Sketchbook: .:: Still Goin' ::. - Page 2
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: .:: Still Goin' ::.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

BoneFragments

HunterKiller <> got some good things happening here <> remember that eye, hand coordination is the craft and that eye, brain, hand coordination is the art.

Concentrate on doing lots of drawings and thinking about them a lot.

When you make a mark/line think about what you want it to do/say.

Drawing is the artist language and we need to think before we speak if we what to be heard.

Starred you up <> thanks for dropping by and feeding the monkey

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following User Says Thank You to mentler For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    good stuff here.keep posting and stick to the studies..

thanks for your comment

Thanks
    Thanked 3,344 Times in 1,123 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Been a while mister, shovel some more coal in the furnace and get some studies out!

Though school might be kicking you in the nethers right now, if so, can't wait for more after it's done

Last edited by Jason Rainville; May 14th, 2007 at 05:25 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey we have the same skull (cast that is)

Keep up the life drawings they are pretty nice.

HunterKiller_ is offline Registered User Level 15 Gladiator: Spartacus' Hoplomachi
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,004 Times in 654 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Time for an update! First the replies.
    Thanks to everybody for taking the time to look and comment.

dmitri: Thanks for the helpful tips. I definitely make better lines by thinking about what I drawing, but it's a habit I'm still trying to get into.

Kronos: Yay for NZ, indeed. Thanks for your advice.

molotov_billy: I'll have to get around to trying that exercise sometime soon. Thanks for suggesting it.

mentler: Thank you, mentler!

dorobo: Thanks for droppin' by.

Rhineville: Hey again Rhine. I've been drawing, but haven't been bothered updating (again x.x). Here they are now!

Qitsune: Thank you! I don't have the actually skull cast, that was just from a photo. I would very much like to have a skull model, though. =\

HunterKiller_ is offline Registered User Level 15 Gladiator: Spartacus' Hoplomachi
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Update - 4th of June 2007

Haven't kept my sketchbook updated regularly AGAIN!
    I'm so horrible at this, but here is the due big dump. Check it out.
    Thanks!

Attached Images Attached Images                    

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Update continued...

Here are a few from yesterday on a trip to the museum.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Checking in... whoah, nice cats! bobcats, lynxes? Good positive negative balance on the one in the upper left. The one drinking is great too.

I saw from some earlier posts in here that you're working on improving your line quality in life drawing. Apologies if people have already proscribed these, but a couple of things that might help you loosen up (I usually do these to warm up) are:
    - blind gesture drawings (helps break the habit of focusing too intently on the drawing by forcing you to focus only on the model)
    - gesture drawing with keeping your instrument in contact with the page. Don't lift your pen or pencil off the surface, just keep moving and you'll figure out how to move lines in and out of the forms.
    - stand arms length away from your pad and draw with your whole arm. Lock your wrist (don't cramp!) and use your whole arm, shoulders, whatever, to move your lines across the page. Broad sweeping strokes are ok.
    - always stand when drawing figure. I've fallen out of this habit recently but it will keep you alert and moving more than sitting.

Good luck man, keep it up. I gotta get back to some figure sessions myself...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looks like you've got a good balance of gesture and slower stuff, lots of different subject matter as well. Keep up the anatomy studies! Don't sweat the line quality too much, it will come with time - just keep up your gesture work, and you'll be laughing at your old stuff in no time!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    peter_john: Thanks for droppin' in.
    lynxes are very cool! ^.^ Thanks for the tips.
    "- gesture drawing with keeping your instrument in contact with the page. Don't lift your pen or pencil off the surface, just keep moving and you'll figure out how to move lines in and out of the forms."
    I haven't tried this technique before. I'll be sure to give it a go.

molotov_billy: Thanks for your encouragement.

----------------------
    I've still got a load of new life drawings to post, but my digital camera won't work with XP64bit. >=(
    I want to get some crits on those badly, but they'll have to wait.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice sb man!

pld: NEED CRITIQUE! But BEWARE your Eyes might BLEED OUT of YOUR eye SOCKETS <---cause I really suck and haven't done shit pld:
    My Sketch Book!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm digging those skull studies a lot. For gestures on figures I would recommend a single line vs many tiny strokes all over lapping each other. Your line quality has improved a lot since your first post!

Make a sketchbook happy, feed it a tip to improve!

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=85628

Piranha Clan is offline Unscarred by trials...a new level... Level 6 Gladiator: Provocator
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice animal studies. The lynx looks good.

Watch out for Piranhas

PIRANHA'S SKETCHBOOK

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    awsome studies man =) nice !

Have a look at my m i N z k e t c h b o o k

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Update - 14th of June 2007

RaistlinTheDark: Thank you.
    Pigeonkill: Good to know that somebody thinks it's improved. Thanks.
    Piranha Clan: Thanks.
    miNze: Thank you.

Thank you for your comments and views!

-------------------------------------------
    Just a few pages here.
    Creatures and faces.
    Digital doodles result from looking at too many deep-sea creature photos.

davi is offline Administrator & Community Manager. Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,194 Times in 254 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    great improvements going on here, i would really like you to focus on doing more full rendering on some of your works. Practice completely rendering out an object from the lightest lights and go to the darkest darks. Alot of your rendering is really hard scattered lines, these only take away from the linework of the rest of your sketch

keep it up! Again, great procress so far, you seem to have a really good ear for taking in suggestions, so as long as people keep critting you, and you keep posting results, i have a feeling you are going to go far here.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to davi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Improving. Be sure to draw much from life, you see how the photographs are flattening your studies. Good sense of form.

Sketchbook

Don't miss the rise

This is actually Wolverine's sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    davi: Thanks a lot for dropping by. I will definitely do more of what you've said.

Listing: Thanks for checking out my SB. I definitely try to draw from life, but all these nice pictures on the internet drag me away from simpler objects from life, hehe. I will try harder. Thanks.

Here's something from an OC session last night. The theme was 'mechs' and the other guy said this looks old school, hehe.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    cool man I like your practises on specific part of human, remind me I haven't drawn that for long time, like the nose and eyes, cool sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Update - 20th of June 2007

openanewworld: Thanks for comin' in.

--------------------------------
    Keeping updated regularly.
    Couple of fun character sketchies. I'm rarely able to pull off my own imagined concepts, so it's a great reward when I do. After all, it's what this is all about!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

11th of July 2007

Quick dump.
    I should have my life drawings up tomorrow, yay.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Life Drawings! 12th of July 2007

Finally, my long promised figure drawings. I didn't think they would ever make here, but after a lot photoshopping, here they are.

I didn't bother to go through the shit from last year. These are all recent from about April to June this year.
    I only took photos of the long poses of each session. They range from 10 to 30 minutes.

Without further a due, ladies and gentleman, fire up your critique engines! *VROOM*

P.S I'd be happy to provide closeups if anybody wants.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,277 Times in 551 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    hey HK,

i don't know where to begin on advice and all, so i'm going to stick to your life drawings since that's what i have the most experience in... and i'm gonna use a list-like format

1) don't be discouraged. there are a lot of potential problems that you have already avoided. the most important thing i see you've accomplished is that you know when to use a line and when to imply something with a tone. e.g. when you draw a face from dead-on front view, you don't outline the nose--that's good. you also don't stick a bunch of imaginary muscle lines all over everything--that's also good. too many people use a manga-ish approach without understanding that.

2)that said, you need to have "bigger" lines. by that i mean you need to draw from the shoulder more. some of your lines look hesitant and sketchy. that may simply be because you're resting your hand on the paper and drawing from your wrist. you have a good sense of gesture and layout already, but the thing that ties the figure together is the long sweeping rhythms.

3) i'd suggest "trapping your shadow shapes". By that I mean you should think in only 2 tones for a while. light and shadow. if there's a halftone, call it part of the light rather than part of the shadow. and when you do this, draw the "core shadow" as a soft blurry line on round forms, and somewhat sharper on smaller forms. just concentrate on where you put them and what kind of edge you put on those shapes--hard, soft or "lost". after your 30 minutes are up, just go back and fill in those shadow shapes with a nice, even tone. BUT, while your drawing, concentrate on accurately finding those shapes. the shadow boundaries and their edges that curve around forms are what make something look solid. massing together shadows gives a figure unity and strength.

4. if you're dong these pretty regularly, try to use a consistent size of paper (i don't know if you are or not from these pictures). For a standing pose, you should have a pretty good idea of how big to draw the head from repeated practice. That first head oval you sketch in should be close to the right size and it should come automatically. the rest of the figure can be measured by it and it will then fit on the page. maybe practice on some scrap newsprint a few times. you should be able to figure out that the average head oval should be somewhere between 2.5 and 3 inches tall for your average full-length figure on 18x24 paper.

5. building on point 4. treat this stuff as a specific exercise. by eliminating variables and things that could go wrong, you can concentrate on fixing one problem at a time. if your construction seems off, don't worry about shading because it just adds to the confusion and will make the 30 minutes seem too short. the basics to concentrate on are gesture and placement on the page, construction/anatomy, light/shade/form/shape. each of these areas of study requires a different approach. for example, to practice gesture/rhythm/placement, i would always draw in a picture frame and focus on the biggest rhythmical lines and proportions and how they "fit" in the box. for construction, i would "draw through" the forms like they're almost transparent (again using the biggest arm/hand motion possible). for light and shade, i would just map out the figure in 2 tones concentrating on shape rhythm, grouping and edges. any thirty minute drawing will use at least 2 of these aspects.

by picking an aspect of figure drawing to focus on, you will automatically notice your progress. and you'll be surprised by how the ones you're not focusing on also improve while you're not worrying about them.

anyway, i'm not trying to lecture like i know it all... but picking on certain things to prioritize on will definitely help. i did the attached thing in painter in about 10 minutes to show you what i am talking about.

6 get in the habit of using tracing paper. if you don't want to trace photographs, ,go back and trace all of these life drawings making corrections and adding emphasis to form or tone or gesture. you don't have to worry about overall placement since you've already drawn it underneath, just concentrate on making that mark that you wanted to make in the first place. this is what helped me start to get a little confidence in my own work.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ccsears For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What a response! Thank you very much Mr. Sears.
    I haven't really gone into life drawing with a focus before, only to replicate the model on paper as realistically as I can.
    I'll be sure to decide on single focus points from now now.

As for tracing, I've done it a few times only, just tracing over images on the computer when I'm struggling to draw it.
    I'm not so confident about tracing over my own figure drawings, because my anatomy knowledge isn't good enough yet to pick out the major mistakes, all I can find are minor hiccups.

Line control is something I'm constantly aware of now and always working to improve, and I think I do sees some improvements.

Drawing in two tones, or the shadows as shapes is something I've been meaning to start, as I understand it's an important skill and great exercise.

Thanks again!

Henchman 21 is offline A dream to some...A nightmare to others! Level 5 Gladiator: Myrmillo
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the forms comin out real well. that leg drawing in stages looks reaaaaly tight as well.

-HAHAHA B.B.F.F. Forever...-
    Crimson Daggers! live in the Danger Room, daily at 10am est!

http://livestream.com/danielsdangerroom

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Henchman 21: Thanks man. I should have some more of these anatomy drawings coming.
    I figured that if I make these type of drawings of the whole body (out of my anatomy book), my anatomy knowledge should increase a few levels.
    -----------------------------------------

A quick concept. Working on my color and design skills, and just trying to liven up my dull SB.
    I guess it's a flying searchlight?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Those anatomy studies are looking good. I like the last couple updates, nice sb so far.

Ink Monkey, Blog Yet anouther blogger slave.

Ink Monkeys CA Sketch Book Thanks for the Drop In

Currently Living in Woodbridge, VA (Washington DC Metro area)
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Hunter

I was just going through your book everyone here has given you a wealth of information. I can see so much improvement from your first postings. Any way I am writing this in regard to the Riven Phoenix Structure of man post you asked a question and I will answer it to the best of my ability. I actually own the DVD's I find that for what they are they are actually fairly decent although they are not meant to be an accurate representation of the human anatomy he is primarily trying to show proportion and placement. Based on the grid system which is correct but does not give you the natural appearance of the skeleton that you are looking for, When have you ever seen a square skull. You need to take what you gain from the Riven phoenix stuff and draw over it using an anatomy book to make sure you get proper curves in place for a more natural look. What he is really trying to show you is methods for producing a skull in proportion from your head (the mind ) when there is nothing there to observe it does do that but you have to have some knowledge of human anatomy to then take that and make it look more realistic. And you are definately on the right track.

I have a lot of anatomy books and have actually studied human gross anatomy (Cadaver dissection) while in school and I still find new things all the time. Riven Phoenix Video's are not 100% accurate But if you combine what he shows you with some good anatomy books and a lot of life drawing it would actually prove beneficial. Remember there is no one way to produce a drawing but there are a lot of rules to help you in doing a drawing, so you just have to find out what works best for you.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Update - 28th of July 2007

Ink_Monkey: Thanks man.
    jn2art: Good to know somebody think I'm improving, haha.
    I appreciate the explanation on R.Phoenix's videos. Thanks.

Thanks for all the support from everyone! Greatly appreciated.
    I even have stars now! Eeek! pld:

Small update here just to keep things fresh.

Finally getting back into some long over due anatomy studies. Starting with the foot, because I'm having so much trouble with it.

Figure drawings from last weeks class.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your life drawings are beautiful man. The 1min poses from the last post are so spot on, its awesome !

Last edited by Loolarge; July 28th, 2007 at 04:00 AM. Reason: spelling

Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 23