IDW 0012: Peacetime Transport [VOTING]

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

View Poll Results: Vote for your favourite.

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sogbad

2 4.88%
  • Goran

1 2.44%
  • Graphuji

0 0%
  • Ferak Seg

14 34.15%
  • PianoForte

0 0%
  • Octothreat

0 0%
  • Chuck, mate.

2 4.88%
  • Flip

2 4.88%
  • cmr8286

0 0%
  • Rawwad

20 48.78%
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Its time to vote - please keep the topic and rules in mind, and note that your votes are public.

Topic: Peacetime Transport

Background:
    In an extremely unlikely, yet ideal future, there is no war. There is no large scale dissention between political parties, governments, or nations. There has been a significant paradigm shift which has lead to a cooperative global society focused on sustainable ecology.

New technology has enabled small scale duplication of raw materials through atom 'breeding' - meaning that many of the crises involving resource scares are no longer an issue, and production of material goods can continue as before.

In this secure peacetime, attentions are turned to quality of life. Within this is a greater appreciation by all people, of the power of beauty, and a greater understanding of aesthetics. This has led to a backwards shift in trends to older classical periods of decadence, decoration and art.

Brief: Your task is to design a vehicle of any kind (land, sea, air) for this new age. Technology is advanced, and so is an appreciation of classical design/art/methods. There is no need for any design to counterract aggression - the overwhelming majority of earths vehicles are now designed for luxury and pleasure.

To clarify, one example could be a car based on art deco. The period is roughly 50 years advanced - 2050 or so.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------

sogbad

Too long have we been promised flying cars, but now in the year 2056, well we still don't have flying cars but we do have anti-gravity hover car/boat/cruisers… The Classic Duesenberg Car Company of the early 20th Century 1913-1937, considered to be the height of opulence and luxury is revived to create luxury anti-gravity cruisers for the new socialites. The cruisers hover 3-10' off of the surface and can reach speeds of up to 200mph

-------------

Goran

-------------------

Graphuji

An enormous airship, built to allow people to tour the entire world. A floating hotel to see the beauty of the earth from the sky.

-------------------

ferak seg

-------------------------

PianoForte

Octothreat

Chuck, mate.

Flip

Nastrorosso (badged Redtape in Italy)
    With a roomy and comfortable interior for 7, coolboxes for drinks and no need of a driver, the Nastrorosso harks back to the days of chauffeurs and limousines. It offers a completely private experience, with the door-window a one-way mirror and the state-of-the-art voice controlled auto-driver that boasts a smoother and faster ride than standard auto-drivers..

cmr8286

DT Motors presents the DT v16 Roadster, the ultimate luxury motorcar, new for 2050. Powered by a classic sixteen-cylinder gasoline driven engine, the DT Roadster delivers an incredibly smooth ride, and unprecedented horsepower. Its uniquely styled chaise is reminiscent of the halcyon days of automotive design, with distinctive details evoking the work of Art Deco era designers such as Walter Dorwin Teague and Raymond Loewy. The DT Roadster represents the ultimate blend of classic style and cutting edge automotive technology to deliver the ultimate luxury driving experince.

rawwad

Legend - luxury hover ship for long travels, something like future yacht. After invention of cheap antigravity power-engine, society go at next industrial evolution level. Everything became now more faster and easy, we started prosper like no before. We built huge hyper cities in short time, because antigravity invention helped everywhere. But bigest advance was in means of transport, we made a new era of hi-tech hoverships and antigravity vehicles.

-----------------------------\\\

Baron - not accepted.

Many others, were very very close to not being accepted either. Please take this as a weekly activity. This is not for sketches and wips. Ta.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Form, you can remove mine. I have not been able to finish it. Couldn't define many designs more precisely ( the habitations parts for exemple, even if it is not the most important part of my concept) , so this is only a "work in progress". I wish i could have succeed in putting my idea in concrete form, but I didn't. So...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ferak seg : no way man, I vote for yours.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    im keeping yours in ferak. It may not be fully fleshed out, but i really like it a lot as a core design

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    it was a 3 way decision for me between flip, rawwad, and ferak seg

Flip - I really liked the motivation behind yours. The simple rendering still held something really atmospheric for me... not sure what it was, but yours just felt cool to me... Wildcard!

Rawwad - Really sweet rendering - and i love the fact that you were brave in making it so assymetrical. Your ID skills are obviously top shelf.

In the end voted for ferak - i thought the rendering was overly simple, and that made it hard to choose to vote for you. However i generally base my votes on design over rendering about 60/40... and the great cultural influences showing, as well as the lovely epic sense of scale with the palm trees... you got it for me.

Cheers guys hope to see you in the next topic.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    rawwad gets my vote... i think you have the tightest piece, even though its more of a sketch. Some of the other pieces don't really look finished or really arnt clear enough to communicate the concept (Graphuji, I'm looking at you. Looks like you have control over the medium but you might reconsider the composition). Anyway, this was fun. Looking forward to next week.

Also, I know that its impossible to say for sure, but I'd bet that fifty years from now we will not be driving around in hover cars or spaceships. Just throwing that out there.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    rawwad - I like your style - here's a brownie point for you (vote, click)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Really difficult one to decide.
    Ferak seg's really addressed the brief well, a finished piece would've got my vote.
    Rawwad's was my favourite design and illustration, however it didn't fit the brief so well.
    I ended up voting for sogbad, it's a bit sketchy, but it fits the brief well and you did a good job with your branding, it definitely draws on the old Duesenbergs.

Research shows Industrial Design of the Week is addictive.
    Come get your fix.

Sculpty Fight! - The Sculpt & 3D Challenge

Flipbook 2
    www.Philistine.com.au

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i think people missed the point here...

though (most voted) Rawwad`s piece is excellent and really well done - it looks like a Battle-ship , rather than a peacetime vehicle.
    the straight lines, the raugh feel, the gloomy colors and the whole Missile shaped elements just screams WAR.
    dunno what to tell ya, people...
    ho, well.

We all pay for life with death, so everything in between should be free.
    -Bill Hicks

Sketchbook Old SketchBook Portfolio GorillaArtFare

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    it looks like a Battle-ship
    Yeas, you have right, but when most of us heard peace, have in mind somenthing beautiful, white, elegant, clean, ....
    And I say, why? Peace is only normal time, without war, but everything bad is still in peopleand society. For us is violence natural, and when we haven´t chance to put it out in wars and other conflicts, that we need another form for violence. And design is great for showing our feelings out, when we are predators, we need something agresive, dynamic, hard also in peace time.
    That´s the reason why it looks that, maybe someone like it because it looks different and maybe someone don´t because need something much gentle.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ferak got mine, I think he got across the concept I was going for - only much better. Flip was a strong one, but the little sketches at the bottom took away from the design rather than added to it for me.

cmr8286, I think you're spot on there. I realised that the composition wasn't showing off the design to it's best so I did some vector profiles, unfortunately I couldn't stop it looking like a cigar with a gondola strapped to the bottom - so they got left out.

Agree on the 'war' point, something can be appear aggressive whilst being peacful in intent - I think sogbad and PianoForte's designs are built along these lines. However rawwad's loses the peaceful feeling as I'm getting a strong 'starship troopers' vibe from it.

SKETCHBOOK!
    IF THIS POST DOES NOT CONTAIN SKETCHES OR PAINTINGS - REPRIMAND ME!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I voted for Ferak also. I would love to see it finished. The style is great so far.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,220 Times in 624 Posts
    Follows
    Following
Rawwad! I were going to vote for Ferak first, if Rawwad wouldnt have participated.. but now rawwad gets my vote! and damn your improvement
from the DSG's over at CGtalk..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ouuu real tough decision for me, It came down to ferak seg, Flip, Chuck mate, and goran.

