Sketchbook: [How I learned to stop worrying and love to draw] 12/21 Comic and promo work - Page 2

View testimonialsView Artwork
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the comment in my sketchbook so I through I better reciprocate. I like your drawings of people at the bookstore I tried drawing people while on the bus a few time but gave that up bit to bumpy to draw. You’re very good with capturing expression I really enjoyed looking at those.

'I HAVE NOT FAILED.I'VE JUST FOUND 10,000 WAYS THAT WON'T WORK.'
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    2nd Layer of Hell, where the lustful blow to and fro
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I need to do some more of that, sitting down and drawing random people. I think I got noticed last time haha.

I've been practicing on faces lately, making funny faces at myself in the mirror and trying to capture it.

[How I learned to stop worrying and love to draw] 12/21 Comic and promo work

And also something I've been working on. I tried to keep to colors really muted

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hmm, bout time i posted in here.
    Im sure lots have said it about the anime style, and i agree.
    Phase it out with some ref stuff perhaps, and its really only the faces that look anime-ish.
    Well its your style, and if you wanna be an animator, thenn i guess its ok!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello

I like the fact that you are going to bookstores do life drawings there that's great keep it up. I think that you should try and do at least one self-portrait a week. i would help you tons with facial proporations. I'm going to start myself.

New Sketchbook

Old Sketchbook

"I have been impressed with the urgency of doing. Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Being willing is not enough; we must do." -Leonardo Da Vinci

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Unbreakable
    Hello

I like the fact that you are going to bookstores do life drawings there that's great keep it up. I think that you should try and do at least one self-portrait a week. i would help you tons with facial proporations. I'm going to start myself.
    Thanks! I'll try that as well as keep working on drawing from life.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Worked on some stuff tonight. Messing arond with sketches and some color.

Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good stuff with those figure drawing practices. I feel myself that your pics will benefit from tightening your control on figures/proportions. I'm learning about drawing the figure myself at the moment, and I find this wiki entry to be quite helpful if you haven't checked it out already.

Keep up the work mate.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

hmm... interesting...

Nice development... I would also have to agree on avoiding the anime stylizing at this point, but the expressions are really interesting. It might be to your benefit to try to study some skulls... just google it and you can find some wicked pics... Just think like a building, if the foundation and structure is weak the walls will just cave in.

I also found that trying to study the old master's works is actually helpful... (not as much as drawing from life...) Hope this might help

-The Crazy Dude was here-

Thanks
    Thanked 1,402 Times in 557 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    hey whats up. just checkin in on your sketchbook. good to see you are messing around with color. this piece: http://www.kawaiichiko.com/doodles/chicointro.jpg has some nice stuff color wise goin for it, though theres somethin about the arms that are not jiving with me, u might want to cheque out them arms. good stuff though, keep up with that life drawing, it's good stuff.
    -az

"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
    --- Frank Herbert, Dune - Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

Check out my Sketchbook! Critique and Criticism welcomed.

or my Deviantart!

· or check out my: Blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi there - just a thought, you had a really nice cloth study earlier on with loads of folds and shadows - try working that into the clothes you painted onto your figures, some seem a little flat, esp. the black top with the skull and crossbones. But the anatomy's improving all the time.

Keep it up!

My sketches:
    http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=75440

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Chiko, was stopping by again, I like the guy on the scooter. The eyes in your drawings are too big, very anime looking. Not sure you're always going for that, it's fine if you are.

Niva's Links: Sketchbook | Eternal Seven Website
    Doomsday Dream Clan Artists: Clanlord | Headhunter
    Team CHOW III: Doomsday Dream Clan

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just doing some more sketching. I worked some more on a piece I started. A girl sitting in a Devlish throne with a demon behind her. I'm wondering where to get from this point.

Also did alot of concept wokr on my characters that I'm soon going to be taking into 3D.

Thanks for all the advice. I really do WANT to stop drawing the "anime" style. I want a really expressive style that doesn't look to generic.

