A little project...
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

A little project...

Doesn't really seem appropriate for any of the other forums, so I thought I'd put it here. And it's not an excuse for not drawing. That's because I'm lazy.

Quote Originally Posted by Thursday, June 22
    After over three weeks of waiting, my parts finally arrived.

(those pickups are Burns Trisonic replicas made by Kent Armstrong. Yeah. Replicas of the same kind Brian May uses )

And as of last Sunday, I've been working on the body.

And by 'I', I mean my brother and my dad did much of the cutting for me. The power tools we had weren't the best for the job. My brother managed to use his jigsaw to get most of the excess wood off, but it gave out eventually. Two days later, my dad pulled out his old saber saw, and got the rest of the wood off, leaving only the curves at the very top of the body to be cut out. That, fortunately, fell to me, and 2 and 1/2 hours later of hacksawing, coping sawing, and angle grinding, I have the body. Now it just needs to be routed, sanded and finished (all of those I plan to do myself). If anyone's wondering, it's Alder.

I had originally planned to build a neck myself, but my dad talked me out of it, and I bought a neck from a Peavey EXP that the music store had removed for whatever reason. I forgot to take a picture of it though. Oh well. More pictures when events warrant.
    Quote Originally Posted by Today
    Okay, after <2 hours of routing, I think I'm finished. Behold!

It still needs a little work of course, and I think I've messed up a bit on the neck pocket (it will definately need to be filled slightly), but I'M DONE THE ROUTING!!! I tell ya, safety glasses are better than nothing, but I kept getting sawdust in my eyes regardless. The pickup cavities are a little 'off' because I didn't use a template for them (which was a mistake on my part, I think), but they'll do fine.

Here you can see the control cavity. The router couldn't go deep enough, so I'm going to try drilling holes just big enough to fit the controls in.

Here you can see the neck, which I've set into the body for the photo.
    Now I just have to clean up the body, drill some holes, sand and finish it, attach the neck, and I'll be done! Hopefully by next Saturday.

Sketchbook support group #7
    Andorz
    Koshime
    Number_6
    Slash
    Mike Frank
    Haldor
    BDFoster
    Gloominati

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey neat. I play a little guitar and banjo, and while I've always wanted to build a banjo I'm sure you'll love the guitar when you're done with it because you and your family built it.

Anyway how are you going to do the paint job on it? Are you going to have any drawings or anything on it? If it were me I'd browse through the sketchbooks and the finished sections and stuff and look for drawings or paintings that look good to me. Then contact the artist and see if they mind you transfering their drawing onto the guitar. Just a suggestion, mabye you haven't thought about it.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Thanked 1,475 Times in 469 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    sweet. My brother has decided many times that he was going to build a guitar, but never got much past the planning stages. Personally if I were to build one (and I thought about it once or twice before realizing that I'm actually a drummer) I'd want a more unique body shape, but that's just me.

and building your own neck would be a nightmare, avoid that at all costs.

"Every little step considered one at a time is not terribly daunting" - Ethan Coen

New books and process DVD available NOW!

www.dvpalumbo.com

Quickie blog (nudity)
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Bohh
    Anyway how are you going to do the paint job on it? Are you going to have any drawings or anything on it? If it were me I'd browse through the sketchbooks and the finished sections and stuff and look for drawings or paintings that look good to me. Then contact the artist and see if they mind you transfering their drawing onto the guitar. Just a suggestion, mabye you haven't thought about it.
    I hadn't thought of getting someone else's artwork for it... I'm just planning to do a solid colour though. It's too easy to get bored of actual drawings.

Quote Originally Posted by DavePalumbo
    I'd want a more unique body shape, but that's just me.
    I've always liked the Telecaster shape myself, and I wasn't feeling all that creative.

I'm not sure if I mentioned in my other post, I'm planning to wire the pickups in series with on/off and phase switches for each one (actually just a single switch). Queen rules!

Andorz
    Koshime
    Number_6
    Slash
    Mike Frank
    Haldor
    BDFoster
    Gloominati

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hmm, it turns out that not only is Alder an extremely hard wood (LOLLERSKATES), single coil pickup cavities don't have enough room to maneuver a drill through to make the wire holes. Long story short, I went back to the router.

Now I have to make a pickguard, and find something to cover the hole in the back (it doesn't have to be wood, since it'll be painted over. Maybe plastic).

EDIT: Oh yeah, I made the pickup cavities slightly larger as well.

Andorz
    Koshime
    Number_6
    Slash
    Mike Frank
    Haldor
    BDFoster
    Gloominati

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.