Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks

Problem with names?

Alright here's a question: when you've forgot the name of the person your talking to, what's a smooth way to find out his/her name again?

I would sometime have people come up to me and say hi. Now they would remember my name, and I definitely recognise them and remember their faces, but just couldn't remember the names. I could just pretend I still remember their names and carry on with the conversation, but the thought of it can really gnaw at me sometimes.

So I was wondering if any of you have got a good way to find out the name of the person you're talking to without asking him/her and admitting that you forgot.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    "Hey, I wanted to tattoo your name on my chest, but I wanna make sure I spell it right. Can you write it down for me please?"

Thanks
    Thanked 1,478 Times in 470 Posts
    ask someone else when they walk off (best if you ask me)
    compare driver's liscenses (which is pretty lame)
    ask straight out ("I'm sorry, but I'm so bad with names, I need to hear them like 5 times before I remember... etc.")
    do a half-introduction (risky though)

the half introduction can backfire and make things more awkward if they're not on the ball, but it's the smoothest way I can think of. I use it myself when I'm in a tight corner. You ask them if they've met so-and-so (who should obviously be somebody standing right there) and, assuming that they don't already know eachother, you leave it to the mystery person to give his or her own name. If the person just shakes hands without giving a name or waits for you to do it, it could be a little weird. This one's worked out about 80% of the time for me.
    "Every little step considered one at a time is not terribly daunting" - Ethan Coen

New books and process DVD available NOW!

www.dvpalumbo.com

Quickie blog (nudity)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Marko Djurdjevic
    "Hey, I wanted to tattoo your name on my chest, but I wanna make sure I spell it right. Can you write it down for me please?"
    You sly dog, but I've had this backfire on me before. The spelling thing does'nt always work, "Oh hey man, well it was good seeing you again, how do you spell your name, so I can put it inot my phone?"

"r...o....b..."

But I am just so spacey.. I remember going to dinner once with an ex girlfriend who I'd been going out with. And I saw a friend at the restaraunt, when I went to introduce them, I totally blanked out on her name, she was pissed.
    * Help a CA artist! Visit the Constructive Critique section! *

Thanks
    JERI, if you don´t remmember their names, is because they are not important for you or your social circle.

And if it really bothers you not to remmember, don´t worry abou it, carry on with the conversation and the name will pop out eventually in a completely unrelated event.

People will know you forgot if they are forced somehow to tell you their names (again).

Marko: specialy funny if you say that to another male...named "Bill".......Or "Robert".

Thanks
    i got a killer way:

You ask them "Hey, whats your name?"

Then they say "Its Rob you bastard!"

Then you say annoyed: "I know that stupid, I meant your last name!"

Then they say "Oh, its Anderson"

Then you say "Why would you think I didnt know your first name?
    I take that as an insult"

Tables turned!
    [url=http://galleryonefone.blogspot.com[/url] This would be my gallery in Sweden

This would be my Pleine Air blog

Thanks
    10 stars for tim!
    tensai

check the Tensai Tokyo Sketch Thread (Sketchbook)

check the Tensai Cityscapes Thread (Finally Finished)

Quote Originally Posted by strych9ine
    Fuck backgrounds, who needs em.

Thanks
    my moneys on the "half-introduction" too. You could introduce them with completely different names as a joke, and then they (hopefully) introduce each other.. I'm also very bad at names, although I do remember faces and where I know them etc.
    well good luck to you JERI
    currently playing: Kuhlau, Bach, Beethoven
    Le Order Nouveau!

Thanks
    I tell them I'm bad with names and forgot already. It was okay the first time, but two or three times later she got annoyed and wouldn't tell me anymore.

So I asked our coworker when she wasn't around.
    Sketchbook support group #7
    Andorz
    Koshime
    Number_6
    Slash
    Mike Frank
    Haldor
    BDFoster
    Gloominati

Thanks
    There's a perfectly acceptable substitute for any name if you're using the English language:

"Dude".

Thanks
    Why bother with names? The Soviets never needed them... and neither do we!

Thanks
    I just shout "Hey you!" and point at them.

Okay, actually i don't. But i should.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,308 Times in 307 Posts
    I always just come up with really obnoxious, semi-offensive nicknames. Say I don't know your name, I'll start calling you Twinkle-fish or Spanky McBanana-cramp or Baron Von Pickle-Popper. Before no time you'll get fed up enough and say "would you please stop calling me that?" And I'd say "what do you want me to call you" and then you'd say "call me steve, asshole."

works everytime.
    Last edited by N D Hill; June 21st, 2006 at 11:19 AM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Exo
    I always just come up with really obnoxious, semi-offensive nicknames. Say I don't know your name, I'll start calling you Twinkle-fish or Spanky McBanana-cramp. Before no time you'll get fed up enough and say "would you please stop calling me that?" And I'd say "what do you want me to call you" and they'd say "call me steve, asshole."

works everytime.
    But how does that tell you their name.... you just call everyone Steve.

Thanks
    I aöways forget names (it's incredible how fast that happens to me)
    so I learned to talk for hours without using names

if ppl are around who know the nameless =>ask them
    if not and you want to meet them again =>ask for their phone number and let them spell the name
    if you don't want to see them again => don't care

everyting's fine now
    my sketchbook
    friends Sketchbooks:Dile_, Stine
    my flickr go there if you want to see my photography stuff

<mildly sarcastic remark that seems a little cutting at first read, but contains wisdom and is really rather funny>

Ilaekae: "I'm sick and tired of "purists" who dictate their own anal preoccupations to everybody else as the word of gods."

