Sketchbook: Sklar Sketchbook (updated 11/1/06)

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Sklar Sketchbook (updated 11/1/06)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Sklar Sketchbook (updated 11/1/06)

So uh. Succumbing to peer pressure, I was talked into putting some of my sketchbook stuff on here. I've been looking at you guys for a long time but I rarely get up the nerve to try to put stuff up, but, I've been convinced.

Myxo-whatever-the-hell-it-is who started posting a few days ago is a friend of mine whom I'll be sharing a studio with next year, and I too am a 16 year old art student from MD. Yadda yadda, carver center. I'm essentially his polar opposite, I'm more of a draftsman than a painter and that's why there's no paintings in here, though I may eventually put some in. Yay.

Wouldn't it be nice if I could post in here semi-frequently, I'd enjoy that and it would probably do me some good to do so.

What I'm going to drop right now is a collection of sort of old stuff, some of its old, some of its recent. But I've picked my favorites from what I have and I'll drop them all at the same time:

Just for chronology's sake, this is from a sketchbook from. Sophomore year, I think, I was big into grayscale markers:

This is two pages from a recent sketchbook, these are sort of undefined self portraits but I like what I have anyway. These are sort of page fillers, maybe:

Another self portrait. This one was also a pretty quick one:

Continuing along, a drawing of my girlfriend, my favorite of these smaller drawings:

The last of the small sketches, other people like this one alot, I thought it was kind of bad and the more I look at it the more I question what I was thinking when I laid out these proportions:

And just as some collateral cuz I think I have better work than whats in there, this is a triptych I did around the end of last year. They're all about 1.5 ft x 4 ft:

And some more, a lifesize self portrait I did in charcoal that I just really like. It's somewhere around 3 ft x 7 ft so its actually a little bigger than lifesize, but I don't like to split hairs (this is a terrible slide, but it'll do):

That's all for now? Hopefully I'll be motivated to put more on here later. I'm sure jason (myx) will bother me until I do. As a note theres a drawing of me in there, I'm justin. http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=70375

I look like a lion, it's wonderful.

-Justin Sklar.

Last edited by Capt. Sklar; November 1st, 2006 at 09:38 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Gaah, that full figure's so pretty. You should really upload some detail shots - those pants deserve to be shown in full glorly. And post some of your final paintings, they were fantastic. Still enjoy the last sketchbook drawing of joslyn the best.

More. Like a swan.

Jason

((I hope the hearts don't make me look gay. I'm not. Vouche for me.))

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Quick update? I suck at updating.

This is just something I've been working on. My goal for this summer is to put together an impressive photoshop piece. My computer art class, instead of actually helping me out, basically just makes it more difficult for me to get anything nice to look at done. So. The goal is this sort of. Really iearly-illustration-inspired cute little kid towing along some sort of gigantic beast. At the moment I'm thinking about a tiger but I'm thinking that maybe that's not enough of a contrast. At any rate, here are the first stages of the boy:

This is the first attempt. After some critique there are a ridiculous amount of modifications that need to be made and in the end I've just come to the conclusion that overall the lines are just not sophisticated enough, so I'm gonna try to spruce up the lines and take another shot. I'll probably post pieces of this as I go along. And really I should probably get the entire piece laid out before I go and mess with this but this is what we got.

Any comments would be lovely.

Thanks kids,
    Justin.

Carver Kids(tripleawesome)

My Book

Jason's book

Scott's Book

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your greyscale art are wonderful. I really like the lifesize piece. Very cool.

!darkchild!

Feel free to checkout my work:
    darkchild's sketchbook

Don't forget to visit the Critique Section!!

* Help a CA artist! Visit the Constructive Critique section! *

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Fuck! How come you guys all have good young artist kids over there? South florida has like no motivation at all... aside from Ringling, but they're all grown up..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    See. We went to this special art school, and they were all. Hey, now that you're here, we're just gonna hit you with these rusty, corroded metal rods until you draw well. For three years we attended school, only to be beaten with rigid metal rods, and lo! When we emerged from our shock-induced comas, we were decent artists.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ignore that one. It's not necessarily a matter of how motivated we are. Cuz. Most of it's just the fact that they tell us we need to do lots of work and we're all. Yeah this could be good. And then we're all so competitive we don't wanna show up with something worse than anyone elses so we've all honed our skills to outshine the others.

At any rate. An update. I hope to start putting one of these up a day but I get busy (and lazy) so we'll see how well this works. I wanted to do a page of hand studies cuz I've gone back to using 11x14 sketchbooks and I hadn't done one in a while so I figured I might as well christen it as such. This took me way too long. I should do more. I'm really happy with these though.

There you go. Hopefully I'll put something up tomorrow. Or today. Just later. Something like that.

-Justin.

My Book

Jason's book

Scott's Book

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Surprising, I'm actually doing work. I suppose it's cuz I actually have somewhere to put it now maybe. Anyway, this is something I kinda just kicked out. I'm considering adding to this page because I don't like how its composed. But. It's a torso. I like drawing torsos; I'm skinny and its fun to draw.

