Sketchbook: [How I learned to stop worrying and love to draw] 12/21 Comic and promo work - Page 3
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: [How I learned to stop worrying and love to draw] 12/21 Comic and promo work

2nd Layer of Hell, where the lustful blow to and fro
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Beershite
    Cool drawings!
    I really like the girl on the throne! you should color that one
    Cheers!
    Thank you! I tried, but I really think it's better left in black & white.

Only one picture right now, I worked more on the pillow fighting. Next I'll post the studies I did today, jsut didn't scan and resize them yet

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    some more things I've been working on with my handy dandy tablet.

I'm thinking I need to take a step back and do some greyscale paintings to get a better grasp of shadows and highlights, then work back into color.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Chiko. Cool progress I think. I just have one little nitpick. Take it with a grain of salt. Of course it seems that you're into the cartoon/anime style, and that's cool and no harm done. But above you said that you need to work on your greyscale painting, and also, that's well and good, but I think before you concentrate on painting, I think that working on your anatomy should be a higher priority. No matter what kind of figurative stuff your doing, you need a strong anatomy knowledge. That's just me though. Take it with a grain of salt
    keep up the work.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    good improvements from the start of the sb that last one of the girl is very nicely done. Just keep practicing drawing from life, it will greatly enhance your anime artwork.

Sketchbook :: Blog

Trying is the first step towards failure.

Homer Simpson, The Simpsons

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by j a k e
    Hi Chiko. Cool progress I think. I just have one little nitpick. Take it with a grain of salt. Of course it seems that you're into the cartoon/anime style, and that's cool and no harm done. But above you said that you need to work on your greyscale painting, and also, that's well and good, but I think before you concentrate on painting, I think that working on your anatomy should be a higher priority. No matter what kind of figurative stuff your doing, you need a strong anatomy knowledge. That's just me though. Take it with a grain of salt
    keep up the work.

thanks for the advice! I never want to dismiss good advice, I really do need to do some more studies thanks!

It would help alot if I could get to a life drawing class too...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think Jake pretty much nailed it. I am also working to correct this plague of all artists. I'll be checking your updates as they come. Thanks much for stopping by my sb.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Trying to work on more anatomy. Just got some new videos video from Villpu, I'm going to try out later and hope I learn alot.

Right here I was doing some screen shots from a favorite movie of mine, Kill bill. And some hands for practice. It doesn't really look live David Carradine though...just a really tired 20 year old

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey good work up in here.
    I think the piece the caught my eye most was this one, it's be worth finishing that one up. Kinda has a bit of James Jean-ness goin on, with the palette and what not. The thing about James Jean is that he incorporates a lot of more stylized and anime-ish stuff into his work, but isn't totally reliant upon it.
    Keep workin at your chops, those portraits are comin along.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    doing some anatomy studies and poses. Trying ti push myself to draw everyday.

Loosening up my wrist a bit to get more organic strokes. Got to keep practicing!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some cool stuff here, and very good progress from the first pics you posted
    You still have a way to go on the anatomy though, but you're doing a lot of studies, so just keep it up. It'll click in eventually. Don't forget about the feet, that's one of the things that look most off in your drawings so far. Feet are hard, but you'll get it with practice.
    It doesn't look like you use the method of building up shapes and proportion with simple geometrical shapes? That can help greatly, instead of just trying to draw the form right from the start. As you want to do animation, never forget the power of the stick man! Stick men are great to plan out movement and proportion with, before building up the form.
    If I can suggest an assignment, do 50 stickmen acting out different movements. I think it'll help your sense of flow.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Ragathol
    Some cool stuff here, and very good progress from the first pics you posted
    You still have a way to go on the anatomy though, but you're doing a lot of studies, so just keep it up. It'll click in eventually. Don't forget about the feet, that's one of the things that look most off in your drawings so far. Feet are hard, but you'll get it with practice.
    It doesn't look like you use the method of building up shapes and proportion with simple geometrical shapes? That can help greatly, instead of just trying to draw the form right from the start. As you want to do animation, never forget the power of the stick man! Stick men are great to plan out movement and proportion with, before building up the form.
    If I can suggest an assignment, do 50 stickmen acting out different movements. I think it'll help your sense of flow.
    Thanks! Actually I do usualy start out with geometric shapes, my sketches usually turn out so messy because of that :| I try to use an oval for the head, and build on it. I try to think of the body as a flour sack, to get in the fold the right way.

