C.O.W. - #051: Leaf Riders

Round #051

Topic:
    Leaf Riders

Deadline:
    Sunday, 02nd July 2006

- for any questions or help go here:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=37512

note: The deadline won't be EXACTLY after a week...it can last up to 24 hours more, i am human and have to work also, you know

Post your creature for this week!

Last edited by Fozzybar; July 3rd, 2006 at 03:28 AM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanx to Nexus for the topic idea!

And now shake the tree of your brain and let's see what rides on your leafs of creativity...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Alright I got crackin' Here is my piece (FINAL):

Alright got something I'm happy with

Description: The color and shape of the frog-like creature helps disguise itself among the falling leaves. It hops from one to the next catching unaware insects one by one!

Last edited by FunkytownP; June 28th, 2006 at 03:36 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Shut up and get crackin'!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Unfortunately, I am going to have to pull myself out of this weeks COW. I've upset a few people over in CHOW by basing a new painting over an old drawing and its causing a bit of a stink with respect to the rules. As the rules here are much the same and my entry for this week was in fact based on an old sketch, I am in violation of the "new art only" rule and must remove my entry. The principle is the same for both activities. I apologize for misunderstanding and wasting everyones time.

Last edited by Michael Jaecks; June 30th, 2006 at 12:22 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's mine...

These little Insects known as 'Leaf Riders' are very intelligent creatures. They have limited means of transportation, 6 clumsy legs which can't support their large bodies for walking(their legs are useful for climbing though). The Leaf Riders have been studying man and our ways of transportation. They have used objects found in nature to construct a device to go from a high area to ground level quickly and safely.

Last edited by Migsta; July 2nd, 2006 at 05:51 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't know how I'm going to do this. Hmm.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by sp00t
    I don't know how I'm going to do this. Hmm.
    me neither. I see a dozen of caterpillars and wave riding bugs in the future poll

@beamus
    that looks human-like to me

look, what I've got

Last edited by Zeitwolf; June 26th, 2006 at 05:58 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Heh, wow never thought Id see the day that I came up with the topic for the week. Good fortune aside I think that since I thought of the topic I should get off my ass and return to pumping out a weekly brainstorm. They seemed to help for the most part.

Brainstorm:
    Ok well to begin with I can see where Zeitwolf is coming from. Bugs using leaves as boats is definitely something that comes to mind. However the challenge of CoW is to modify current nature or come up with something completely new. If you do a nautical insect using a leaf ship then give it some interesting twist. Maybe the bug sucks in and forces water out of its body like a jet ski and uses the leaf for flotation purposes. Perhaps the creatures are intelligent enough to create large leaf boats using natural adhesives produced within their bodies and they have their entire colony afloat much like a house boat. There are a million different possiblities for leaves as watercraft.

However water is not the only option of course. My inital thought was something airbased. Think Silver Surfer but a creature. Leaves come in thousands of different shapes. There are even some that are shaped like the blades on a fan and they spiral like little helicopters when they fall. Plus you always have the option of creating an alien species which brings in the opportunity to come up with alien plant species. You could have a creature that floats with an alien parachute leaf or a leaf that contains a lighter than air gas so it acts like a blimp. A little research would go a long way in this case as far as plant species go. The best designs in my opinion are those influenced to an extent by the nature around us.

Regardless of whether the leaf transport happens on air, land, or water something to be particularly careful of is having a plausible means of controlling the leaf. Any creature small enough can hitch a ride on a falling leaf and this is why the leaf rider is special. It doesnt just hang on for dear life. It actually utilizes the leaf to travel around. So consider means or propulsion, control, etc. Ive said it dozens of times, good concepts make strong images.

Beamus-
    I like where its going but Im gonna have to agree with the others that its close to being human. Id say give it hands like the feet, instead of 4 fingers give it 2 large ones and maybe a thumb. Also maybe alter the exoskeleton so it doesnt look so much like human musculature in the torso.

Zeitwolf- Nothing wrong with floating bugs but for your final Id try to make them look less like ladybugs and more like an original insect. Also take a gander at the brainstorm above concerning water insect travel.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 417 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I didnt have time to finish this one, so no final from me

I dont think it even has to be limited to actually riding a leaf. "Leaf Rider" could be a clolorful term natives use to describe the way said creature looks or acts. It could be the way it move, or some sort of natural camoflauge.

Here's a WIP

Now comes the part I fear....letting go of the line art and painting over it.

