast shadow if I'm not mistaken. Anyway keep up the good work!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great to see you are progressing, man! Your lines are much more better now. Keep it up. And yes, "Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain" is a "must have" book.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'll third Right Side of the Brain. I always get frustrated with that book halfway through and never finish, but I'd like to see what you can do with contour drawings.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just a few from ye ole sketchbook. I was going to wait until I had a massive update but I thought this would suffice. I am currently feeling like I am progressing more rapidly than I expected. I will respond to everyone's comments tomorrow once I get some sleep. I'll be doing a ton of anatomy studies just because I need to work on those...

Have fun

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yo. I'd actually like to see a small update every day instead of waiting for a bigger update. That way we can crit every day and you can learn more from each one. But thats just me. I see your lines are kinda scratchy. Try going over them in pen and not picking it up. That will help you feel the contour more and then your confidence will improve and you can just get the line right the first time. My favorite is actually that leg you crossed out - because the lines are more confident. Keep practicing~

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    sonboss - Will do. I'll try it out tonight
    runtosaurus - I'll see if I can find it anywhere. I think I saw it at my uni library a while back. Funny thing is today my architecture teacher mentioned it. I giggled inside. I'll fix that shading...I was tired (I think) when I did that one.
    Ulver - Thanks for stopping by bro! Thanks for the encouragement!
    Zarett - I think I got it now, lol. Thanks for stopping by
    Fishspawn - Alright, alright. Let me get some pages done and I'll upload around midnight tonight. Dang! I think the shitty quality of my scans make mjy lines look much more worse than they really are. I'll try to reduce the size and see if they makes them better.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here is some more sketches. I'm trying to get more sketches done daily and weekly so I can keep you all entertained. I can't fix the crappy quality of the scans so....I'm sorry. My pencil lines are not as bad as the damn scans make them, so if you could believe that, then wonderful!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like the page of stick figures. On both faces the eyes are way to big, and on the profile they are too far back. You might want to work on drawing all of the muscles in the face before you start rendering them - you learn more from their placement than how they are shaded. Um, yeah, i like the daily thing going on in here. Keep it up

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanx for posts in my sb, man! Your stick figures look good, and that rendered muscles piece is also well done. Great to see you`re working on your line - it`s getting cleaner now. But pay more attention to basic head construction when you start drawing, proportions and perspective. And don`t forget about drawing from life - it will help you to improve your line faster than you think. Keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, looks like you've been busy Try to keep the pace and draw lots, you're improving already. A little advice: watch those eyes an ear sizes on the last batch.
    Cheers

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hmm, yeah, you're definitely improving. Try to see the faces as 3d objects, especially the eye area. The last face you drew has a flat eye in it. When I wanted to understand faces better, I practiced a lot of 3/4 views. If you've got a Loomis (haha everybody should have one), he breaks down the face into planes.

S S G 2 9
    -Fishspawn-Blue Severin- rayk-

You're an artist, not a meat camera. -Elwell

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    fishspawn- Thanks. I'll try to be more mindful next time. Unfortunately, I don't a good reference book anymore to draw from anymore, so I'll have to find something online.

Ulver- thanks for stopping by. Now that I'm back home, I have a wealth of life to draw from and plan on making the most of my time back here.

fedezz - I have been busy :p Being back home has given me some relaxation time and I want to keep going. I'll take that advice.

Well, I'm back home and that means no scanner anywhere in sight. :o So, when I finally get somewhere with a scanner, I'll have an assload to show everyone so I hope you have time to crit properly. Thanks for coming by and helping me grow as a concept artist! See you guys next time eh?

Blue Severin - Just caught your reply. :p I'll see what I can do. I'm going to be forced to draw from my fractured memory on proper 3/4 views so it'll be horrible for a hot second. I've got time and plenty of pages, so you'll see tons of that.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great progress. Anatomy ftw. Keep Rolling man, practice really does make perfect. Constant drawing and updating are definately a good thing.
    Will keep an eye out on your progress.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i can see improvment but watch the eyes in the poartraits and watch the proportions on the stick figuers on a couple of them u have the arms to long etc. so watch the perspectrive on the faces
    james

idelwise pirate my sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Keep it up mate! I like the Hogarth ref lips and nose some ways up, and the last two guys in post 31. Do more quicksketches and try to find proportion! You also need to work more on facial and head shape. IMO don't think to much about line confidence, it will come to you as you progress and draw more.

No pain, no gain.

Sketchblog
    Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What happened to your updates?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Fishspawn I moved home where I have no scanner or digicam where I can update. But I have been sketching quite frequently some models I found over at characterdesigns.com and will get those uploaded here ASAP. I have also some random images but alot from life and the sort. The new member rayk should help you all look pass me

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Aww we can never look past you, when do you get back to updatesville?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I should be back to "updatesville" soon. I have a friend who has a scanner and I'll start uploading once we get the internets hooked up. I haven't sketched a lick since I've been back in my hometown, so I'll have to do a bunch of mass sketches to make up for it.

My sis has a cat now, so I think I'll try my hand at some animal studies here in a bit and also some life studies from here. I have a bunch of friends and their family members who I can use for my life studies I also have a new car which I want to sketch and make possible models for...we'll see how that goes :p

But in short, I haven't forgotten this place and I hope to be able to make frequent visits here when I get some stable internet access. See the group soon and KEEP SKETCHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sketchgroup friendly reminder UPDATE!

S S G 2 9
    -Fishspawn-Blue Severin- rayk-

You're an artist, not a meat camera. -Elwell

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    don't know if your still visiting but nice SB anyway. The studies seem to be helping a lot. keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    HUGE UPDATE!!!!!!!!!!! I finally have a way to upload my new sketches! I'll be making regular updates, about every week or so, I'll try to give you all 5 pages of quality garbage! These are rather old, but it'll do for now. So, without further ado...here I am...LOVE ME!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I thought the drawings looked familiar...I also have that same anatomy book, by Stephen Rogers Peck...that must be who you're thinking of. It's a great book teaches you a lot about anatomy and proportions, though the latter I still need to work on. Look in other magazines and books where they show good body forms and poses as well as tones and shadows.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 2