Thanks

Red face Reocurring Characters?

Now that I've written that title, the only thing I can think of is REO Speedwagon.

Anyway, anyone here have characters that pop up a lot in their art, stories, imagination, etc.? Kinda like "main characters" or some such? I've got more than a few from my old role-playing shut-in days, some twenty odd people I draw occasionally and think about often, especially when I listen to music. As concept artists do you guys lose that sense of having your own characters, since you make so many different ones in projects? Or are there still those special someones from years ago dancing around in your head? Anybody willing to share examples?

Just wondering if I'm crazy or not here
    Procrastinator At Work - Eventually!

* Help a CA artist! Visit the Constructive Critique section! *

"The problem is, the world these kids create for themselves is at first a very crude one. If you leave a bunch of eleven-year-olds to their own devices, what you get is Lord of the Flies."
    -Paul Graham

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    beholders

Thanks
    Any character designs that deal with Orcs, Trolls, Dwarfs, Elves, Soldiers and Chicks with Big Boobs always seem repetitive to me.

I try to stay away from cliched stuff, but it seems that's what people want commercially.

Also, characters that involve human skulls seem repetitive to me too.

I was told the job of a Character Designer is to make something that nobody has seen before......I'm still trying to figure out if that's a good motto to go by.
    Last edited by NoSeRider; June 22nd, 2006 at 04:48 AM.
    My New Neglected Sketchbook
    You Ain't no Nina!.....

"Too often we... enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." -- John Fitzgerald Kennedy
    "My mind is made up. Don't confuse it with facts." -- Terence McKenna

Thanks
    Thanked 1,309 Times in 389 Posts
    I always end up doing bulky Gorilla-Crabs (...and other stuff). I think the best way to avoid getting stuck with certain designs is to make studies of animals, pokemons, D&D etc etc. Put some new stuff into your head every now and then.
    Jamen jag tror att han skäms, och har gömt sig. Vårt universum det är en av dom otaliga spermasatser som Herren i sin självhärliga ensamhet har runkat fram för å besudla intet.

Thanks
    I like what NoseRider said; its good to be as original as the client/project will allow for.

But what you are really asking is if particular characters seem to persistently be appear in people's sketchbooks (and minds). I think that it's normal and pretty common for people who do this; In many ways, its our job to have a rich and well developed inner-world/imagination.

Start worrying when you find yourself actually talking to your 'imaginary friends'.

Thanks
    Scary dogs, gorillas, the german equivalent of rednecks, tentacles, umbrellas and of course girls.
    Now that i think of it, it is a weird mix.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by NoSeRider
    .....to make something that nobody has seen before......
    everything has been done in one way or another. everything is just variations or puzzled together remanants of other stuff.

*runs and hides for having said that*

Thanks
    Some RP characters I've been drawing for a long time. A rocker Lynx I've always wanted to do something with. And these damned mantis things. They just won't go away.

Thanks
    Ah damn, I had some big nice reply ready but I accidentally hit some key on this damn laptop and switched site layouts. Whatever, Greg L hit what I was going for, individual characters rather than types of characters. Like, I've got this one guy, Jam, who devoted himself to the underworld and now fights the marauding forces of God with his huge bardiche and his girlfriend to keep balance in the holy circuit. Badass supergore comicbook stuff, I hope to make a project out of it one day. But while we're on the subject of broad types, I tend to draw crazy people and distant warriors a lot.

I agree with Nicolas. Come on out of your hiding spot, man

NoSeRider, it's really sad that the masses are more interested in cliche than real originality. I'm no graphic artist or anything but I can imagine how many good ideas get the shaft in big projects because the product wouldn't sell well enough without something less original.

Ha, I switched layouts by pressing the Euro key. Does anybody else here have an Euro key, or is it just me?
    Procrastinator At Work - Eventually!

* Help a CA artist! Visit the Constructive Critique section! *

"The problem is, the world these kids create for themselves is at first a very crude one. If you leave a bunch of eleven-year-olds to their own devices, what you get is Lord of the Flies."
    -Paul Graham