Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks

Worlds most expensive painting sold!

And its a beaut!
    Mr Gustave Klimts "Adele Bloch - Bauer 1" was sold for 135 million dollars, quite a bit more than for the previout title holder, Picassos "Boy with a pipe" which went for a measly 104.1 million dollars... chump change!
    And good news for us New Yorkers (yes thats right, Im calling myself a New Yorker from now on, until someone kicks my ass at least), its gonna be on display at the Neue Galerie, because it was bought by Ronald Lauder, the dude who founded it!

sweet sweet stuff!

Worlds most expensive painting sold!
    [url=http://galleryonefone.blogspot.com[/url] This would be my gallery in Sweden

This would be my Pleine Air blog

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 719 Posts
    Well, it's a lot of cash but it is a pretty awesome painting.

In a world where a pickled cow or unmade bed is worth millions, that's probably an ok deal..

Thanks
    Thanked 1,223 Times in 626 Posts
uhm, Why do people wanna spend so much money on a piece of
art they maybe dont even understand the thoughts behind ?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dile
    You sure you dont want to edit that comment dude?
    [url=http://galleryonefone.blogspot.com[/url] This would be my gallery in Sweden

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dile
    Because it will be worth quite a bit more in 50 years?

You don't need to understand art to understand the potential monetary worth of a painting.

Es fließt durch meine Venen, Es schläft in meinen Tränen
    Es läuft mir aus den Ohren, Herz und Nieren sind Motoren

Thanks
    Im VERY angry that it isn`t anymore in my country > ...it is truly a wonderful pic...
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilaekae
    "Art is the physical result of your soul battling with your intellect to the death...with a sharp pencil..."
    THE AUSTRIAN SKETCHLORDS
    Baron Carnifex
    Duke Corky

Thanks
    Dont forget guys, this is the dude that founded the Neue Galerie we are talking about, and he bought it, among other things, to exhibit it for the public, Its not just some Joe Schmoe with a wad of cash.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by timpaatkins
    Dont forget guys, this is the dude that founded the Neue Galerie we are talking about, and he bought it, among other things, to exhibit it for the public, Its not just some Joe Schmoe with a wad of cash.
    Well, it seems that Ronald Lauder is def. no regular schmo. Im sure he's from the Estee Lauder family. They have tons of cash. And I really dont think people would buy a painting like this just for investment purposes because if the value of the painting does rise then there will be even a more limited number of possible buyers in the future. Alot of the time its just a status symbol.. Some people own enormous ships that they brag about, others, Mansions that can house small towns, this guy has the priviledge of saying that he owns the most expensive painting ever sold!
    Mainloop- man i must be dyslexic.. cuz i thought you asked how many people are on lsd

SketchBook
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=237554

Thanks
    Could just be for the love of good art.

Thanks
    Is that more than the Boy With Pipe painting adjusted for inflation?

Thanks
    well, it had to be a Klimt. congrats for his name!
    "Nihil est in intellectu quod non prius in sensu" | SB | Portfolio | FJGC (blog) | DA (Profile) | EJERCICIOS DE COLOR

Thanks
    Thanked 1,478 Times in 470 Posts
    money is such a foggy concept. $50,000 can be one man's life savings and another mans daily earnings. The thing about a person spending 135 million on a painting is they want it, they can afford it, so they buy it. There are people who just have so much money it boggles the mind. Now this guy who bought it, not only is he getting this painting which I'm sure he loves a great deal, but he also has the distinction of owning the worlds most expensive painting as well as outbidding all the other fantastically wealthy people who wanted it.

I don't know if any of you have seen Wall Street, but Michael Douglas has a good speech about a painting he owns and the illusion (of value) becoming real. "The more they want it, the more real it becomes"

It's all relative
    "Every little step considered one at a time is not terribly daunting" - Ethan Coen

New books and process DVD available NOW!

www.dvpalumbo.com

Quickie blog (nudity)

Thanks
    Thanked 16,685 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Worth it.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    hey Tim, I think this show at Neue Galerie opened last week. When are you getting your scrawny ass to NY anyways?

Thanks
    Preliminary plan is the 13 of August, and sweet zombie jesus, I cant wait damn it!

By the way, is that offer of a couch for a week still open, or have you been overrun with other freeloading tennants? Just curious!

Thanks
    Depends of what was the motive to buy. Being an owner of the most expensive painting in the world, well, I don't know. I'm not impressed with that. it is a vanity, in its finest. There are a lot of masterpieces in the world. There are a lot of great art. Their price is a market price, the more masterpieces the less the price. So I don't see the attraction, I would buy more paintings instead one .
    I remember some Japanese firm bought "Sunflowers" by Vincent van Gogh and this was the most expensive painting bought for while. They did it for advertisement of their firm. Show their prosperity and stability, you know.

Painting is lovely, though, but overpriced still, IMHO.

Thanks
    klimt is awesome

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Lohan
    klimt is awesome
    Werd -

When I worked at the Frick Collection they had that Picasso painting you were speaking of Bammer (Boy with Pipe). It's a nice painting- don't get me wrong - but I never thought it should have skyrocketed to such a ridiculous amount.

