Sketchbook: Drawings and other things that go Bump
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Drawings and other things that go Bump

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Drawings and other things that go Bump

Hey there all! I've been lurking for some time now and went down to the workshop in montreal. desided i really need to start up a sketchbook.

anyways, youll probably find many different things in here. one of the most interesting critiques i got at the workshop was from marko, coro, and dan milligan. saying the my work lacks a clear "voice" or vision. and i can see what they mean. so my attempt this summer (before school) is to start to find my voice, work on my foundation skills (colour, anatomy, better understanding of form and shape) and just generally drawing more.

this task is tricky of course since i work 8 hours 4 days a week and live with my girlfriend during the summer. balancing all those things will be interesting and i hope to manage it well. who knows! anyways ill cut to the chase.

I'm from toronto, and going into my second year of traditional animation at seneca college. my main goal is to become a concept artist in the gaming industry. but simply working in the gaming industry as an artist is something im happy with too. i havnt delved into 3d yet since i want to focus on 2d atm before worrying about something else, but 3d certainly seems like something i could definately enjoy, but of course that remains to be seen.

hopefully thats enough info for anybody actually interested, ill post a picture of myself for the workshop people incase anyone remembers me. heres the art!

these first ones are my first speedpaints ever, testing with colour and mood a bit. done with 3ch that i edited slightly. the first being "a fantomatic boat from space attacks a satyr in a well in a fantasy setting" and the second being "an angry child ingnites a scorpion in the flowers" these are pretty shitty and done in an hour, cept the scorpion one, which was 1 hour an 30 minutes. that was also my first one.

the next pieces are subway sketches, they started pretty rough and got a bit better after a critique from bobby chu, tho i definately need more work.

Attached Images Attached Images                
    Last edited by DanJohnCox; June 20th, 2006 at 10:36 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    cool lookin sketches man, diggin the kid with the firbreath... and the big fuckin rooster/chicken, could make a great BK add some day or somethin... hahaha...

some observations: sketch with guy wearin his hat to the side, it seems you tilted his head to his right, but it seems you forgot to shift over his ear and his hairline, it should be approximately 2 eye lengths from the edge of his eye to the edge of his ear... maybe im wrong... iunno, but his ear seems a bit to far away from his eye as if you tilted his face, not his entire head...

"KEEEE-YYYAAAAAAHHHHHH B!TCH!!!!" - Ed Wuncler III, The Boondocks

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This1: thanks man, and yeah youre probably right about that ear, ive got issues with that. i often dont space the front of the face well with the side.

now some stuff from work today.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    okay! heres some old stuff. its chronological, most of the coloured stuff dates back to about 1 year ago. but the oldest stuff is first, and the newest, last.

PS: the naruto stuff, was for a convention and commissions. i dont like, nor care for fan art normally but it helps pay for school. and btw, the coloured village on the water, i didnt draw that one. simply coloured it for school. and the daylight one isnt even very good, i had to change it from what i had and rushed the final of that.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    some life drawings for yas!

i havnt been to life drawing formally for awhile now. and when i have been its been with a sketchbook, noting the origin and insertion for muscles in the torso. im playing around with a few things right now. one being gesture, another being blind contour. theres 2 blind contours in there aswell as a purely gestureal drawing, no masses noted in it.

with pretty much all of these i was concerned with the gesture atm, not as much about proportion. and in some cases, not even concerned about mass or form, simply movement. this is an exercise from "the natural way to draw" damn good book i must say.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I already see improvement in line quality. Keep it up man!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    whoa man, wondering if this thread is still alive!

ULTIMATE SKETCH GROUP
    Angelo | Gredgie | Matty

Website - Look at me
    Email - Hire me
    Facebook - Be my friend, pleaseeeee
    Nocturnal Concept Emissions - Surprise

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.