Goblin Assassin

View testimonialsView Artwork

Thread: Goblin Assassin

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Red face Goblin Assassin

Man, I love digital. I'm lovin Painter. I can erase, and redraw, and fix, and tweak, and the paper never wears out. I've probably erased this guy's legs 5 times, and his face half a dozen, working the lines, fixing the proportions, tweaking it to be what I want. It's so freeing. And I have a seperate layer where I can dabble with color schemes. The grain of the simulated watercolors, and being able to erase and refine it opens up a whole pantheon of ideas!

This guy is not even close to being done. I'm still working on cleaning up some of the lines. But the ability to shade parts, and look at the overall composition really really helps. And I'm happy with where the linework is starting to go.

Overall, I'm loving this 21st century medium! But my mom will probably say it's not real art, like SF books are not real books...

Name:  Goblin Assassin.jpg
Views: 698
Size:  79.1 KB

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Not sure what you're going for whether its crits or just what people think but heres some crits if its what you wanted .

His pose is kinda funky, I think the left leg should be placed in front of the right leg, the legs seem out of proportion a little too long for a short goblin type character, and his left arm is all weird. But I really like the tone of his cape.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thats cool! I've noticed you haven't drawn the rest of his right arm in that goes behind his face. I like the quick sketchy style

Note to self: START DRAWING FROM LIFE!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, I took a snapshot right in the middle of reworking the arm....

Leg wise, I've been reworking that one too. New post coming soon.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    well, if you like the medium make sure you use all the tools.First of all, try using big brushes.Lay down big colour areas first, and erase what you don't need later.Only then start rendering.The pose in extremely "swooshy" maybe even too much.Some problems in his legs foreshortening, and i wonder why is cape is done that way, the hood should actually be a bigger fold of fabric that "folds" before going down the body (hope you get what mean).Make sure you experiment with texture and different mediums with painter, since you can.Keep working on it

ciao

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, the cloak is a bit goofed up.

And coloring wise, yer right. But I'm playing while going along. So some parts are sketchy, and others are more fully rendered.

I've fixed some of the leg problems. But I also want to get a piece 'done', because completion is better than having tons of incomplete drawings around because I couldn't get the feet, or hands, or legs right. His face has been redrawn about a million times before I posted this.

Coloring wise, I overlayed a watercolor layer, and have painted in some colors, blocking them in. For final rendering, I added another layer, and with a custom blender brush, I chose "Pickup underlying colors" This allows me to blend the colors with the underlying tones. If I need to up the intensity, or brightness, or adjust the colors, then I add dabs of color where needed, and blend in.

I clean up the edges as needed with various erasers

It's kinda like painting in oils over a damp griselle, which I've done before. Only I don't have to wait a few days for the paint to dry before I can put in some hilights or adjust the colors without excessively muddying them.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.