How to go about realizing animation concepts?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: How to go about realizing animation concepts?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

How to go about realizing animation concepts?

Hello Ca-ers,

I am someone who has been dabbling into many forms of creativity and among other things I have a strong passion for choreography, animation. I have a few concepts for animations, with very clear visions, painfully precise in some cases.

My problem is that I do not have the drawing skills to bring them to life as they are in my head. I certainly need and want to better myself, but I'd also would like to know:

How I can get into contact with people that might do such animations for me, me directing?

What's the best way to lay down an animation concept - story board, description in word etc.?

I am very serious about this, and of course I know some of the possible answers to question number two, but I would be very interested in any tips and guidance anyone could offer from CA. Not entirely naive or ignorant, I hope not to be shot down for asking such basic questions, as I ask them in all honesty.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryz

How I can get into contact with people that might do such animations for me, me directing?
    Animators will animate anything you want providing that you are actually paying them a fair wage. If so, you should have no problems finding some on craigslist, among other places.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryz

What's the best way to lay down an animation concept - story board, description in word etc.?
    Draw them. Storyboard, with description. You pretty much answered your own question

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the answer..

Anyone have more elaborate stuff to mention?

Are there any animators/concept guys who would be willing to chat a bit with me about this?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This will explain a lot about the process... production planning, storyboards, stop-motion, 3d, cel.
    The Animation Book : A Complete Guide to Animated Filmmaking

tensai

check the Tensai Tokyo Sketch Thread (Sketchbook)

check the Tensai Cityscapes Thread (Finally Finished)

bLok

Quote Originally Posted by strych9ine
    Fuck backgrounds, who needs em.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think I'm going to look into that book. I've got some things I want to animate too.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Are you able to thumbnail it? If you've got an extremely precise vision in your head but are unable to get it out on paper, trying to explain verbally to a storyboarder or animator could end up being less than a fun time for all.

Just throwing it out there...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The way I see it, you have two options. Learn how to draw. Or pay someone who can.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the answers guys, I really appreciate it. Not that I am into myself, but I really think I have some great concepts. I have SOME drawing skill, see this:
    http://ryzpawel.deviantart.com/scraps/

But I have a big problem with iconization for some reason. When I was a kid I copied Disney from comics (Donald etc.) and they are usually very flat. I kind of instilled this way of looking at things through contours.
    Then, even though I liked drawing, UI kept drawing only lines with pencil. No depth, no real form. I also drew through a certain formula... I just bend some rules I know and it LOOKS like I can draw nice comical/disney style or caricatures, but I can't.. if you would ask me to draw a caricature of a real person I could make something nice out of it, but I really don't have the real skills down.. Kind of cheating,.. hard to explain.. but perhaps you guys get what I am saying..

Anyone know how to free myself from this 'blockade' ?

I have some short animations, but still many require real skill,.. I will try to practice with small things, though.

I have experiences with 'fake' posts or whatever, people who have a lot of talk but nothing to back up. I don't want you guys to think I am not serious, because in a way talking about animaiton concept and having little drawing skill may come off as odd and bullshittery, but really it's one of my strong passions and I really want to realize my concepts! So here is at least a part of a rough script of one of my animation concepts. So your advices will not be in a vain and I really appreciate anyone taking the time to give me some guidance.
    Here it's more about the happenings than the looks, though I have quite precise images of most of the details in my head It's basically very rough. I have it in Dutch(I live in the Netherlands) and this is a quick translation, bear with me .

[DREAM - SEN]

details:

Duration: +/- 390 seconds (4,5 minutes)
    Computer and/or hand drawn animation
    Style:
    2 dimensional-esque caricatures Rendered in 3D.
    Reference: Slightly influenced by Hanna Barbara, main indication: Igor Sinkoviec

Concept script:

Midday, a fresh and magical day in the forest.
    A small boy[A], looking 10 years of age, with a round toadstool like head, red hair and light freckles approaches a fantasy-like three-house restaurant. A healthy boy, although looking dozy and dopy.

He opens the oval door.

As the boy[A] enters and walks to the seemingly only free table in the restaurant he passes a few odd characters[B,C], of whose activities enter his mind, in a deformed way: Oddly muffled voices, loud voices resonating as if resounding in a well, strongly penetrating scents, and overly-intimidating visual details, etc.

[B] A fat young man, with blond curly hair, red cheeks and freckles matching disproportional large nostrils . The boy[A] passes the fat yong man, who laughs greedily while chewing his food. As the boy[A] passes him the laugh of the fat young man[B] echoes in his head, as the young boy[A] scaringly peeks in his mouth which while looking grows in side, revealing the back of his throat.

[C] A slim, 50-year old redheaded lady, with overly-present make-up, who puffs her perfume(classical bottle with soft pillow) on her fur. The pink perfume encloudes the oung boy, who in pirouettes takes the first stap, rolling his eyes backwards..

He also glances into the kitchen, seeing the cook, who has an evil look on his face: crooked eyes..and the background is red hot

The boy looks around suspiciously, stopping his eyes and gazing forward for a few seconds.. he swiftly takes the last steps to his tables and sit down, bowing above the table, as if to hide himself.. being intimidated by the entry.

The waiter approaches, with a pin like head, French moustache and a ridiculous French accent in English, with such nasality in ‘on’that the hairs in his nostrils vibrate.. The boy looks at his nostrils and they appear to widen as he looks at them, seeing those hairs vibrate The young boy orders the daily soup and is very nauseous as the waiter leaves..

-----------

Any more comments are wildly appreciated!!!

P.S. I will order that book, thanks. I have Preston Blair's animation at home.

Last edited by Pawelot; June 21st, 2006 at 09:58 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    here's what I would do in your situation.

I would check the sketchbook section of this sight and find someone who's got the right style I'm looking for. Perferable someone who lives near me. I would ask for their price to come up with concepts and storyboards. I would work out a deal with that artist and hire him/her.

Once I've paid that artist a fair wage to create concepts and storyboards for me, I would then hire some modelers, texture artists, and animators. We would all meet and I would have everything laid out in a very professional manner and offer them refreshments and a contract. We would work out a time table and come up with milestones and deadlines.

While they are creating all the caracters & objects & environments and the animators create the intial block-in phase of the flick, I would tighten up the script and get the voice overs for all the speaking parts. I would also have to hire a musician to create the soundtrack.

It's all pretty simple provided that you are willing to shell out the bucks to make it happen... Or.... you can learn how to draw, storyboard, model, texture, rigg, and animate yoruself and take the next year or 2 off to do it all yourself. Those are really your only 2 choices.

Last edited by CaptainInsano; June 21st, 2006 at 12:31 PM.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.