That's a really good idea for an excercise though I'm going to try the stickmen!! Sounds like really good practice for an animator. I still watch disney movies and go how do they get them to MOVE so fluid !!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yep, it's all about flow and the "schwung" in the movement. If you're doing cartoon, bendy lines are good!
    There are these 12 "rules" of animation, created by Disney's crew back in the day, and they still define what we see as smooth cartoon animation or drawing.
    Read about it here. It's just a small article I found, but it's the basics. Think about it when you work.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So I sit..after someone brings it to my attention, why am I not taken seriously? Any interview I go on or wherever I send my resume into, I am not taken as a professional.

And it's because I don't take my own artwork seriously, I am not dedicated enough to improve. I don't draw enough, I'm not breaking away from the anime style that trapped me for so long. I am not living and breathing art.

I need to step up my work to improve, to come closer to reaching my goals. So I'm starting now, to work harder and push myself to work work work. To not just sit and wonder why I can't do this or that, but to make myself do it.

And I will make myself update this more often, and to draw more. I want to be a real artists, and not just be satified with my work.

Sorry for the rant but it needed to get out. Here's some things I drew today. First to learn how to draw noses and lips properly. Some suggested animation excercises, and some other sketches and paintings.
    After this I go back to work.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That's cool. I see you've thought of the line of action in some of those stick figures, that's always good to keep in the back of your head, even if you don't have to draw it out all the time.
    Good practices there, keep it up! The last pic with the action gamer is really nice, more like that! It's got flow, emotion and tension.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hi! i love that most of your character sketches has lots of great expressions which i think most people lack in their sketches i think u just need to work on your anatomy a bit but i think youll have no problem at that thanks for the sketches!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yo, awesome SB! I think those studies are especially nice! looking forward to seeing more

keep at it.

Oh and FLCL owns

Whos God?!?.....'God... well you know when you really wish for something?'...yeh??.. 'He is the guy that ignores you.'!

My SB

is the Elixer..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You draw lovely hands.

In the hand study from a few posts up, I especially liked the one labelled as being drawn from memory. It looked realistic, but stylised.

My sketchbook has head pigeons.

Go leave a comment before they spread to the other children.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ragathol- Yes it was a great excercise. I definatly need to do that to get pose ideas!

Animeboy-Thanks I'm really pushing to get even better in showing emotions. Need to act silly inf ront of a mirror to be an animator

Arekkusu-indeed flcl does Thank for the compliments. I still need a whole lot of work though.

haaay- Thanks for the compliment, I still need alot of work on hands. As well as feet. Hands are easier for me to draw on myself then me feet are heheh

Only one new update today. Been working on this painting. I don't know why I gave her a mutant arm before. Trying to refine the face and get folds right.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hya Chiko

Itīs good that you found the go to wanting beeing an artist. And that you need to take your work more seriously. And your afterwards posted studies are allready on the right track. I love the pic with girl posing with the game controler. You know of course that pulling controllers like that wonīt improve the gameplay. But I like th girl because it still looks anime, but allready peeks into a more realistic approach. And good posing too.

And about beeing taken seriously. I really believe that it is the mindeset. When I reached the point of "I need to live from my drawing NOW" it took half a year and after that I miracalously got a job. And that was four years ago and I still havenīt reached a level of skill that is displayed by some minors īround here.
    And I found myself a new job with drawing too.

So never ever believe anybody who tell you that you wonīt be able to live from your drawing. Thats Bullshit. If you really want to. You can!!! And you will. Keep up the good work.

Wolf

A tutor once said to me: "Let your mind go!" and it didnīt come back.

Wolf@WorK aka Sketchbook

my Heavy Industrie, Military and Steampunk References/Textures (updated Oct 2012)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you Bbwolf!

I'm definatly trying really hard right now.

Today is a big art dump, started off with progression of a bust I tried doing quickly, but ended up taking me 45 minutes :/
    It didn't quite turn out how I had wanted it to..

Then a WIP that I was messing around with watercolors in painter.

Practicing some nudes from memory this time, trying the same pose from different angles. Also the closest to a self portrait you guys are going to get for a while hehe. I ALL MY 2 AM GLORY.

Then a pictures I made for the new layout of my website. Tried making it really messy like.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    O man, I've been so wrapped up in a freelance job this past week I haven't had anyt time for practice sketches. I feel icky not drawing.

