Alien Concept... suggestions and insights welcome!
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Alien Concept... suggestions and insights welcome!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Alien Concept... suggestions and insights welcome!

Hey concept artists... Here's an alien concept I'm working on and I'm at a point where I could really use some fresh insight. It's still in progress, so any constructive feedback on how to make the image better would be great.

Thanks!

Name:  new_04.jpg
Views: 262
Size:  92.0 KB

Last edited by SiMoN; June 20th, 2006 at 07:44 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Simon! Welcome.

These comments are met to help your work, and should not be taken personally in anyway. I hope you find it useful.

Your lighting is almost where it needs to be. The left side of the staff should be lit up a bit. If the top part of the staff is omitting light, it should be reflected on his face/body a bit more, same with the icon on his chest plate. I like the texture you’ve got, if you really want to crank it up a notch, you could add more detail to it, and give it a more wet/slimy look (more contrast will help you get this effect).

Since this is still a work in progress, you might want to mess around with it a little bit. Maybe take the eyes completely off, add a bunch of slime or puss coming from his mouth, maybe he has 2 mouths! Think a bit about what kind of environment he would be found in, and how he would have adapted to his surroundings. You have a good start, just keep working away, and you will end up with a great result.

/weller

/weller
    sing to me of cigarettes.

Portfolio
    SketchBook
    Work In Progress

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey KawizradSaddrax,

Thanks for the feedback. I like your suggestions. I agree that the lighting from the staff needs to be punched up. I also think the sliminess could go further, though it's easy to go too far with the shiny highlights. I'll play around with that and try making him a little more drippy and oozy too. Heh heh. I'm getting grossed out just typing that.

It's funny that you mention taking the eyes off... his eyes used to be attached to his head sort of like an alligator, then I lifted them up and also tried taking them off completely. I found that without eyes the design lost some of the interest and cartooniness that I was going for. It's cool that we were thinking along the same experimental lines though.

Some further thoughts: I'm not sure if I like the current staff design. I tried a couple of different versions, but didn't come up with anything I liked better. I'm also thinking that there needs to be more contrast between his head and the background. Maybe the highlights from the staff will accomplish that. Maybe I'll try opening his mouth too. More slime, more teeth, maybe a creepy tongue or another mouth like you suggested. I may play with different color schemes too...

I'm going to keep fiddling around with it, though I think I'll wait and see if there's any more feedback here before I do.

Thanks a lot for the ideas! If anyone else out there has feedback or suggestions, please feel free to let me know.

SiMoN

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    He looks cool.
    I like his expression.
    One thing that might help is putting some
    shiny hilights on his metal backpack and skin.
    You know - more all around slimy.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey grantrl78,

I think you're right. More slime. More shine.
    Thanks for the suggestion!

SiMoN

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.