Awesome.

-Justin.

My Book

Jason's book

Scott's Book

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The hands are awesome. I need to do some more stuff like that.

!darkchild!

Feel free to checkout my work:
    darkchild's sketchbook

Don't forget to visit the Critique Section!!

* Help a CA artist! Visit the Constructive Critique section! *

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    that tryptich and the charcoal self portrait are really nice. the compositions and the value ranges are good.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the replies.

More work. I'm still working. It's fantastic. I like this one, though the more I look at it the more I recognize flaws in features and such. I don't really plan to fix it though. The nose on the back one especially is jacked up (I kinda look like some sort of dr. seuss character) and there's something going on with the underside of my chin on the front one. Looks good enough to me though.

Here we go:

Awesome.

-Justin.

My Book

Jason's book

Scott's Book

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    very good! love the expressions and overall conceptz.

Talent and Creativity are yours to use and keep

[S K E T C H B O O K]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Jeez. I've been lazy. I was doing so well with the posting every day. I haven't posted since the 30th? Damn. Well whatever. I finished this yesterday but was too lazy to upload it so we'll just do it today and then I'll put up something new tomorrow. I'm working out some ideas for a big piece I plan on doing soon.

The pose and such is similar to the last one cuz I'm trying to work out specific elements. The piece I'm looking for is going to be a part of a series. I'm thinking reasonably large (by which I mean maybe 4 x 5 or 6 feet. I'm thinking mostly shoulders up and basically portraiture. I want a focus on the neck and collarbone area, both of which I'm gonna try to make as elegant as possible. I intend also to do one of my girlfriend, sketches for which I hope to put up tomorrow.

Here's the sketch for today:

Any input is certainly welcome (and appreciated).

Thanks to the few of you who've commented.

-Justin

My Book

Jason's book

Scott's Book

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you're totally awesome man, the lifesized SP looks so great it's scary actually haha.
    The latest looks cool, the eyes on the guy furthest back looks a bit unsymetric tho, or how to put it.. I don't know haha, but well, it's not much but it's hard to crit your stuff right now really, just keep drawing and you'll get big - bigger that is.

tiger.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I agree about the eyes being unsymmetrical. I guess these are sketches though, so it's not entirely important to me that proportions be dead on. When I move up to the giant size actual piece, I'll spend a few hours suring up all the proportions. Hopefully this'll be enough motivation to get this piece started soon. Actually, I'm gonna go cut the paper for this right now.

You've inspired me.

-Justin.

My Book

Jason's book

Scott's Book

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great work, especially with the life-size. On some of your recent figures the shading (on chests mostly) looks superficial or symbolic, not really describing form. Good form, regardless.

Sketchbook

Don't miss the rise

This is actually Wolverine's sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Alright so a new update. This is the final sketch for the big piece I'm going to hopefully start tomorrow (I really should start it tomorrow, whether I will or not is up for debate). I think that this is the final gesture and such I'm going to use. My expression is a tiny bit surprised looking and that may change.

I spent way too much time on this. I agree about my torsos not really being descriptive of the form, and that appears here as well. I think when I do the final I'm gonna move the composition up a little bt until just below the collar bone. This sketch doesn't go low enough down to give me room enough to describe anything. I look amorphous and like I'm missing an arm. Awesome. My hair, furthermore, is a beast and has not been properly dealt with in this sketch and will soon be the bane of my existence when I try to fully render that in front of what I'm imagining will be an equally complex background.

I guess that's all? I probably won't be posting sketches for a little bit, instead I'll post progress shots of my large piece. I hope to finish it by the end of this week. But. We'll see how well that works out.

My Book

Jason's book

Scott's Book

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    His left side looks so much larger. It's a nice drawing but it has some glaring proportion erros.

Sketchbook

Don't miss the rise

This is actually Wolverine's sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    these self portraits are cool, keep it up man

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey nice sketchbook!

rocking that graphite and charcoal!
    nice hand studies!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Finally updating

Well well. I've been busy out of my skull for the past month and change, so I haven't updated. But. THat's not to say that I haven't been producing work. Here's a piece I've been working on for a while. It's basically done. Along with that are some progress shots. I use that term loosely. There's two of them, they were taken at random intervals through the drawing and there's a large discrepancy between the last progress shot and the finished piece, but something is better than nothing, I suppose. These pieces are 42" x 48", charcoal on paper.

Here's another one that's part of that series. This one isn't finished, although it's close.

Gotta throw a big shadow behind it to up the contrast. There's a third piece to that series but I'm not putting it up yet, it's too unfinished to justify doing so. You'll see it eventually.

I have about 15 more sketchbook-sketches to throw in as well, hopefully I'll put those up tomorrow.

At any rate, any comments are appreciated, thanks to all of you who've already commented.

My Book

Jason's book

Scott's Book

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Super rad portraits man! Bravo I say.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thats awesome! do you know that really talkative kid jake?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.