Art: Creature Concept - line drawn AND colored - C&C please

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Phait Guest

Talking Creature Concept - line drawn AND colored - C&C please

I did these 2 tonight. The colored version was done in Photoshop.

I realize the shoulder spikes are different, I have no idea how I did that goof. Oh well. I'd love to hear from anyone but especially from anyone here from pro game devs.. Thanks!

I think the line work was done good, could of been better (different weights). I'm mostly happy with the coloring, but I'm quite sure the shading could be more accurate. The coloring took me a couple hours I think.. and the line drawing maybe 20 minutes.

Creature Concept - line drawn AND colored - C&C please
    Creature Concept - line drawn AND colored - C&C please

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    why is his leg coming out of a magic portal in the paper?? Lose the box around him, its really distracting. Right now the character is extremely flat, lacks any definition, and needs to be developed. Remember it is made up of mass, not card board cut-outs. I am sorry to say, but it needs alot of work, you need to consider form and shape before you start throwing lines down on the paper. Look at objects, and their make up. cubes, spheres, cylinders etc. apply that too your drawings.

life is cruel only to make you stronger

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    life drawing pays of big in any design field. I would recomend putting in at least a half hour a day if you can do it. (Lately I've been to busy to do even that and its killing me)

Keep drawing.

Phait Guest
    I'd like more elaboration..

I use shapes as a guide with all my drawings. As far as looking flat.. hell what doesn't? A drawing is a 2D thing..

Don't get me wrong, I accept all and any C&C, I'm trying to improve.. but I also feel that this piece passes as a concept piece in itself - it may need some work to be more of an artistic piece - but concept art is about the *concept* .. and I've seen some pro concept art that I think could use work - but otherwise looks great for what its being - a concept.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Alright, first off, for you to say that anything 2d looks flat is probably the most ignorant thing i have heard any artist say. Yes PHYSICALLY it is flat, but the art itself shouldnt look like its cut from cardboard. If you apply general artistic knowledge to your drawings, you would understand that using lights and shadows, you pull the piece off the page, thus making it look like it has mass, and form. Definition of muscles, anatomy etc, would yield a piece that is far better then this. If you are making paper dolls that fight monsters, then you hit the nail on the head. What I am saying is learn value, contrast etc, apply this things to the drawing, and make it LOOK 3d. Even though its not.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Originally posted by Phait

I use shapes as a guide with all my drawings. As far as looking flat.. hell what doesn't? A drawing is a 2D thing..

Don't get me wrong, I accept all and any C&C, I'm trying to improve.. but I also feel that this piece passes as a concept piece in itself - it may need some work to be more of an artistic piece - but concept art is about the *concept* .. and I've seen some pro concept art that I think could use work - but otherwise looks great for what its being - a concept.
    ...no, it doesn't. It looks really amateur. A drawing can be a 2d thing, yes. ...but your drawing, in particular, lacks depth. You made it a point to not overlap any portions of the character, and avoided any semblance of dimension and perspective. You made a boring straight-on portrait of a boring subject. Your grasp of anatomy is elementary, showing merely the existance of vague representations of arms, a torso, and legs. There's no muscle mass save for the exagerrated pectorals and cliché, comic-style abs. For now, I recommend not inking. At all. Don't try to finalize a "concept", as you so freely dub it, and try to refine it next time. Work on the form and structure of it before trying to expand your coloring skills.

- Steve Nedley

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

That statement needs some serious reconsideration.

motomczek is pointing out how your design looks flat and unrealistic. Properly applied shading and line weight would make your creature "pop" and help bring it to life.

I think you need to understand the point of concept art and how it is used in the industry.
    I wouldn't say that any concept needs to be extremely refined and illustrative, but in order to properly convey the design in a realistic manner, you need to have the proper knowledge of anatomy.
    Yes, some professional conceptual art is sketchy/quick, but the core of these sketches is always fundamentally and technically solid.
    This image lacks any of that, unfortunately, but you do show promise withyour ideas.
    No one wants to hire someone to design a creature if the 3D modeler or sculptor has to basically correct all of your anatomy mistakes when he's doing his job.

Bottom line is, I suggest researching the process if you're interested, and open yourself up to critiques. Personally, I find them the most rewarding way to improve.

Phait Guest
    *click.. bo0m*

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Now there's a shock. Melodrama when corrected.

- Steve Nedley

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    *click.. bo0m*
    Don't take it too hard. Everyone goes through a beginning stage. I'm just getting past it myself. I don't know what education you've received so far, but you might want to read "Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain" by Betty Edwards. It's helped me a lot.

Phait Guest
    Not taking it so hard, just didn't expect it to that degree. I haven't gotten any education.. recently bought a book on human figure/anatomy.. I've been drawing since I was 5, on and off, for quite some time stopped and recently got back into it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I am sorry, but that wasnt all that harsh from a crit point of view. A teacher at school told a girl in our class that here concepts she was presenting were nothing but toilet paper, then she proceeded to tear them in half, and tell her to redraw them. So I think you actually got off pretty easy. Dont be so quick to defend, listen to what people have to say, learn from the cuts and bruises

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

use this crit constructively

Phait,

Don't let these crits get you down, rather consider them seriously. These guys arn't out to bash you, just make you better. I've gotten much harder crits, that have flatten me out on my back, but from that experience I just worked harder and my work got alot better, and trust me I still have many harsh crits ahead of me so your not alone. Just work harder. Study study, draw from life and get more books, I would recomend anything on composition, knowing anatomy is just a small part of the whole picture. Good luck,

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    :chug: Awesome red x's

Phait Guest

fixed

thaaarr

Members who have read this thread: 4