Ferak I really like your design, its got a classical look to it, its simple, and it really stands out.

Flip I like the little pictures showing the inside of the vehical and a nice render job too.

Chuck, as always I really dig your style man, a real good cartoon feel to it.

and
    goran very nice render. I would have liked to see a more 3d perspective painted though cause the wheels would look real cool with that translucent like surface.

I voted for ferak, because It was a tough decision and in the end I feel that ferak could use the vote to help him close in on Rawwad, I agree with chuck it looks more like a battle ship, although a very well done battleship!
    edit:Let me make this clear before some one misinterperets.... I did not vote for ferak seg so his vote count would go up to close the gap with rawwad, I think his piece was the most visually pleasing with good style, as well as best concept for the topic this round, a bonus is that mabee the vote will help him win! thats all.
    Nice work all around!

Last edited by Mr-Joe; June 20th, 2006 at 09:32 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I didn't like goran's as much as I remembered.

v - Chuck

Once again, chuck hits the topic dead on.

Website

New World Creation: Designers Wanted – Environment of the Week

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ferak seg got my vote, its just the most outstanding design here and fits well with the topic, rawwads drawing style was nice too, but it looks more like a warship taken from star wars than a transport used in times of peace

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I vote for Flip, really great work, I like it because it has very sympatic car design looking, also idea is very good

Second which I like very much is ferak seg´s work, I love concepts like this, great idea man!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ferak, I voted for yours. I love the design, and there is a definite period inspiration to it (deco?, neoclassical?).
    Rawwad, you were my second choice, but as it was said before, your ship looks like it is ready for battle and speed. I find it beautifully executed, but not beautiful, meaning as an artist I think it is an awesome piece, but if I was a person living in this peaceful, aesthetically obsessed world, I would not consider it an attractive method of transport.
    You are right to say that there are cliches in what is considered beautiful or peaceful looking, but I think sometimes the cliche wins us over.
    Still, the execution is excellent, and I always love your line work.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I would love to see Rawwad's ship done in more whites, on a blue sky background

I bet that would give it the more peaceful look, if it has the clean white shine of a giant futuristic luxury yacht sailing in tranquil skies.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thank you very much everyone! I which I could have done better but it was too much work for such a short time. It seems I start to succeed in finishing my work in time.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm dissapointed mine could not be included. It was a finished work (as finished as I could make it) and I wish I knew more about uploading pictures. I feel that the image hosting may have hindered this picture. Although, I don't blame anyone for excluding my picture. When I get a tablet I will compete more, but I don't think I will compete with traditional methods of drawing.

All in all, loved everyones work, and it was a fun experience nonetheless.

Perhaps you'll see more of me in years to come. (when I'm obviously better)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A few nice illustrations here although its a pity not many more entered. Would have been good to see a larger and creative exploration of the transportation theme

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Baron, it wasn't that your work wasn't good... It just had the feel of an unfinished work.. drawing in blues is usually a color for sketching out / shaping out a drawing, which is then covered over with ink or such.. then erased later, or scanned into something like photoshop to be further worked..

The hosting might have shrinked your image, but that is a setting you can change with imageshack, or you can enlarge a photo in a photo editing program prior to uploading.

It seems a lot of people here do their work on paper traditionally 1st, and then edit it with photoshop later. Take Rawwad's cruiser - if you look on the original thread you can see the original ink / marker? picture he did prior to messing with it a bit...

You could certainly compete with traditional drawing styles, but just add more to what you do - your vehicle could have easily been fine in just that medium, but it has no background, no particular detail, or any sense of scale or anything..

It was good, but just needed more to be something that could be viewed as complete...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks a lot Kujo, that makes me feel a whole lot better.

I understand where my downfall was, and I will work harder in that next time.

Thanks again for taking my complaining so professionally.

• Members who have read this thread: 3