Thanks
    That's really easy, just don't forget their names.

otherwise. If you admit that you're an idiot, swallow your pride and straight out ask them...half of the time they will ask you your name also.

the old 'sorry, I'm an idiot, what's your name again?' usually works out pretty well for me. It's a great way to strike up conversation with them too, because you can talk about how you've forgotten some person's name like 5 billion times...

although, I will admit... Exo STILL calls me twinkle-fish.

Thanks
    Maybe I'm just too blunt or something. I just straight up say "What's your name again?" But then I don't really have a lot of friends.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,308 Times in 307 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tex

although, I will admit... Exo STILL calls me twinkle-fish.
    Yeah. For the first month I knew you, I called you Twinkle-fish untill finally you threw that brick at my head and you were like "CALL ME DEVIN YOU SON OF A BITCH!" ...Devin, Dave or Dean. I'm pretty sure it's one of those.
    Last edited by N D Hill; June 21st, 2006 at 11:18 AM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by timpaatkins
    i got a killer way:

You ask them "Hey, whats your name?"

Then they say "Its Rob you bastard!"

Then you say annoyed: "I know that stupid, I meant your last name!"

Then they say "Oh, its Anderson"

Then you say "Why would you think I didnt know your first name?
    I take that as an insult"

Tables turned!
    *golf claps*
    My work: [link]

Thanks
    Tim, that was awesome. The most useful thing ever posted on an any internet forum.

I have a question. I don't know my friends birthday.

It's either the 24th, 25th, or 26th. She only told me once several years ago, and each year I got lucky. One year, I was in Seattle at the moment and just called on the 25th at 11pm claiming I didn' tknow what day/time it was in Hawaii because of daylight savings time This year, I just called on the 24th and said "I know it's your birthday soon" playfully. How do I find out her birthday without asking? I've already tried the drivers liscence thing.
    Last edited by CaptainInsano; June 21st, 2006 at 11:55 AM.

Thanks
    Does anyone remember that Seinfeld episode where Jerry had already made out with a girl whose name he forgot, so he couldn't find the courage to ask her her name? So he asked if anyone ever made fun of her name in school and she says, "Of course! When your name rhymes with a part of the female anatomy, kids won't leave you alone.." And, Jerry is like, "Mulva...Gipple..."

Anyhow, you could do that. See if kids made fun of his name in grade school. Or just ask, like everyone else says.

Trés Cuté Sketch Group
    magicgoo bluemech cwn annwn light dished

Thanks
    I don't even use names in conversations :|
    It's not like they'll notice that you forgot it you know... My friends didn't anyway
    You could also exercise your memory
    Also, if they really are your friends, they *should* accept that you have a little difficulity whit names...

Anyway, one way could be having them write down the name in an adress book/on the cell phone, accompanied by the adress or the number of course.

Thanks
    If someone says "hi, I'm steve", I'm already thinking of something else by the time "eeeeve" comes out. So what I do, and this works if you are an abrasive asshole, is just start calling them herpes or xylophone. When the "what the fuck are you calling me that for" comes out, say anything is better than the horrible given name their of a mother gave them. When the "what's wrong with Steve?" comes out, make sure you are actually paying attention this time. Associate that name with a medical condition with the same letter, get some alliteration on that son of a bitch! Staphylococcus Steven, you can't forget that.

Thanks
    yeah, asking them to write down their number is a good one.

And expanding on Tim's, you ask for the spelling while entering it in your phone. Makes it maybe more believable. Now that I think about it, I've actually done that too
    "Every little step considered one at a time is not terribly daunting" - Ethan Coen

www.dvpalumbo.com

Quickie blog (nudity)

Thanks
    Getting them to put down their name in the address book is a great idea! Gonna do that the next time I forgot their names.

Thanks
    if you're with someone else who hasn't met that person, have that person introduce themself, and then the person you don't remember the name of will say "oh, hi, I'm ______"
    Adventure Dog: my work

Thanks
    If you have to introduce two people, and you can't remember one of their names, you can act the clown and confidentaly introduce them with a completely ridiculous name. eg:

You: "Hey Beth, this is my old friend Baron Von Rienfarter, Baron, this is Beth"

Whereupon your old friend laughs and introduces themselves properly and you get off looking like a clever knave.

(I'm sorry if your name is really Von Rienfarter and i have just mortally offended you).

Thanks
    I just ask them straight out...

"Hey, um, uh...."

Along with a profound look that just begs for them to mention their name while pointing at them... When they say,

"I can't believe you forgot my name."

I go, "Don't hold it against me. I forget even my closest friends' names."

Then they laugh...

And then starts that awkward conversation where we both have to blather nonstop to avoid that "uncomfortable silence."
    LONG LIVE YOKO KANNO!!!

Thanks
    "I've been thinking of celebrities with the same first name as me. My favorite is _____. What's yours?"

slightly less lame than checking their ID, but easier to "naturally" work into a conversation. dunno, I still think asking them or somebody else is the best way to go. Though with the celebrity name game, you also now have something extra to help you remember it?

www.dvpalumbo.com

Quickie blog (nudity)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by strych9ine
    If someone says "hi, I'm steve", I'm already thinking of something else by the time "eeeeve" comes out. So what I do, and this works if you are an abrasive asshole, is just start calling them herpes or xylophone. When the "what the fuck are you calling me that for" comes out, say anything is better than the horrible given name their of a mother gave them. When the "what's wrong with Steve?" comes out, make sure you are actually paying attention this time. Associate that name with a medical condition with the same letter, get some alliteration on that son of a bitch! Staphylococcus Steven, you can't forget that.
    Holy crap thats funny! I knew there was a point to reading this thread.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast