Sketchbook: [How I learned to stop worrying and love to draw] 12/21 Comic and promo work - Page 4

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Chiko, you've updated a lot since I last visited.

The first pic in #89, not sure what's going on with the girl's legs on the left side... too much distance between them at the crotch. Legs are too thin and one of them looks like it was broken badly multiple times! On this page and on the third one in #85 there is some issue with proportions. Maybe it's the model who's posing for you but the legs are too thin and long in general, it doesn't look very good to me or erotic which I think is what you're going for...

Now the good stuff: the first sketch in #85 is awesome. Also the sequence of paintings with the girl and the guy in the background in #82 looks promising but you seem to have dropped the guy once you started painting over the sketch... looks a bit kinky with those chains

About your shading: as someone above said you just have to take the time. I have the reverse problem you have which I think is really a bigger problem... I tend to shade too much and forget working on form/proportions. My shading is excellent but at the end it gets undone because of not doing my homework before I go crazy on the shading.

Secondly, I think you're being a bit harsh saying you suck at it. Not having the patience and sucking are two entirely different things.

Also you didn't specify if you're concentrating on shading with pencil or digital. There are some really nifty tools/techniques you can use when shading digitally. I'm going to point you to a thread by one of my digital heroes on cgtalk in case you're using photoshop, you should try some of these approaches:

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=259286

At the very top you can branch off to other really good threads too, but read the first 10 pages of this one and you'll get some really interesting ideas. Hope this helps bro.

Niva's Links: Sketchbook | Eternal Seven Website
    Doomsday Dream Clan Artists: Clanlord | Headhunter
    Team CHOW III: Doomsday Dream Clan
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    2nd Layer of Hell, where the lustful blow to and fro
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    bbwolf- I don't draw enough! I feel lazy since I don't have an update here everyday! I've been playing Okami and been busy with work !!

I need to keep improving because right now I am nowhere near an acceptable level for myself :/ I stink! Need to keep improving!! Thanks for the comment though, I do love colors. I've been told I need to get away from "autumn" colors and experiment with more schemes.

N1va- thanks so much for your reply! And THANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOU for that link! that is an amazing tutorial!!!! Though I don't think I have quite the same workflow, the info in there is awesome.
    Thank you for the crits to! I know exactly what you mean. The leg does look broken. In fairness to me, I was recommended Luba to draw life stuff from, -->http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luba_Shumeyko and she is extremly skinney!
    I need alot of work on shading with a pencil I think before I should move up to digital stuff. Though I'm greedy and want to be awesome at both!

Need to work hard now and draaaaaaawwwwwwww

Last edited by Chiko; December 10th, 2006 at 05:52 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    man! I really need to get back to work and draw!

[How I learned to stop worrying and love to draw] 12/21 Comic and promo work

All I have now is this. Hopefully I'll get my moleskin sketchbook soon and I'll get to work even more. heheh

Merry christmas everyone!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey! Thanks for stopping by my sb, Chiko. I love your works in color and you've got a nice balance of life studies and color practices. Keep it up. Nice taste in movies, btw, have you seen Little Miss Sunshine yet?

SSG 37The Show Must Go On!
    | Bard |

| My Sketchbook |

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ho Ho Ho, absolutely ultra stuff over here.
    The last Merry Xmas Pic is so cute, I love it.
    Nice character design - I visit entire galery and I must say, that great improvment you make in so short period of time. Nice

-- Be not afraid of growing slowly, be afraid only of standing still. --
    -- My New Not So Sick but Yet Sick Sketchbook is here! --

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Matsign
    Hey! Thanks for stopping by my sb, Chiko. I love your works in color and you've got a nice balance of life studies and color practices. Keep it up. Nice taste in movies, btw, have you seen Little Miss Sunshine yet?

NO! I wanted to see that movie so bad when it was out! Now I need to get the dvd because I really want to see it!!

Saise- Thanks for the comment !!

I think you are right, when I look at my work from only three months ago I go "UGGG" I've come along way,l but I still have long to go.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hope everyone had a good new years.
    Here are just a few new sketchbook pages. I didn't get alot of time during the holidays to draw. Lots of running holiday arrangments to attend too hehe.

I would, however like to recount a story of something that happend to me two days ago while I was drawing in a restaurant. I was waiting for a friend to pick me up, and while I had time to spare I was sketching away, and had many people come up and commend my drawing ability. One person was this little boy named Robert. He even drew me a picture, see?
    Now one thing I love doing, is drawing pictures for kids, because it really makes them happy. So I asked him what he wanted me to draw him, his favorite cartoon character, Disney, video game? Anything.

His answer shocked me.

He asked if I could draw him a picture of 50 cent holding a gun. I almost broke down and cried right then and there. Maybe my ideals are wrong....but I think a child of 5 or 6 idolizing a rapper is just...so wrong. I mean, what is the media doing to children, that they idolize people like this? When I was 6 my hero was bugs bunny. I wanted everything bugs. Oh and jasmine from Aladdin. I'm not one who's completly against violence. I love me a good Tarentino flick, but I just feel that children should have better idols..I feel like our society is forcing children to grow up sooner and sooner.

Sorry for the tangent, it's just something that rather upset me and that I have hardly any control over.