Here's some pieces I worked on.

Alot of concepts, and the character I'm trying to bring into 3D right now.

Need to start sketching again tomorrow!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Man, I've been slacking! Been really busy with more work and distracted by ::cough:: video games...so it's back to drawing!

I've been messing around in painter to try and get myself somewhat able to paint digitally. The first three are mainly me messing around with new brushes.

Some WIP of a piece I'm really trying to work into some form of completion. I redid the sketch many times to try and get the anatomy right. I don't think I've quite nailed it yet, so any criticism would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi! Thanks for stopping by my sb.

I'm so impressed with your facial expressions. You can really capture a feeling, especially in a cartoon form. Thats something thats really difficult for most people. These: http://conceptart.org/forums/attachm...1&d=1161509932 anatomy studies look really good. You seem to have a pretty good grasp on anatomy when you're focusing on it, but errors slip in when you focus in a different direction. Keep practicing until its second nature. You're doing great - much better than me on anatomy!

I think this last piece of the girl was much more solid before the last coloring. Something about the colors makes the piece look flat and dead. A little too boxy I think, and the skin is bugging me. Now I know nothing about digital painting, so I'm no help, but it just doesnt look right to me. I love the pencils though. Keep it up, and thanks so much for the encouragment.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks morningbloom!!

I think I do need focus :/ I'm doing a lot of anatomy sketchs now from some really good models I found. Got to keep practicing!!

Thanks for the input too, I think I agree with you. The coloring really doesn't look good and it's bugging me too. This means I need to get rid of those layers and start back over!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sketchdump.

Been doing some life sketches.

Dead tired right now from a busy few days...
    right now I'm feeling a bit down, like I'll never get to the point I want to be, because none of my drawings are any good right now. But I just know I need more practice, and to work work work.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Having alot of trouble shading...I'm really terrible.

Any advice on excercises to help would be most appreciated !

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cool SB, I think you have a lot of nice linework and digis throughout this. If you want to work on your shading, first off, are you taking your time with it or just making quick sketches like it looks like one? http://conceptart.org/forums/attachm...1&d=1163838886
    well if thats the case, I'd say spend more time on them and learn to shade as lightly as possible with a sharp pencil. I don't really remember when I started shading in details, or how I started getting more in depth with it. All I remember is that I started with circles and cylinders because they were harder than cubes and flat-sided shapes. Drawing people from refrence is usually good. You also need to sometimes go pitch black, like with your painting from ref of the guy's head. You went dark, but in the picture the left side of his head is in a really dark black. After you get a little better, learn to shade in subtlety, kind of like in this picture: http://elfwood.lysator.liu.se/farp/hand/Untitled-28.JPG
    the hand is generally in the same light, but around some edges, its much darker, and planes of the hand that are at about the same level like the base and in the middle of the fingers between the joints its generally the same shade, while the pinky which is lower is in a darker shade.
    If you want to get really into it then next comes implementing color (just cause its only in pencil doesn't mean there isn't a shade of the color!) only real advice I have for that is avoid too dark and too light and make a median so if you want a yellow shirt you can just leave it white or if you want a black hat you can get really dark, sounds simple but it does take practice to make it convincing.

Alright well, some of this may have been confusing or not too straightforward, but I hope you get what I mean. I guess my best advice is take your time and do a lot of shading with more realistic styles like your kill bill sketches. You have a pretty good sense of value I can see in your digis so I think you just need to work at it. Oh yeah and don't call yourself terrible, that isn't normally the best solution .

Last edited by Kvick; November 19th, 2006 at 09:19 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Whew, need to get back to drawing, feel out of it for a little bit because I've been so busy with CG work.

Gotta do some life drawing tomorrow to get back in the swing of things. Here's some ideas I was messing around with.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    new sketches, not sure why i feel so sick lately, need to draw some mooooooore.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Chiko

Nice going Girl. Those last ones are really promising. You are not as afraid of colors as I am. Cool. And you have certainly an eye for them.

Those life drawings are coming along nicely too. And what´s with you don´t draw? Lot´s of updates since I was here last.
    What are those freelance jobs that steal your time? Not to mention the video games.

A tutor once said to me: "Let your mind go!" and it didnīt come back.

Wolf@WorK aka Sketchbook

my Heavy Industrie, Military and Steampunk References/Textures (updated Oct 2012)

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 2