Sketchbook: Art Journey~ My Time in the Arts Institute at Bournemouth~ - Page 6
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Thread: Art Journey~ My Time in the Arts Institute at Bournemouth~

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey those bedroom pieces look really good and those paints are looking special too, should look awesome once there finished...also, good studies.
    Thanks a lot for taking me around the Uni, was greatly appreciated, hopefully i will get in, the place is amazing and i was stunned by the quality. Also thank your friends for me, i didnt catch their names but thank em anyway.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dan - Hehe, Its a student house and it didnt come with a chair so I took one from the garden I have a office like chair but it doesnt have a back, so I just use it to put things on as you can see on the third drawing. Chears for pointing out the elipse issue, what do you mean by pushing the intersecting line?
    Lohan - Chears. These are assignments for a background design unit Im doing. Yar, thats my wall of inspiration! Its going to leave quite a lot of blu-tach stains
    Prophet - Hey hey! I know the feeling! We would love to have you over, its such a great atmosphere! Hope you get in and my friends can introduce themselves properly

I have so much to scan in and so much to do! These are quite old now.
    At the start of this class, I was panicing about how much time I had, but once I settled down and enjoyed it more, the work produced started to get better.

EDIT: Sorry about the messiness here, either my scanner picks up these smudges or it got them over time.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ohh! man pretty good!!! I like your sb,like the master studies and gesture drawings,colored stuff too.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,585 Times in 604 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  lines.jpg
Views: 589
Size:  9.5 KB
    meh, hate trying to translate from swedish, something I learnt from a Frenchman speaking broken swenglish, to english

anyway intersecting lines are lines that meet, as with T
    They give depth, and if you push these lines you get more depth - and for the sake of your piece, even if the lines doesn't intersect in the ref, or the like, making them intersect is probably a good idea.

Anyway good studies, especially those where you give your line some value

SB. p31 updated 25.04.2012.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looking crazy good man, saw your sketchbook and had to check in
    All these studies are def. paying of. Lines and anatomy is looking better for sure. I wanna see that room finnished!
    Keep it up
    tiger

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey good to see so many life class stuff, keep those studies coming.
    I think what Dan mentioned in his last post is spot on, some good advice.

Ps. I Got into AIB, wooo!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    JoeEffect - Thanks, I havent done much master studies recently, I feel like Ive been slacking now
    Dan - Thanks again for the crits and extra big thanks for the diagram! Keep popping by with those words of wisdom!
    Tigermilk - Yo dude! Still slowly working on that room. I need to do more studies though. Thanks for dropping by maybe we will battle again sometime
    Prophet - Hey congrats man!!!! It'll be awesome to have you in the community! Really, I feel so lucky to be here. Theres a couple life drawing classes a week (from 1 to 3 classes) so theres so therell be plenty of oppotunity to draw!

Some acrylic paintings for class. Metal textures. (remember folks, blue and yellow dont make green!)

Some old life drawings (I really should to scan them early)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey bendragon, awesome progress in here as well! great to see so much life drawing. I'm really liking how your digital coloring style is progressing, that robot is very nice, and the quick colors on the room are very pretty. I think going heavily into facial studies would significantly improve your work even more. Keep up the good work~

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  longarm.jpg
Views: 547
Size:  41.3 KB
    just to repeat - anyway just push em, again and again and try to remember it

oh and it helps to make lines closer to you stronger - as it also adds depth.

anyway I like the colour pieces, and the fact that you have done a heap of studies alone is worthy of an big applaud!

EDIT: oh and looking for em (the intersecting lines) is also good, or so I've heard - that is if you find a muscle/bone that is fairly vague, but still somewhat visible, and it can create one of these intersecting lines, push it a little extra.

EDIT2 & I forget all the time

Last edited by dan liimatta; March 8th, 2007 at 08:49 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Fishspawn - Cheers man. Hmmm, might give more time into faces. Ive been trying to work up my gestures more recently. Some loomis studies are in hand I guess. Cheers.
    Dan - Thanks again bro. I'll try spot these for future work. Hahaha, yeah I dont know what I was thinking when I did that arm

Heres some more old stuff.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,219 Times in 624 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Impressive amount of effort that you put into these! And it shows through later that you improve! Keep it up man! its fun to see your progress!

~Dile

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    good stuff, as Dile wrote your improving right in front of our eyes, and it's beautiful

really like the first of the last batch - keep it going 07

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dile - Cheers mate! Hope the fun continues for all of us
    Dan - Thanks Dan man. Maybe I'll reach your level someday

More life drawings:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I just had a look at some of your older life class stuff and then your new stuff, theres definitely a lot more confidence in the new stuff, the lines flow better and theres an overall good feel to them. That first acrylic of a metal texture looks good, especially the rust, I suck with "Real" paint...you seem to handle it well.

Just keep working on those lines, push more confidence into them. Good work, laters.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    oh a fatty

though she often feels flat, so I'd look more into the shading and lines - still good to see, and keep it up.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Prophet - Thanks mate. I will look to improve my linework for sure soon.
    Dan - Heh, yeah Ive found my shadings contridict my lines sometimes, hoping to put that right!