Attached Images Attached Images        

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Chiko. Seems like your studies and painting are really improving. Keep it up, i can see lots of improvement.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    lovage is a dope album, i take it that is what you are refering the title of this thread to? anyway like many others im not a big fan of mainstream anime but you show strength at what you do. a few of your finished renders really stand out bcuz of your use of lighting, particularly in that last one of the dude looking over at the sunset. u seem to capture emotion/gestures pretty well whether its anime or realism. it would be nice to see some more life drawings. i do like the last set of cartoony drawings, although they look anime influenced they have more character and feel to them than a lot of what is out right now. the more u can stylize it and add your own twist the more people will come to appreciate it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You digitals are starting to come along nicely with those last few, make sure you keep your studies up, without those, no one can get anywhere.

m

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thank you for showing me your work it's really inspirational, I;ve ony started drawing a week ago, although, I had been attending life drawing classes but apathy stop me producing anything, now I can't stop. I love anime and love the stuff you do

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey some good stuff. and good progress.

Last edited by SantaClaus; January 3rd, 2007 at 04:19 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    your stuff looks really good so far, i think you need to vary your lineweight more in your digital pieces. it will help the pieces "pop" more.

Blog: My Blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    j a k e - Thanks man! I'm trying. I guess I'm improving a bit, but I know I have a long way to go.

kawakaze - Hahah yes! I love lovage, great album! Tis indeed where I got my title from. Actually, that's supposed to be a girl looking over the sunset, but I blame myself for not defining it enough. Definitly need more anatomy practice. Thanks for the comment!

magicman- Yes, my goal is to get my butt in gear and do at least 1 new sketchbook page a day. So far I always miss a day here and there due to work and life, but I'm trucking along. Like the tortise heh.

glenslaw - no prob daddi-o. If I can help one person to get confidence in themselves and pickup something they love, then I'll be doing alright.

santaclaus- message from the big redman himself! heh thanks for the comment!

themissinglink - Thanks for the advice! I think that's exactly my problem right there. I have alot of trouble with line quality. I'll tweak it a bit a bit and see how I can fix it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello there everyone, beena long time since I last updated. I haven't stopped sketching, just been too busy with work to post anything.

Here's a few sketches today. One piece I'm working on, trying to get the composition down. I like Fairly oddparents, I watch it everyday, heheh.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You have improved a lot!But try to make some tits studies!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...1&d=1161669508
    Looove this one! So good!
    Fine improvement, keep it up! They will know you by the trail of dead.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello all!

Camara- thank you for the advice! I am doing some more breast studies, you'd think having them I'd know how to draw them better. hhahaha

I've been working on a few other pieces here and there. The fairly oddparent's piece isn't anything too serious, just something for fun. I could use some critique on the amazon girl.

Been working on my 3D girl too, check it out if you want.

I've done alot of sketching but haven't had time to scan them in, once I do i'll post

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    big ol' sketchdump. Not much to say except I'm finally realizing what a long way I have to go :0 Especially in learning anatomy.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you are show great improvement with every post. I think the anime style gets a bad rep around here because some people use it as a crutch to draw without studying the figure. But if you can draw the figure well and do it in the anime style, what the hell, do it. Draw what you like to draw to keep drawing fun, put in the hard work to improve(anatomy/life), and don't do anything that will hold you back from improving(confining yourself to one subject or style).

I really like this one, i think you should put more time into it! you've inspired me to create a character with an umbrella lol. http://conceptart.org/forums/attachm...1&d=1162163623
    Thanks for stopping by my sketchbook!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey!!That one of the girl reading El Quijote is very good!!!But she should be veeeeery bored because the book itself is so boring!!!!

Great SB,man!!Keep posting!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    factorzero- thanks for the comment! The thing is, I'm really, really trying to get away from anime art. I spent way to long doing nothing but it. I still want something stylized, and not hyper real, but I really want my work to be distiguishable from anime. I'm really practicing my anatomy, but i guess I have some more work with the faces...

camara hahha thank you! but I love that novel! Don quixote is great! Now the counte of monte crisco....that put me to sleep...

Just some sketches today...mostly quick doodles and a painting practice...let me know if I'm doing good or bad here!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice update. the last one is especially good. you've got great ideas but it seems the forms of your characters is usually hit or miss(i got the same problem). Try to evaluate the way you 'build' your characters before putting in the details. Find a method of getting the correct forms down more consistently. i would suggest looking at other artist line work and study how they sketch and find a method that works for you.

creative stuff Chiko. i look forward to seeing more stuff from you.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    just two tonight before I pass out.
    They're not very good, but if i get a laugh or two, my work is done

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    whoops! guess i lied, here's one more.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hmm some more sketches and works I've been doing. Using my face for expression sheet is fun.

Kids pretending they're superheros, and some really ugly speed painting.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i like that last one a lot. That yellow racing suit reminds me of Valentino Rossi "the Doctor"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you're getting better. i could see that you're practicing a lot! keep it up.

I'm looking for work!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Haven't had time to scan in most of my practice sketches between work. All I had to update now is sketch I've been working on.

trying to get it blended properly and such. still a WIP.

this is the reference pose i used.
    http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/...e+-in%3Ascraps

Last edited by Chiko; March 13th, 2007 at 12:48 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hmmm little more messing with it. dunno how it's coming out...

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1