Thanks

So I've been looking around other sites and...

.. this still seems the best place for just plain ol' Illustrators as well.

Even with all the massive focus on Concept Art.

I just have to sift a bit more I suppose. Anyone out there who does just illustration solely?

Don't get me wrong, I love concept art - it's some of my favorite art ot look at - but I can't do it! lol I just can tell - it's not in me. However, what I really get jazzed about are images that tell a story without an explanation.. and bam, illustration is where its at.

I only have one goal right now, which I think I can achieve over the next year or two. I take small moves...

I don't know why I'm posting really other than to find other people who are interested in illustration - because I haven't found a community out there except this one that has as many people on it!

Ok, done rambling, haven't finished my morning coffee
    “It is enough that we set out to mold the motley stuff of life into some form of our own choosing; when we do, the performance is itself the wage.”
    -Learned Hand

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science. He to whom the emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause and stand wrapped in awe, is as good as dead; his eyes are closed." ~Albert Einstein

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Ah look harder mate there all here, heres some usernames to get u started...

DSillustration - me thinks mainly a sci fi book cover illustrator, but dont quote me on that, works in oils mostly and a fantastic artist

Aleksi- FANTASTIC artist, i think again does alot of book cover work, as well as some trading card pics but cant be sure, and is in the process of making the 'merlin' book which me thinks i might actually have a small orgasem over when it comes out...

Elwell- another oil painter and another fantastic illustrator

god theres loads more but ive gotta go take an exam, put these usernames up in the 'search' option along the concept art tool bar thingy then find where they have posted, click their names and hit 'visit homepage!' I swear if you like illustration you wont be dissapointed.

peace

Thanks
    Wow thanks a bunch!! I appreciate the response Will go check em out.

EDIT: Wow this is just what I was talking about, thanks so much - what inspiration!

Now if I could only get someone to mentor me.... muuhahahahha!!! (yeahhhh right - I wish!)
    Last edited by Nerahla; June 22nd, 2006 at 09:40 AM.
    “It is enough that we set out to mold the motley stuff of life into some form of our own choosing; when we do, the performance is itself the wage.”
    -Learned Hand

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science. He to whom the emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause and stand wrapped in awe, is as good as dead; his eyes are closed." ~Albert Einstein

Thanks
    Thanked 1,478 Times in 470 Posts
    yeah, there are a good many around. Just browse the "It's Finally Finished" section and you should see quite a few. Long live illustration!
    "Every little step considered one at a time is not terribly daunting" - Ethan Coen

New books and process DVD available NOW!

www.dvpalumbo.com

Quickie blog (nudity)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,308 Times in 307 Posts
    Unless you're insanely saught after and garner a lot of popularity in your field of choice, or even then, artists take the jobs they can get and that means doing illustration, texture work and sometimes graphic design. Ultimately you do want to be able to offer your expertise in particular areas and have a distinct way of handling visual problems but having a diverse skill set is crucial for putting food in your belly and keeping your lights on.

So yeah. A lot of us concept artists double as illustrators and a lot of us illustrators double as concept artists. It's all good and when you get 'em all together here, we all win.

Thanks
    Thanked 16,685 Times in 5,021 Posts
    There's certainly illustration that would never work as concept art, and vice versa, but for a lot of stuff the only difference is whether it was intended for print or pre-production.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Well, I don't know if I need to put food on the table, actually let me clairfy, I don't. My husband is a Tax Lawyer and I'm kinda set in that regard - and lucky. So, I'd just sort of angle towards the illustration bend, because I don't think I'll ever be able to just sketch and whip up what I see you guys do everyday.

Then again, I've only been doing this 8 months!
    -Learned Hand

Thanks
    cough *Dave Palumbo* cough... dunno if he's illustrating, but he's sure doing some great painting

Donato
    Jon Foster
    Miracola (dunno if I spelled that right)
    JerMohler
    Rick Hershey
    Tim "dogfood" Hibbets

So far illustration's the only place I've gotten any traction either... so up with the illustrators and best wishes to ya!
    "Change is a virtue my friend... if you want to escape, all you have to do is make up your mind."
    John Cale / Bob Neuwirth

Here be SKETCHIES...

www.ccthrom.com

Thanks
    Thanks CC - and sorry if I am being dense, but what do you mean by traction?
    -Learned Hand

Thanks
    Scott Fischer has posted a bit as well.

I've tried poking around other sites and, I agree, this is the best for illustartion (of a sf/f bent) around.

I love this blog for historiclal look on iillustration: http://www.illustrationart.blogspot.com/

Thanks
    I always thought illustration was a big part of conceptart anyway. You need to design the mood of characters right? I dunno so many different forms of Art I get lost.
    Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form.

Thanks
    The only thing that separates it, in my mind, is that concept art is so specialized - each drawing/painting is there to work out a specific character, object, or landscape. In illustration, all these elements are intertwined into a narrative of some kind.

Thanks
    I am an illustration major, and alot of my finished pieces nowadays would fall into the "illustration" category, but I feel now especially that concept is a big part of making fresh and interesting work. Concept doesn't mean necessarily that it has to be far out there, it just means thinking beyond what's in front of you. And as far as you get away from what's in front of you, the more interesting it becomes and leads you to new ideas.

- Visions

Thanks
    ...or maybe I'm just being vague? "Traction" here means that I'd love to branch out into concept work, but so far I've only actually gotten work as an illustrator.
    "Change is a virtue my friend... if you want to escape, all you have to do is make up your mind."
    John Cale / Bob Neuwirth

Here be SKETCHIES...

www.ccthrom.com