More drawings of my room.

Thumbnails for a new project

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    am i getting a sneak peek into whats in store for me when i start the course...may be all different but its interesting either way. My favourite piece is the first picture, especially the way you dealt with the curtain being wrapped around the pole. However the second piece doesnt seem to have the same quality as the first. Good luck with the new project. bye

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    4 Stars? W00T! Now I just need to work harder and keep trying to improve!
    Prophet - Hehe, yup. Well these are a bit of what we do, theres loads of animating we do but I cant upload them (saved them quite big). Anyway, expect loads of work. Sometimes I work from 9am to 9pm and I know some of the 3rd years do that all the time. Yeah, I got a little bit tired on the 2nd drawing These are work for our background design unit, so you should know whats instore for you now

Heres some pastels from life drawing.

Enjoy!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Heres where I progressed on that room painting.

And heres a design of Christopher Columbus' cabin for class.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey Um liking those life classes...make a nice change to just the pencil stuff...my favourite is the very last one. Hey nice progress with the bedroom piece...i was going to ask if you finished that one..That Christopher Columbus desk design looks real interesting..i love that sort of stuff...how did you do that map..looks cool.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    really diggin the pastels, they remind me of a more tame francis bacon ( http://www.francis-bacon.com/francis...ry/gallery.htm in case you're unfamiliar).

Columbus piece is sweet as well, although I think you might as well get rid of the lines around the flame, and I wish it had more orange to it, since candlelight is usually more orange. it also tends to create very strong shadows, i think you could stand to make the shadows sharper and a little darker. the wall behind it is great.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm digging the figure work you've posted in your SB. Good work on your copy of Sargent's Lady Agnew as well.

nOtoRiuZ PiG is offline Art Student And Ruler Of The World Level 1 Gladiator: Andabatae
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow! Your sketchbook is very nice! My Fav. Picture is your UFO that was inspired by a dream.. wow again.

bravo

The true work of art is but a shadow of the divine perfection." - Michelangelo

I Can Kick Your Ass At Halo

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Prophet - Cheers. I felt I needed a change that day. Nah, the room painting is still in slowwwww progress. I kinda cheated a bit on the map. I painted the page and put a photograph of an old map over it as an overlay layer and set it to 50% opacity. It was fun, I painted the crease and folds in and it was fun to see how it looked with the texture over it. A few traditional versions are coming your way.
    Lohan - Hehe, thanks mate! Ive actually been inspired by a friend who put his pastels to great effect in a few life classes. Francis Bacon is the shizzle! But Degas is my pastel idol Damn! You noticed the lines! I didnt go with an orange light because I wanted to get a foreboding type of atmosphere since hes in a dark ship about to go through a storm. I agree with yopur point about the shadows, artificial light gets that effect.
    Reidaj - Thanks! I didnt fancy myself much at figures but a load of life drawings helped change that
    Notoriuz Pig - Ah ha! Im glad you like it. I might be revisiting some of my earlier ideas once I have a better drawing ability.

Been sketching in a graveyard with my good friends!

Been practicing with characters from the imagination.
    This is old

This is more recent

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some more life drawings

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yo. just noticed from the two from your imagination, the faces look weak. in particular I think that a greater knowledge of the structure and construction of a face and head would help you out a great deal. i would suggest studying some skulls and then on top of them doing some studies of actual heads and faces.
    the legs of the standing profile figure in the last post look great! i've also recently noticed in figure drawing that the legs make a slight "S" shape when standing up and in profile.
    are you mixing ink and pencil in that one reclining figure? if so, i wouldn't suggest it, but thats just personal preference. i think it looks ugly.
    one last thing. the shading of your figures is lacking unity. the values are splotchy and inconsistent. i would suggest not putting in any value until you're finished with the figure, and then, instead of just crawling around the figure trying to match the value on the model to a value with your pencil, filling in all of the shadows with one base value. then from that subtract the bits that are lighter with a kneaded eraser, and add to the bits that are darker with pencil. and the parts that are in the light but still need to be modeled, just do that with light pencil after.
    maybe this process won't work for you, but either way i still think the values are splotchy and i would suggest finding a process in which the shading is more unified and harmonious.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lohan - Well spotted! My faces from imagination has been concerning me a bit recently. Its more anatomy for me then Theres a Loomis head and hand drawing book somewhere... Im happy that your looking at figures with an interest to forms too! Hmmmm, not sure what was going on with the inks. Cheers for the method, Ive tried that method from time to time. I keep switching to different ways. I think I was being lazy on that day and wasnt really knowing what I was doing. Me fool!

Recently got the Alla Prima book! W00T!
    Heres more life drawings:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey sorry i havent posted in ages...my PC broke, again..and ive been sorting out a few things to do with Bournemouth, hopefully everything is going to go through ok. Ok onto your work, i can see a change in your drawings from the last post, it looks like your paying closer attention to shadows, and lines...and its looking good.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,219 Times in 624 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, i'm just gonna say wow... If you keep this studying up, you will be pro - good really really soon man.. Impressive and amazing!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i like your environment !keep it up!

Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1