JERI, THE CRAZY DUDE- thatnks for the wiki davinci article. Interesting read. Is the average man really that stumpy, or were people shorter back then?

ArtZealot- thanks for taking a look! The arm is anatomically wrong, thanks for pointing it out. Her left leg is a bit off too. Im going to work on it some more and tweak it.

gigglepixie- yeah i need more cloth practice..hehe I have trouble with that.

n1va- thanks for looking again! I'm trying to stay away from it been too anime looking. I guesss I figure if I draw my people's eyes too small they won't look very expressive.

Last edited by Chiko; September 13th, 2006 at 10:02 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Chiko

copying Walt Disney's famous self portrait. I mean...who DOESN'T want to be pyramid head? I hope I did an ok job painting it in painter
    Is it just me or does your character have 2 left hands? Maybe I'm just seeing it wrong. The expression here is adorable.

I really like your stuff in here. I'd just echo what others have said. Keep drawing from life, and I would love to see some of those awesome cloth folds in your other drawings, like this latest throne drawing. Keep it up.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by morningbloom915
    Is it just me or does your character have 2 left hands? Maybe I'm just seeing it wrong. The expression here is adorable.

I really like your stuff in here. I'd just echo what others have said. Keep drawing from life, and I would love to see some of those awesome cloth folds in your other drawings, like this latest throne drawing. Keep it up.

Oh snap! You're right! How did I miss that?! Geez...thanks for pointing it out.

I need more cloth practice as well ehhhe.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey hey,
    combiningt your manga style and "normal" style will mix up fine.
    the vespa girl rocks. do you know flcl - an anime made by the folks who die neon evangeleon genesis, theres also a vespa girl, check out!

lg

sketchbook here

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=58380

giland.org - my bouldering site

http://giland.org

PEACE

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Chiko, your getting better and better !
    Keep it up ! Hmz, maybe I should start a sketchbook soon rolf

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeap, I'd say people from five hundred years ago would indeed be shorter than us in general, but I expect the proportions would not be affected.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by anymale
    hey hey,
    combiningt your manga style and "normal" style will mix up fine.
    the vespa girl rocks. do you know flcl - an anime made by the folks who die neon evangeleon genesis, theres also a vespa girl, check out!

lg

You don't understand....how obssesed with that show I am It's my favorite anime ever.

Jeri- yah I was just wondering if men really were only about 5 heads high as oposed to the ideal 8 heads high. Still a really interesting article thanks again!
    (Like i didn't know the belly button was in the center....duuh...)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's interesting to see you practicing both life drawing and anime style. I really like this piece. It has pretty good anatomy, nice colors and a nice style that doesn't have anime all over it. It could use some cooler tones in the shadows though.

Keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    some of your anime has the classic cute nose drawn by most of the people just starting out, but you seem to have gone for a much better IMO more defined nose which tends to make the face much cuter and expressive.

chicointro and sketchbook 11 and 12 show what I mean, the facial structure and anatomy in general are much beter than most of the other pieces, there are some proportional errors which can be easily ironed out with practice.

all in all soome damn nice work

cheerio

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks H2rra and young paddy1, that's what I really want is to develop my style into something cartoony, but not something people will look at and go "oh that's just anime..."

I really hurt myself during those years of high school when I drew NOTHING but anime and now I'm trying to weed it out of my system hahah.

Now here's two unfinished things I did. More concept art for my characters in 3D. Need to finish inking them hehe. The pillow fighting girls could use some work. The one weilding the pillow, her upper torso seems off. I like the expressions though ^^ They came out better then I thought.

Also..can anyone help me with the sketchbook thumbnails? I feel silly, but I can't seem to figure out how to use the thumbnail I uploaded.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You were waiting.

It starts out with better than average anime inspired stuff. Then there is naked flesh. I'm not allowed to pass judgement on that but I will anyway. Later though, when I'm alone.

Your work seems to go from a wide range of skill. Maybe that means eventually all of your work will look like your good work here. Or maybe not. I'm getting the vibrations that you enjoy drawing. Maybe you wouldn't if you had many years of pain and dissapointment. Are you telling me the key to sex is biting?

No matter what anyone tells you, bleeding on a canvas is not art. Art is a craft, like putting together log cabins. You don't get awards in math for getting all the answers wrong, even if you're retarded.

We don't like art because it is so hard and we are all so bad at it, but there is nothing that has the potential to be as rewarding so we must continue to suffer. Impaled on spikes

Here is a smiley screaming in agony:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Goodbye..fromthevoid
    You were waiting.

It starts out with better than average anime inspired stuff. Then there is naked flesh. I'm not allowed to pass judgement on that but I will anyway. Later though, when I'm alone.

Your work seems to go from a wide range of skill. Maybe that means eventually all of your work will look like your good work here. Or maybe not. I'm getting the vibrations that you enjoy drawing. Maybe you wouldn't if you had many years of pain and dissapointment. Are you telling me the key to sex is biting?

No matter what anyone tells you, bleeding on a canvas is not art. Art is a craft, like putting together log cabins. You don't get awards in math for getting all the answers wrong, even if you're retarded.

We don't like art because it is so hard and we are all so bad at it, but there is nothing that has the potential to be as rewarding so we must continue to suffer. Impaled on spikes

Here is a smiley screaming in agony:

You sir, have given me the most confusing reply I have ever received. It literally made me say "W-T-F" out loud. In my house. So that my boyfriend could hear it. Last time I checked I drew with pencil, not blood from my slit wrists.

Are you telling me that I am terrible? Are you trying to get me to quit? What are you trying to say exactly? I do enjoy drawing. If you have a passion for it, you will succeed.

Maybe if you actually drew without thinking and let it flow out, you wouldn't get so frustrated and depressed. Then you could get off your parents couch and make something of yourself.

Here is a smile, smilling in happiness

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    chiko, i wouldn't worry too much about that last post. anyway, this style of art isn't usually my cup of tea, but you seem to do it really well. the ones with the clean lines look very nice. also that one sabe pointed out is great. no crits. just keep trying to keep those lines as clean as possible.

http://www.kawaiichiko.com/doodles/chicointro.jpg

love this one. awesome colors. fantastic expression. really needs those clean beautiful lines i know you can bang out though. keep it up chiko

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You are showing a lot of improvement over the course of this SB so far. I think you need to do some more from-life drawings and get away from the anime canon of drawing for a bit and explore some other ways to get things on the page. With so many anime artists out there you need to find something about your style that is unique to you, unless you want to be one of 20 billion people stuck in a small cubicle drawing someone elses work forever. Try to take a break from it. It will strengthen the style when you come back to it and the influence from it will show in your other work.

Very cool stuff, keep posting and working, it will all come together!

Oh, and don't worry about 'Void, there is always a critic. Just take it in stride and move on, you have some talent, now you just need to stretch it past its limit.

"Oh my God who is flying this thing! ......... Right, that would be me." ~Wash

DeviantArt - Sketchbook - Concept Art.org Porfolio

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you Sith and masterpug! I'm trying really hard to pull myself away from the anime style. I'm slowly but surely weeding it out of my system. The LAST thing I want is to look like 1000 other anime artists heh.

Right now these are the two things I'm trying to color. My boyfriend says forget about finishing the first one because there are too many anatomy errors.

But I really like it

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Another sketch dump here. I went and drew more people in a bookstore...but I think some of them noticed me doing it
    I tried putting my guesstimation of their names next to them.
    The rest working on faces and trying to get something non-animish that I like.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well if faces are what you're focusing on right now, I'd say more of those face sketches you did in post #1 would be good.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some things I was painting up today

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cool drawings!
    I really like the girl on the throne! you should color that one
    Cheers!

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.