The legs produce a adhesive to stabalize its placement on the leaf, while the tendrils provide control of flight pattern. Shortly before reaching its target the legs and tendrils shred the leaf giving it the necessary velocity to delver its venom. A two part system in which the tendrils deliver a neuraltoxin, while the claws deliver a powerful venom. Once the prey is digested; the energy gained is utilized to produce more venom, to regenerate tendrils undoubtably lost in the fray, and to feed the body so that it may make the journey back up the tree to hunt again

Last edited by Hookswords; July 2nd, 2006 at 01:13 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great topis…I hope I will have time for this one….here are two quick sketches of main.

First idea: These Insects/spiders can walk on the water surface. They hunt for fishes with the webs and when the mating time came, they surf to impress the females.

REFRUSTUS
    These insects live on planet Pacifia-4, which surface is covered in 80% with oceans and seas. They live in small groups and walking on the water surface hunt on small fishes. To catch the pray they use webs similar to the spiders'. When the mating time comes, they try to attract the females. They catch the falling leafs putting together with webs use them as the sails. The best surfers usually have the most of females.

Second idea {I think I will make this one}: These non-flying butterflies are living on few islands and because they can’t fly, they use water to transport their eggs between islands – to keep the genes mixing. They build small bouts form the leafs.

MY FINAL
    BZZZYK
    These huge non-flying butterflies live on the archipelago Kauui. Because they can't fly and inhabit small islands they had to learn how to survive. When the mating calls, they build small boats form the K'a's leafs and put fertilized eggs in. Boats with offspring in eggs float on the ocean reaching occasional island. In this way they can survive and be sure that their genes mix inside their species.

Last edited by JakkaS; July 2nd, 2006 at 06:04 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I know I don't have alot of senority around here but as beautiful as Funkytown and Neo's peices are, they both seem rather "humanoid."

Also, I guess i'd really like to know how many people are actually going to do a insect oriented piece. I'm thinking in aspects of scale and practicality it seems only natural for an insect to posses "leaf riding" abilities. Can anyone think of any other pratical use for another species to ride a leaf other that transportation?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, I don't have much seniority either, truth be told. but, I think mine incorporates a lot of different things. I also don't think something has to walk on all fours to be a creature, necessarily.

BTW, thanks for saying its beautiful, despite its faults. I'm temporarily unemployed, so I have a little time on my hands lately. The stomach suffers, but the art benefits.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Aye, there's the rub. Maybe something that doesn't fall in an Earth-based category, or is a mix of two categories? Bug-lizard cross for instance?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    BeamUs: Thanks. Yeah, he's building. There will be an insert at the bottom with a little picture of one rafting. That's not done yet though.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very nice topic and cool ideas guys!

JakkaS: Leaf Surfer ?! haha, crazy idea, I like it

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thx guys for comments. I know first idea is more crazy/fun but I think this creature is too humanoid [isn’t FOZZ?]…..btw, sometimes you think too much guys….let it be spontaneous….the topic is leaf rider so it suggest that leafs should be some kind of transport….stop thinking and paint something

Cheers
    Kuba

Rawwad, BeamUs – thx guys!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    all right I'm calling dibs on this one. I'm forcing myself to turn in an entry this week.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, I have to agree with JakkaS that you should really let the topic take you where it takes you. Its got a really whimsical, fanciful ring to it this week. It really can go anywhere.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I agree yet again BeamUs! I'm very happy with everything in the piece except for the creatures. I plan on doing some more work with this and either refining them or swapping them out. I wanted to avoid the bug thing and go with something more whimsical, perhaps I can still get that feeling across with some modifications.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey! where's the picture upload thread for the Chow's here?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Main Loop
    hey! where's the picture upload thread for the Chow's here?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    well here's my entry:

These rodents take in air as they jump from branch to branch, inflating themselves enough to float to their destination. The youngn's air pouches arent developed enough to be able to float like their mothers, so they are carried in a makeshift "basket" of leaves in which they ride. the mothers then use their hind feet to land.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Main Loop: Sweeeet!!! Very cute and on track to be a winner!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,102 Times in 781 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    cute! i want one of those in a cage.

oo... this topic is fun, i hope i remember to enter. :o

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Damn Funkytownp did you do that in 20 mins or did you no the topic before this forum started?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Clintmilne
    Damn Funkytownp did you do that in 20 mins or did you no the topic before this forum started?
    Hehe, no, I wish I was that fast! I just edited the pic into a post I already had.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.