Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: Rblitz7's sketchy sketchbook of sketches

Thanks
    keep the ball rolling
    New Sketch Pad Coming Soon
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanks for stopping by my SB Sinful and I appreciate the comments as well. I was thinking about using the gymnast painting in my portfolio, I think that would be ok as long as I have plenty of other traditional stuff to back it up.

Thanks

Thanks
    Well, the fact that it's digital is no problem at all. In fact, I think colleges are starting to encourage students to include digital art in their portfolios (as long as that's not the only thing in them). The thing that will turn them off about that piece, even though it is done skillfully, is that you didn't reference it from your own, original photo. In a way, doing that is like looking at a Monet painting and copying it stroke for stroke on your own canvas. While it was a great tool for learning, it doesn't show a lot of creativity. As someone posted over in the Ringling forum, while technical skill is important, it takes a backseat to creativity in the admissions process.

One thing I like to do is take LOTS of pictures of my friends or just places around town. If I have to do a painting or drawing for art class, I usually go straight to the photo library on my computer instead of searching the internet for references. I think it's a really great habit to get into. Not only does it make your artwork 100% original, but it also makes it personal. For example, if you look in my sketchbook, the first two pieces I have in there are referenced from my own photos. The car is my 1993 Ford Taurus, and the guy there is my boyfriend.

While you should still make sure you're doing LOTS of work from life, using your own photos for a few pieces won't hurt anything. Just pleeeeaase take my advice and stay away from using magazines as reference.

Thanks
    Thanks for the lengthy response, now I just need a great piece to go in its place. 93' Ford Taurus eh? My sister crashed that exact car 2 months ago. lol...she's alright of course.

Thanks
    Aww... well, I'm glad she's all right. And yep! I'm sure you can whip out another winner in no time. Another thing I was told to do when I visited Ringling in the spring was to make sure I included a background. It doesn't necessarilly have to be something rendered extremely tediously, but I guess they really don't like to see a plain black or plain white background. (I think figure drawings are an exception to this).

Thanks
    I think your drawings here will get you into an art college. My portfolio was much worse than the stuff here and it got me accepted into the school of my choice (of course I was eventually uninvited but that was a different matter).

Uh I would recommend spending a long time on a referenced drawing, trying to make it look as realistic and three-dimensional as possible.

I don't think art schools today are much interested in teaching people how to draw though.

Thanks
    @thesinfulsaint - yeah ill try to think of a good simple bg for my portrait...im working on a still life right now though.

@Goodbye..fromthevoid - Thanks a lot!

Thanks
    rblitz7..saw your stil life drawing..i was impressed..mentler is right ..you got the stuff..if i may give you some pointers..hehe..
    hmm you are on the right direction..hmm i want to see more copies of masterdrawings..i recognized the Raphael nude?..the old masters will show you the way...(spent more time on them..copy as exact as you can or close enough..it will teach you a lot more than what you think..try drawing with pen..pen and ink (the ones you have to dip..if you got the patience) with pen you think more about your lines..throw a few pencil lines (angles, worry about your proportions more,the location of the eye to the nose..compare things to one another) as a guide before inking, copy some durer's etchings (he is the man when it comes to this technique)..hatching helps you on painting..i would start trying oil (if you havent already)..at least alla prima painting..no underdrawing..only five colors.. red,yellow,blue,black and white..paint from life..paint what you see..the colors you think you see..other than that loomis is a great book..master that anatomy and that perspective..keep it up..you have the touch..
    my new site, is crazy stuff but is my own space, I can say whatever!! hehe:
    http://theallejo05.spaces.live.com/?_c02_owner=1
    One of the art schools I respect the most:
    http://www.mimsstudios.com/philosophy.htm

Thanks
    Hey nice work on the painting. I think you're getting a hang of the structure, bringing some of the bg color into the face, or vise-versa, will tie everything together more, make the picture work as a whole. Also, don't always have to use white to make things lighter, sometimes a Naples yellow or Unbleached Titanium works better. Pure white tends to make things too chalky or too shiny. Great start though, you'll have no prob in getting into college.

Thanks
    Sorry guys ive been a little busy lately..thanks a lot for the great tips the_allejo05, I only have hogarth and bridgeman anatomy books but I will def try to find some master drawings to copy. Any good books of Rubens etc. you know of?
    Thanks for the nice comments Andy P! yeah I should add some tints of blue...I know I shouldnt use pure white but I dont have any other substitute color yet.

Thanks
    heres an unfinished drawing that I liked

Thanks
    dig your life drawings, buddy- naked people rock! try to keep those pages clean though. your hand might be smudging the drawings a little. just grab a sheet of paper and set it under your drawing hand. anyway, thanks fer stoppin' by my booky. keep at it!

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast