Best Tablet for Photoshop?

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Best Tablet for Photoshop?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Best Tablet for Photoshop?

I'm shopping around for my first tablet for my laptop but mainly photoshop. I figured if there's any people who'd know which runs best with photoshop, easy to learn for someone like me who always used my rollyball mouse on my laptop. Also, fairly cheap, I'm willing to spend the money if I need to but I don't want to dish out 300$ if there's better alternatives.

My Karma ran over your Dogma
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello Neish... any tablet runs good with Adobe photoshop. As long as you can draw you can use a tablet May take a little to get used to, or you may pick it up right away, just depends. What I have right now is a Graphire4 4x5 it suits my needs, and is easy to move around and take with me... http://www.wacom.com/graphire/4x5.cfm Also i would recomend a little bigger like a wacom 6x8 or the 6x8 bluetooth also check out e-bay actions you can usally pick up a secound hand wacom for pretty cheap

Thanks
    Thanked 1,219 Times in 624 Posts
    Follows
    Following
uhm, 300$ = Graphire 4 a5
Or intuos 3 a6..smaller though, but as Seth1 already have pointed
out.. any tablet works with photoshop!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm shopping around for my first tablet
    Don't think this way!

I bought my "first" in 1998, an Wacom Intuous 1, A4 regular.

... and I am still working with it, no problems at all, the only thing is, that after this time the surface foil, I am drawing on should be change the next time, but besides, the board is absolutely great!

A graphic tablet is not like a PC, you can use it for much longer time, so if you stay drawing for long time, think about buying a tablet for a long time.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    For a laptop I recommend a 6x8- Graphire if you're looking cheap, Intuos for quality and a bigger budget.

Here are some Newegg prices for 6x8 Graphire 4/ Intuos 3.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...ubCategory=296

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks guys, I didn't really even consider the size of the tablet. I'd probably be more comfortable with a 6x8 so I think that's what I'll look for.

My Karma ran over your Dogma

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Btw...I'm curious...has anyone on here feel comfortable with the 8x11 or 12x12's or is that overkill?

I'm using a Graphire but I need to get something a little bigger but looking at the lounge and some of the photos, I sometimes wonder if bigger is better and it gives you more flexibility.

kndy

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artists who use tablets for their profession often use the really big ones. Supposedly, this can reduce wrist strain because you're using your arm more. However, it's perfectly possible to produce high-quality work with a small tablet. The Intuos tablets are very nice, and the smallest Intuos is relatively cheap. I'd say it's better to buy a small Intuos than a medium-size Graphire.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    At the workshop, HPX was using a 4x5 Intuous 3 and was creating killer stuff with it so size definitely doesn't matter. I've used a 9x12 for about three years now and I love it, I had a 4x5 graphire before that. But recently I just bought my first laptop and started to use the graphire with it. I'm finding my wrist gets pretty tired after some use. As soon as I can catch up on some bills I'm going to look into getting a 6x8.

If you're a fellow Canadian there are some online sources you may want to look into. In my experience NCIX.com is very reliable and has pretty good prices. They have a 6x8 intuous3 for $342 (link) while FutureShop has the same model for $499 (link) but it's on sale right now but still not as cheap as ncix. Also, Futureshop has free shipping so that might bring the prices closer together.

Also, I haven't really considered the 4x5 Intous3 because I'm left handed and the touch strips would be useless to me. Not sure if that is helpful for you or not.

Good luck with your purchase.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm working on a Intous 1 12x18 and I will never go smaller. This being said after I upgraded from a 9x12...
    I have worked on smaller, a 4x6 to be exact, and I thought I was gonna have to stab some one. I felt confined, unatural. I totally understand if you have space issues, that's a lot of tablet, but if you are a traditional artist (like me) moving into the digital realm... go big. It's a hit in the purse, but you'll be happier longer.
    Some of the older model Wacoms, like the Intous 1 series can be picked up cheap on Ebay. Just keep your eyes peeled and you'll find a large tablet treasure.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    cane said it right, those damn wacom guys know their shit... i've been using a 2nd hand 9x12 intuos SE for about 3 years now sparingly and it's still going strong, i've had more than a few mishaps and yes i need to replace the surface and get a pack of nibs, but i'm thinking of upgrading to an intuos3 because grooveholmes won't shut up about them.

wacom lasts, period. i wouldn't go with any other brand of tablet, they're just unbeatable.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    KNDY to your question:

just think about: as the boards have the same resolution, from A6-A3 (don't ask me the inch size! ), you can work more precisely on the bigger one.

Working 1:1 the way will for sure get longer but you can change the "projection" of the board via the wacom preferences, so if you like to work on a smaller area you can also preset this for any application separately, so for example for drawing in Photoshop use the whole board, for layouting in Indesign just use an A6 sized area!

As I already wrote, to my personal opinon an A4 is big enough to draw exactly, and you don't have you whole desktop covered with your Wacom!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    True Cane, but no matter how you adjust for the size of your drawing area digitally you can't increase the size physically. Meaning... I draw and layout pics by using large full arm sweeping motions, much akin to how I draw and layout illos on paper or canvas. No matter how I set a smaller tablet with an active work area of 4x6 I can't replicate that same fluid arm motion that I've been using since I first doodled my first, um, doodle. Just ain't natural I tells ya.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    well, honestly I tried more tablets yet.. and I sticked with my Intuos 2 6x8 [A5]. It's pretty precise tool and the size is just ok. if it was bigger I couldn't put it on my desk [what would make it unusable] and when I used smaller, I had difficulties with sketching.. just imagine, A6 space to make a stroke equal to 21 inch monitor.. that's just funny [sorry, but it is]. so as I can recommend, get 6x8 intuos... ^^it's really worth it.

skin tone opacity zero

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If you can find a cheap older version Wacom in box it would be perfect. I've recently decided to get serious about learning digital painting so I went and pulled my old wacom out the cobwebs. I had no idea what version it was, found out its a Graphire 2. Loaded the drivers and it works perfect. I used it before to just do regular ink and piant on lineart but man its nice using pen pressure for different fx.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Trust. Also a maker of tablets.

I had a small 15cm Wacom tablet but wanted a larger one. I thought Wacoms were a bit too expensive so I found these instead. I got a 30cm from Trust for about a quarter of the prize compared to a 30cm Wacomtablet.
    One diffence seem to be resolution of the tablet. Since I'm kind off a beginner I cant tell the difference after only working with it for a couple of days. And I'm happy with it.
    So check it out and perhaps save some money:
    http://www.trust.com/products/product.aspx?artnr=13022

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Comparison of prices

Just to give you a clue I compared the prices of similar Wacom and Trust tablets at my local computerstore. I only compared their sizes. Perhaps Wacom includes more in the product than Trust that makes them more expensive.

Trust Wireless Scroll Tablet 1200 v2.
    Size is A4. This is the one I got and I paid around £80 ($145) for it.

Wacom Intuos3 (with a painter program included, i think).
    Size is A4, and cost is around £360 ($680).

• Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.