Of course paying over $100 million for a painting is extreme...but if you were gonna spend all that cash on something, that's a damn good painting to choose. Klimt is one of those guys I actually sincerely believe is a step above the rest. Truly a unique vision.
    *:*www.scottaltmann.com*:*

Thanks
    Thanked 16,685 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sve
    Depends of what was the motive to buy.
    Is philanthropy really such an alien concept to people these days?

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Are you sure it was the reason to buy? .
    I'm just saying the price depends on how many masterpieces are open for buyers. So the title of the most expensive painting, well, it is very relative, you know. I actually understand Japanese firm, but still would prefer to buy many masterpieces for gallery. Not that it matters what I think .
    I buy painting or drawing which makes me think, or sad or happy, you know. Not any other reason.
    Last edited by sve; June 20th, 2006 at 05:47 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,478 Times in 470 Posts
    Being an owner of the most expensive painting in the world, well, I don't know. I'm not impressed with that.
    but some people are, especially other people who have and spend fantastic amounts of money
    "Every little step considered one at a time is not terribly daunting" - Ethan Coen

New books and process DVD available NOW!

www.dvpalumbo.com

Quickie blog (nudity)

Thanks
    Money, prestige, ambitions, pride. . have nothing to do with poor artist's attemts to talk to total strangers about his feelings through his art.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,223 Times in 626 Posts
  • timpaatkins: I did said MAYBE. I even had it in bold, UNDERLINED and in cursive!
    and i also stated that I dont understand it.. sorry to offend, wasnt my purpose, I just wanted to see your opinions about what you think
    of ppl buying stuff for that amount of money! This piece is wonderfull! really beatiful, thats my sent, but still, why so much money ?
    dfacto kind of answered my question.

Thanks
    Supply and Demand.

Thank God that Art can draw that kind of money, it's part of the lure of becoming an artist in the first place (not the money, but rather the value that can be placed on artworks).

Plus there's always the dream that your own works will approach the giddy heights of value that some contemporary artists enjoy.

kndy Guest
    The story behind this painting leading up to Lauder purchasing it, is quite interesting.

kndy

Thanks
    Thanks for the link kndy, was indeed a very interesting read

Thanks
    Sorry Dile, I mistook the underlining, boldness and cursiveness for sarcasm, no harm done!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,309 Times in 389 Posts
    I really dislike these kind of paintings... I almost get Schiele shudders from it. Sorry, but it goes straight into the Helpful Critique Section, falling off the page with 2 replies, both spam. Guuurgh.

The only item I'd pay 135m for is Ripley's Panties.
    Jamen jag tror att han skäms, och har gömt sig. Vårt universum det är en av dom otaliga spermasatser som Herren i sin självhärliga ensamhet har runkat fram för å besudla intet.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sve
    Money, prestige, ambitions, pride. . have nothing to do with poor artist's attemts to talk to total strangers about his feelings through his art.
    I completly understand what your trying to say Sve but, you still fail to realize that we think like artists who love art and appreciate it for all the time, energy, and love we put into it. Now, Im not saying this person didnt buy his painting because he has a strong passion for art, cuz well I never spoke to him but, I have worked at Financial Institutions and two of the largest law firms in the world and having that experience taught me one thing (amongst others) is that just because we're broke deosnt mean everyone else is AND those people who arent broke think totally different from us.

I worked at this small "boutique" style financial institution when i was like 18 and I remember that there were these three guys that were making tons of money for their clients when the internet stocks were flying through the roof (yahoo almost $400 a share! Fucking ridiculous.. Anyways) and they acquired this client who was a British guy. Opened the account with this guy on the first initial call to him for 50k worth of Yahoo. Three days later they called the guy again and he sent over 250k to buy more stock. By the end of the week they had over half a mill of his money and the guy was wanted to send over more but, wanted to meet the guys first. So, he flew down from the UK and saw the office. A week later the guy ended up closing his account with the firm (he started to do some investigating on the people he was doing business with) because he said that "he couldnt do business with a firm that had the same amount of money under management as he had hanging in his house in the UK"!

Point of the story. People sometimes dont care what you can do for them, or the value of your service, or the quality of your performance, sometimes its just really all about prestige.
    Mainloop- man i must be dyslexic.. cuz i thought you asked how many people are on lsd

SketchBook
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=237554

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by timpaatkins
    sorry dude, the two dudes that founded the Galerie are dead. Lauder bought it for the Galerie. Can we say uber tax write off?
    EDIT: sorry, read on and the article said he was the founder. oops. always thought it was Sabarski and the other dude. non the less, we'll still have access to it, so the price paid realy does not matter. I only hope they light it better than they did the Schiele

and yeah, the couch should be available for a week. Unless I move. Arkady 2.0 got himself a job in the city, so i may just have to go on a murderous rampage and/or move.
    Last edited by AmishCommy; June 21st, 2006 at 11:12 AM.

• Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast