Art: Question about clear casting

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Question about clear casting

I am doing a sculture in wich the chracter is made of ice, I researched some on Transparant Liquid Sculpey, and I'm not sure how it works, do you sculpt it or is it for pouring into molds. I know this is probably a dumb question but bare with me. ALso what are some other clear resins I could use for pouring into molds. Also on moldmaking, how do I cast something like a curled hand or deep crevices without breaking peices off of the original or the plaster, I'd appreciate any help guys

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i wouldn't use TLS unless for small parts. I thought it only comes in small quantities + you can't sculpt it, you need to brush/pour it. there are clear resins out there that give the same see-through effect (or better), but i don't know the names (i'll leave that to the pro's). also in my experience, plaster isn't the best way to go for castings, it breaks quite easily. I would also use resin for that.

hope this helps a bit. good luck and post some pick's of the progress if you can.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Can I get a little more help on name brands, I have seen a few products, maybe I'm not reading the labels right, but they all look more like glaze then something that can be baked as a mass and not a surface, ex. anyone seen the see-thru camoflouge Predator action figure. Thats the type of stuff I need to find

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    http://www.smooth-on.com/liqplas.htm -> look for the cristal clear somewhere in the table.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Resin is probably your best bet and limion's link is the right sort of stuff.

Have you checked out the Hellboy bust thread? That is one way you could make a silicone mould and you would simply use clear casting resin instead of the opaque stuff. It does work, but a simple box mould might be easier, depending on your sculpt. Or even get some thixotropic additive which lets you spread thickened silicone over your model.

If you try and use a plaster mould the resin will stick to it and ruin your day (did it once... won't do it again ...).

Sorry if I'm mis-interpreting post 3 here, but resin is a two part liquid that once mixed, can be poured and cures solid. No baking required.
    (Also, a lot of "clear" resins have a noticeable yellow tint to them, so be selective in your purchasing)

Hope that isn't too absent minded or garbled, and hopefully of some use.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ill help a little by posting a link i ran across while looking for info about casting in resin.

In this thread a guy is attempting to cast some clear pieces for a resin model kit he wants to build, and he goes through all the basic dillemmas and issues such as having bubbles in the clear resin etc. there is other helpful info within the thread.

http://www.hobbyfanatics.com/lofiver...php/t6028.html

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I researched the mold making and I think I have my resin picked, I think I will do layers of clear resin I will add certain dyes and frosting to, hopefully it will appear a deep cool blue in the center and a clear frosty layer as it spreads out. A side questiion, can I use rubbing alcohol to smooth the sculpt instead of Turpenoid on SUper Sculpey

Last edited by WanderingProphet; June 22nd, 2006 at 02:40 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yes, i believe a few people use isopropyl alchohol for smoothing, it is less aggressive than some of the solvents like terpenoid.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've used polyester resin before. The result is pretty good, pretty clear. Its foul stuff though. I'd do it outside AND use a ventilator. The smell stays forever too if you do it indoors where you think you have decent air coming through.

It comes in two parts, resin and catalyst. Its exothermic, and gets quite hot when curing. But its really fast, easy and pretty available at craft suppliers. Just google polyester resin and I'm sure you'll find a million places it that sell it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by WanderingProphet
    hopefully it will appear a deep cool blue in the center and a clear frosty layer as it spreads out
    Wow, that sounds like it could be amazing. Make sure you post some work-in-progress!

Quote Originally Posted by Neorepto
    Its foul stuff though. I'd do it outside AND use a ventilator
    Yeah, should have mentioned that. Always take time to read up on your Heath and Safety, because nobody else will.

Good luck! Make sure you post some progress!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.